Author Topic: Show us your - Sopwith Triplane  (Read 21462 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Show us your - Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:41 PM »
Patrick, do you use an optivisor or some other magnifier?  I couldn't begin to do any
teeny work without mine. Just the rig for finding little holes, etc.  Now the colour
choices...I don't think you have much of a problem there.  The PC12 you chose for the
Tripe seems right to me.  Compare it to Rick's beautiful "Dusty".  Not a heck of a lot
of difference in shade.  Stop worrying, my friend, you are growing as a modeller by leaps
and bounds!  I'll get off my soap-box now. ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)

Patrick,
    Ernie has a point reference the Optivisor. I too can't work without it any more, it would be impossible and I find I use it more as time goes on. Do you use one or a similar product? If not I believe one would make your modelling experience and results many times better.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 11:22:06 PM »
Hello Ernie and Lance.

Thank you once more for your very kind words. I have all sorts of magnifiers. This includes a optiviser ( brand Eschenbach), a light including a magnifier and different sorts of other magnifiers. The problem is that they all deform quite a bit. And my depth of view is awful too, maybe made worse by the magnifiers I don't know.
Anyway your kindness makes me feel a lot better my friends!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 01:50:52 AM »
If it's any consolation Patrick I have to resort to using magnifiers for some jobs on my 1/3 scale tiddler.

Your build looks great, I can't pass judgement on the colour of yours(or anyone elses for that matter) as I like many others are "visually challenged" in the colour department.   Many years ago I made a model of a railway level crossing and I thought it came out alright until a friend asked why I'd painted the sleepers green, so PC10 & PC12 are a complete mystery!   My plan therefore is to go and speak to my friends at the Shuttleworth collection, find out what paint they use and then get some.  Although that's probably not a viable option for the smaller scales!

Anyway, keep up the good work and the research, WW1 aviation is fascinating subject and building models is a great way to get a better understanding and can take you down some really unexpected paths.   

For example, even though I say it myself, I think I've become a bit of an expert on that small but important device on most British WW1 aeroplanes; the Rotherham pump.   This is, as the name suggests, an air pump (used to pressurize the fuel system) and not an electric generator as many believe.    I only started delving into it because I had to make one.   Similarly, a friend building a 1/3 scale Bristol Scout has just got into basket weaving.  He had to make the seat!

Alan
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:04:12 AM by Pup Cam »

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 02:23:16 AM »
Hello Alan,

These are very wise and comforting words, thank you so much. Indeed sometimes one starts looking for a certain info, and in the end is studying a complete different subject. At least you are an expert in something and looking at your beauty, in more then air pumps alone! Keep up the magnificent job Alan, you are doing great!

Kind regards my friend
Patrick

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 04:33:54 AM »
Revell again,inspired by WNw picture.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 04:38:05 AM »
Very fine little Tripe, Stan.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »
Very nice Stan, well done. Congratulations

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 12:05:20 AM »
I am posting pictures of DR1 Ace/Ed Bolls Excellent Scratch built 1/28th scale Sopwith Triplane:

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
Cheers,
Bud

As usual I agree 100% with Bud!
RAGIII

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »

Rick, Thanks for posting my pics . 

Also very good to see your lovely Sop. Tripe again !!!
 and now waiting for our third amigo Bud , to finish his.

Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »
Cheers,
Bud

As usual I agree 100% with Bud!
RAGIII

Ditto here with my 2 Amigos.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 02:56:48 AM »
Thanks for posting Ed's Tripe, Rick!  I had the great good fortune of seeing this beauty up close at the Over the Front Convention in Monterey.  As I've said repeatedly, Ed, what an extraordinary bit of modeling she is.  She's even more impressive in person.

Thank you for this, mis amigos!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2014, 06:19:27 AM »
Thanks for posting Ed's Tripe, Rick!  I had the great good fortune of seeing this beauty up close at the Over the Front Convention in Monterey.  As I've said repeatedly, Ed, what an extraordinary bit of modeling she is.  She's even more impressive in person.
Thank you for this, mis amigos!
Cheers,
Bud

Bud, You are welcome and quite correct about Eds Modeling! I wish I had the opportunity to see this and his World Famous Fokker Triplanes in Person! Finally thank you for posting the additional Picture! It shows how great Eds choice of PC 10 is. Brown in some lighting, greenish brown in others!
RAGIII

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »

Rick and Bud,

Well my 2 Amigos you are both too kind, and I do deeply appreciate your comments.

And Rick, the IPMS Convention will be in Hampton, VA this Aug 6-9, you will have the opportunity to see one using the Mark I eyeball.

ED

Offline mgunns

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »
Great Tripes Guys!  I agree, I like the PC 10 on Ed's Tripe.  Modelnut:  Is that a Revell based Tripe?  Great job.  I admire the work of anyone who has the patience and wherewithal to convert or scratch something like that.  Great job.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....