Author Topic: Barraca's SPAD XIII  (Read 6709 times)

Offline Dal Gavan

Barraca's SPAD XIII
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:56:47 AM »
G'day.

The Hobbycraft SPAD I'm building has Barraca's aircraft as one of the options and it's the one I'd like to do.  However, a bit of research on the net has shown a number of variations in the Italian national markings, on profiles, models and even a (replica?) full sized aircraft and I'm wondering which is correct.

For example, did the cockades have a red ring or green?  (Red is shown for SPAD XIII's I've found, but green for for other aircraft- the kit shows red)

And for the rudder stripes was the green closest to the fuselage or red?  Tthe kit has red, but a few articles say it should be green.

If the kit decals are wrong I'll try to mask the markings rather than trying to paint-match the decals.  I'm a long way from putting the paint on, but these questions have been nagging at me.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Barraca's SPAD XIII
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 01:36:21 AM »
  Dal,
For early SPAD XIII types the red outer ring is correct and the red closest to the tail as well. Many early French supplied aircraft arrived in Italy in French markings colors and for some reason unknown to me the marking were altered using the Italian colors thus Red, White,Green roundels. The same general idea would have applied to Nieuports and Hanriots. In the case of the Nieuports once the aircraft production began in Italy by Macchi the resulting Nieuports carried the Italian Colors in the correct order Green,White,Red. Are you planning to reconfigure the kits late type wing tips to the early rounded type as Barraca's SPAD XIII was an early type.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

LINK:http://www.rollmodels.net/nworkbench/onlinebuild/spad13/spad13.php
" What Me Worry"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:54:51 AM »
  Dal,
For early SPAD XIII types the red outer ring is correct and the red closest to the tail as well. Many early French supplied aircraft arrived in Italy in French markings colors and for some reason unknown to me the marking were altered using the Italian colors thus Red, White,Green roundels. The same general idea would have applied to Nieuports and Hanriots. In the case of the Nieuports once the aircraft production began in Italy by Macchi the resulting Nieuports carried the Italian Colors in the correct order Green,White,Red. Are you planning to reconfigure the kits late type wing tips to the early rounded type as Barraca's SPAD XIII was an early type.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

LINK:http://www.rollmodels.net/nworkbench/onlinebuild/spad13/spad13.php

That's interesting -- in other words, they simply overpainted the blue in the markings with green, no?

Offline Edo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »
Exactly! We italians love to take shortcuts sometimes!,  ;)
Ciao
Edo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »
Ha ha yes I am aware, as I have owned many Italian cars over the years (and still do...)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »
Im thinkin'  Ferrari takes long cuts when they engineer something.....

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »
Im thinkin'  Ferrari takes long cuts when they engineer something.....

Steve

Hehe, yes, depends on the part -- example: connecting rods yes, door handles, no...  I could cite examples but lets not hijack this cool topic :-)

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
G'day, Gents.

Gregory, thanks for the info.  It makes sense, in a twisted way.  Changing the centre of the roundel is easy, and changing the stripes so the red was closest to the fuselage means they'd be easily distinguished from French aircraft.

No, I didn't know about the wing tips.  I'll dig out my "French Aircraft of the First World War" and look at what needs doing.  I was looking at the Spad being another relatively easy learning build (still hoping for WNW to start on French aircraft) on the way to an Se.5a and Re 8.  I just ordered the Datafile as well, (and one on the D.V/D.Va and Rumpler C.IV- I've got all the willpower of a mushroom, sometimes....).

Edo, why do things the hard way?  Italians are just being energy efficient.

Uncle Tony and Steve, you're not hijacking the thread.  There's a genuine connection to Ferraris, after all.  Though I'vve always preferred Maserati's meself.  One day I may even win enough to buy one (a mMaserati)- after I get every kit that WNW releases.  :-)

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Marco

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 03:08:18 AM »
Hi Dal,

I built this SPAD using FCM´s decals.

Important things I found out along the build:

- No roundels on top nor on the lower wings;
- horse on one side, dragon on the other;
- very hard to rig interplane struts  :o

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
Lovely SPAD Marco, nicely weathered.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »
    Marco,
While I'm not certain the jury is still out concerning the Gryphon on the port side. Done the less you've completed one outstanding SPAD XIII my friend. Beautifully built and weathered, and her rigging is just awesome. Bravo Well Done my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »
Beautiful rigging job. I can see from your images just how difficult the job would be. Notice I said 'would' be, as after seeing this, I have no plans for a Spad in my near future!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Marco

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 12:29:22 AM »
Thank you!

Eventhough I built this kit it only contributed to my spadphobia. Not doing one again for a long time  ;D.

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 12:57:47 AM »
  Marco,
Perhaps a larger scale for your next SPAD project my friend. Still not a piece of cake to rig but the larger scale is somewhat easier due to the scale.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 01:39:10 AM »
Lovely SPAD, Marco.

I'm curious about your comment regarding the gryphon, Gregory. Can you elaborate?