Author Topic: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'  (Read 36645 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

I Might Be Wrong Here - But I Think They Give Us Instructions For A Reason  :o

I shot a couple of coats of Tamiya Flat Red on my fuselage, and was pretty happy with the result. That was until I looked at the instructions and suddenly realized that the headrest that I had installed wasn't supposed to be there. Seriously.  :o  What to do?

Well, there was nothing to do but remove it, and that called for some delicate work. So, armed with a my trusty pair of plyers, I ripped it right off. Luckily, I had glued it on so well that it only took four applications of the pliers to get it all off.  :'( 

After taking the image below, I noticed that there was a small sunken mark on the left side of the fuselage so I decided to address that too. Never having tried correction fluid as a filler, I gave it a shot and it really does work quite well.

Let's have another look at those instructions, just for the fun of it, says I. Hmmm . . . it seems that I had also forgotten to apply a giant white 'W' on the top wing! Well, well, isn't that just lovely, especially since I had sealed the wing after considering it to be completed.

After the requisite sanding of the fuselage, I'm ready to mask it again and re-shoot the red. I've also brushed a liberal coat of Future on the wing, so I can apply the 'W'.

You know, I think they really do expect me to read their instructions. One of these days, I probably will.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
When all else fails.......Looks good anyways

Steve

Offline RAGIII

chris, good to see you are recovering from your small issues ! The overall painting looks grreat.  Like your choice of PC10 and the red is a good match for roundel red.

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Looking good Chris, shame about the 'hump', hope it turns out OK.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline phs Paddy

You really do excellant work Chris. It seems the only place you're deficient is in you reading skills or is that attention skills?  ::) Just joshin'ya.

It’s coming along grand. Fun to watch and read too.  ;D

Paddy  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:01:36 AM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Epeeman

Looking good, there Chris -

I would not worry about the mistakes - we all seem to make one or two during a build.  In fact, I never fail to be amazed at how they just seem to creep up an bite you - one of those arghhhhh!!! moments.  They always seem to get resolved in the end though. 

Just be aware (I've recently built the Hisso engine version of this SE5a Roden kit) that with the engine fitted, the cowling covers do not fit well.

Good luck with the rest of the build - will look forward to seeing the end result of all your hard work.

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Chris Johnson

Thanks for your support guys. None of my issues in building this kit are attributable to the kit, but instead, I shoulder all the blame. Part of the fun with these build logs is to tell you fellows about all of the trials and tribulations I encounter along the way. If you get a smile or two when reading about them, then it might keep you coming back to see if I ever do end up with something that resembles an S.E.5a.

Full steam ahead and damn the instructions!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline RAGIII

Thanks for your support guys. None of my issues in building this kit are attributable to the kit, but instead, I shoulder all the blame. Part of the fun with these build logs is to tell you fellows about all of the trials and tribulations I encounter along the way. If you get a smile or two when reading about them, then it might keep you coming back to see if I ever do end up with something that resembles an S.E.5a.

Full steam ahead and damn the instructions!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, this is one of the things I love about your builds! Makes me realize just how "Normal" my building experiences are. If you ever want a giggle go back and read some of my IM build reviews. I am quite honest in them about MY Mistakes and screw ups, try to make it humerous most of the time  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Whiteknuckles

Thanks for the refreshing humility Chris ;)
Enjoying your build, warts and all!! ;D

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Yes I have screw ups as well, but don't you guys find that the screw ups occur when you have a beautifully finished part that you are assembling to another beautifully finished part and grrrr a wayward blob of glue spoils the finish on one of the parts, the air turns blue, the wife leaves home and the dog seeks refuge in the garden and so it goes on.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Epeeman

Oh, Pete -

I could not agree more, mate -

During these times, I get the bit from the wife along the lines of 'I thought model making was supposed to be a relaxing hobby - it's only a model so why are you getting so cross?'

If only non-modellers could understand all the hard work and effort that goes into it......................

Chris - apologies for hijacking your thread, mate.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
The 5a is looking grand Chris, I really like the red you are using, this will be one very smart looking model when she is finished. Mistakes, errors, blues, hiccups, these are all defined as being a learning curve, we learn by these trials and tribulations and end up as being better modelers and better prepared for the next challenge. You show tremendous talent by how you overcome these little bumps in the road, your skills as a WW1 aircraft modeler are certainly shining through.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

Yes I have screw ups as well, but don't you guys find that the screw ups occur when you have a beautifully finished part that you are assembling to another beautifully finished part and grrrr a wayward blob of glue spoils the finish on one of the parts, the air turns blue, the wife leaves home and the dog seeks refuge in the garden and so it goes on.

Cheers

Pete.

As a matter of fact, I just dropped my completed Viper engine on the concrete floor of my workshop after clear coating it.  :o  My wife said she almost jumped out of her chair when she heard the string of curses eminating from the basement. The engine is repairable (already done) and as I'm no fool, I'll be making dinner reservations shortly.  ;D

Offline phs Paddy

Sorry to hear that Chris. I do know how one of those crash and burn, heart stopping episodes goes, but in this case I'm thankful to hear it turned out to be a small crash causing a short delay in your progress. Do feel you’re proceeding in the correct manner for sure.   ;D ;D ;D

Paddy
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:00:15 PM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
   Chris,
Curses eminating from the basement, Oh my. I do feel your pain my modeling brother. I'm glad to hear the incident was recoverable and your Viper is now as good as new. But on to happier subjects, I love your red fuselage,the shade of red used reminds me RLM 23 "Rot". All and all with all the ups and downs this is still one outstanding project my old friend. Looking forward to the next updates.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

" What Me Worry"