Author Topic: DH 10 in 72nd scale.  (Read 11913 times)

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: DH 10 in 72nd scale.
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2016, 04:34:46 AM »
Hi Squiffy
I have only just caught up with this one. What a build, I love your stuff anyway but this one looks like it is going to be a cracker. I would like to help with the propellers but I have never actually scratched them from start and instead tend to use kit ones from the spares box and modify them with the scalpel, file and/or filler.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2016, 07:23:12 AM »
Thanks, Alan. I'm happier with the props now. I altered the shape somewhat and took almost half a millimetre off the width of the broadest part of blades.

I've been thinking for a while how to make the Scarff rings. The first attempt was using plastic bar but I couldn't get the join right and then ruined it when trying to get the ring shape to be perfectly round by taping it to a paintbrush and immersing it in boiling water. The glued joint came apart so it went in the bin!

Then I considered opening out the hole in a washer but that didn't have quite the result I wanted so I called in the heavy artillery.

The result: two brass rings.

With the rings drilled and brass rod soldered in they were placed on the fuselage but not yet fixed in place. I have to make up the small details on the gun mount. I think these are going to be no more than some tiny slivers of plastic just to give the impression of the mount details.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:09:32 AM by Squiffy »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
Nice piece of lathe work Squiffy.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2016, 08:44:59 AM »
Thanks, Des. I haven't done anything with this since making those rings. In fact I haven't done any aircraft modelling at all in the past couple of weeks as I'm working on my model railway at the moment. I keep looking in at the forum now and then and I will be getting back to this sometime soon but it's good to have a break and do something else for a while.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
I think we all go through phases with our modeling, to be quite honest I haven't sat at my model bench for months, a break does us all good and revitalizes our modeling mojo.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »
I think we all go through phases with our modeling, to be quite honest I haven't sat at my model bench for months, a break does us all good and revitalizes our modeling mojo.

Des.

I thought I was the only one. I haven't done much modeling lately either.

George

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2016, 09:10:03 PM »
Great job of the Scarf rings, Squiffy!  Every once in a while I have
to remind myself this is 1/72 scale...amazing stuff, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2019, 01:14:24 AM »
Afternoon, chaps!

It is almost three years since I last posted in this. I have just gone through the entire thread in order to replace all the dead photobucket links so the photos can be viewed once more and I hope to be able to get on and make some progress with the model soon.

It has been sat in my shed for three years and the wings have held their shape, so at least I know my methods work and last!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2019, 06:51:17 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Do post some more - it as a very interesting build.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2019, 10:36:23 AM »
I have just gone through the entire thread in order to replace all the dead photobucket links so the photos can be viewed once more
Thank you very much for doing so! I think I missed this thread originally as I don't venture into Scratch Builds very often. I enjoyed the thread and am keen to see what's next.

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2020, 05:32:56 AM »
Another year on and I have done a little more work on the DH10. It has the upper plane fitted and I have begun to rig it. Unfortunately, I found a lot of tiny cracks in the top of the fuselage, which had to be filled. I have also rebuilt the nacelles so the engines actually fit in them.

I would post a picture but since the Photobucket fiasco, I closed my account there and put pictures on my own webspace but my internet provider withdrew users personal webspace, so I can no longer show photos at all.