Author Topic: Show us your - Sopwith Triplane  (Read 20335 times)

Offline Pup Cam

Re: Show us your - Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 09:01:28 AM »
Well here's mine.

Not quite finished yet, and just a slightly larger scale at 1/3 ;D

I hope it will be flying this year as part of the UK Dawn Patrol group, looking forward to flying at Stow Maries, Old Warden and elsewhere as part of this year's commemorations to mark the start of WW1.

As you can see, it (and I!) had the pleasure of the company of its full size cousin in September last year during the Shuttleworth Uncovered display.

Although it started off life as a semi-kit it is now essentially completely scratch built (the exceptions being the ribs, the inter-plane struts and and the fire wall).   It will have a 62cc s stroke engine driving a ~28" propeller via a reduction gear.   Its construction and rigging follows the full-size practice and it will be finished as Bob Little's Blymp so it has at least something in common with Dave's smaller version!

For those that are interested, the full build can be seen on this UK R/C forum http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,48364.440.html (apologies Des if links to other forums are frowned on!)

Ultimately it will have my "PupCam" HD video system installed for a "Little's eye" view of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25SgsoLeZPw&list=UUPOAdalPo30V14FGPN4oAaA

Not a typical model for this site I know, but I think it's sometimes interesting to see what other modelling disciplines get up to.  It's many years since I've actually built a plastic model but it doesn't stop me being astounded by the beautiful builds on here!

Alan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 09:02:55 AM »
Des, Dave, Gregory and Mark, thanks for sharing your talents...
Super bunch of Tripes. Newer and older models, but great just
the same.

Cheers,
Ernie :)

I agree with Ernie! What Lovely builds and they represent pretty much all of the ends of scale and quality of kits. To see the results from those older kits is very inspiring!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
Alan,
     Thanks for sharing this beautiful Build with us. I'd really welcome more photos once the fabric is on and She's finished. I am really impressed with the Dawn Patrol Group's large scale aircraft, would love to see them fly one day. Good luck with her and remember to "put the power up in the turns"! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
Des, Dave, Gregory, Mark and Alan,

Many congratulations with the build of your splendid tripes in all kind of scales. They show your skills so very well.
I hesitated a long time before posting my attempt of building the tripe because I think it would be a sort of anticlimax after all these lovely builds. I didn't even show it in completed models for that reason. But here it is:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2488.0

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »
Dave, Gregory, Mark and Alan, all beautiful models, it is great to see a variety of scales being displayed.

Patrick, your model has a rightful place among all the other models, for your first model you have done a super job and something you should be very proud of.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 07:49:19 PM »
Patrick, you are too modest!  Your Tripe is a wonderful model and you
should really be proud of your work.  I think it is gorgeous.  Well done,
my friend!

Cheers,
The new old guy, take two...

Online RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:09 PM »
Alan,
It is nice to see that beautiful tripe here! Stunning work!!
RAGIII
Patrick,
I agree 100% with the others! Your Tripe is gorgeous and has a rightful place amongst the others!!
RAGIII

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »
Mark, beautiful job on an oldie but goodie!

Alan, very fine work on that enormous Tripe!  Can't wait to see it in flight, all decked out in Little's livery.

Patrick!  Anticlimax?  Are you kidding me, mate?  She's absolutely gorgeous!  I can't believe you almost didn't show her to us.  You can really be proud of this one.  I hope mine turns out as well.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 08:25:02 AM »
I'm so enjoying this romp through on my favourite Triplane and can only thank all those who have posted images of their work.

Best wishes
Nigel

Online RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 08:53:26 AM »
Here is my triplane: I will post the build link after I download the Photos:
RAGIII

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1777.0

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:54:09 AM by RAGIII »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
Patrick,
   I'll try this again, couldn't get through the Site problems this morning. What's not to like with your Tripe!? I think it's a great model, and more so as an early Build in your experience. These "stringbags" aren't easy to model and you've done a fine job. As I look back at my efforts, particularly since returning to the Hobby, I tend to focus on my first few in 1:32 and note that with each build they improve, that's the joy of it. So what's next on your bench? I can't forecast that but I'll bet it turns out better then you think, and so on as you keep building these little devils.
   Remember above all else to enjoy what you are doing, and don't be too harsh a critic of your work. ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
Rick, as I said when I first saw this beauty, this is your best yet.  Stunning, amigo!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 07:07:55 PM »
Hello

Rick: this is indeed a fantastic build and your build log served me so much in doing my tripe. Thank you again!

Des, Ernie, Rick, Nigel, Bud and Lance : Thank you for your much to kind words. My problem is that I manage to assemble and paint the plane rather well, but then I start to ruine it by inserting the eyelets, the glue is all over the place, and my eyes can't nearly see the holes I drilled in the wings. That's my frustration although not really an excuse. Besides I'm not very good in obtaining the right colors, I know hardly anything about engines and planes. I'm really at the bottom of the ladder in that way. I'm really obsessed by WW1, reading everything I can, official histories and others, writing small articles about "famous" battle fields. I'm living very near these places and I am constantly reminded of what was going on 100 years ago, being so near these fields. So I came to the fighting aircraft and this has become a very dominant object in my life.
Thank you all for your kindness!

I know I'm far away from this thread and all my excuses for that. This said all my congratulations for you all who managed to build such wonderfull tripes. And Bud my friend I know yours will be a real beauty.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
Patrick, do you use an optivisor or some other magnifier?  I couldn't begin to do any
teeny work without mine. Just the rig for finding little holes, etc.  Now the colour
choices...I don't think you have much of a problem there.  The PC12 you chose for the
Tripe seems right to me.  Compare it to Rick's beautiful "Dusty".  Not a heck of a lot
of difference in shade.  Stop worrying, my friend, you are growing as a modeller by leaps
and bounds!  I'll get off my soap-box now. ;) ;D

Cheers,

Offline Ernie

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »
Rick, your Tripe is absolutely beautiful.  Very pleasing look to a PC12 aeroplane,
maybe it's the white/red diamond tail.  Gives it a dash of colour. Also, the
cockpit area and Vickers gun look first-rate.  Well done, my friend!

Cheers,