Author Topic: Special Hobby 1/48 SPAD VII  (Read 17508 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Special Hobby 1/48 SPAD VII
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »
Hallo, here is my current job on the workbench: SPAD VII of Giorgio Pessi AKA Giuliano Parvis SPAD VII from 91a Squadriglia (8 victories - 6 officially recognized).

Just a few historical notes some of you maybe already know: Giorgio Pessi was born in Trieste, Italian city for a long time under the domination of the Austro / Hungarians. Trieste was the major harbour of the Austro / Hungarian Empire and a wealthy city, but although it was (and still is due to its geographical position) a very cosmopolite town, with a lot of German-speaking people, and people coming from the balcanic provinces of the Empire and Ottomans as well, it had since ever a strong Italian identity.

Giorgio Pessi was a relative of the current major, being the dominating political party of filo-Italian ideals he embraced the cause of redeeming Trieste to the motherland and "escaped" to join the Italian army.

Giorgio Pessi AKA Giuliano Parvis ?

Yes, there were many Italians escaping from the occupied lands (such as Trento, Bozen, and Trieste as well) to join the Italian armed forces, and the Austrians used to send them to death for high treason if they were made prisoner.
So, those people were urged by the Italian military command to change their identity not to be recognized and Giorgio Pessi turned to Giuliano Parvis.

After several different destinations (he started his duty in Cavalry) he was assigned to the already famous 91st squadron (91a Squadriglia) where Capt. Francesco Baracca himself (who had already at least 14 victories) used to select his wingmen.
Giuliano Parvis had all of his victories on a SPAD VII which he decorated with the black half moon and he flew a lot of missions with Baracca. During one of these missions together with his Captain they succeeded in bringing down Oberleutnant Rudolf Szepessy-Sokoll of Flik 41J on is Albatros DR III Oeffag in the north-eastern Italy.

On the rudder of the SPAD VII flown by Giuliano Parvis there are two different serial numbers: 1544 and 4707.
This was due to the fact that the piece was reused from a dismissed SPAD and they kept the old S/N simply adding below it the new (and official) S/N 4707... So 2 names and 2 S/N!

Here is the box

The sprues look very good, no flashes and no meaningful extraction points, the details are crisp and well proporioned

Some parts of the kit are resin cast:

PE parts represent the seat belts and some parts of the controls,

This is my inspirational book: Italian aces of the Great War (by the Italian Air Force Documentation Services).

I have also bought this PE Part set...

I started working on the cockpit, I do not like the resin cockpit sides, the fake rigging is awful

so I tried to keep just the wooden struts and tried to empty the space in between, but the piece is so brittle it broke... And I decided to make the cockpit sides from scratch and keep some elements extracting them from the resins

Here is s first "dry" assembly of the fuselage with cockpit pieces

I started some colour test:

And at the moment I decided to go with  Misterkit #FR03 French Light Yellow for the CDL and Misterkit #FR04 Clear Doped Linen for the darker shade of the nose both metal and linen sections.

Up to now I have completed the 4 sides of the cockpit.

Then I have painted the fuselage interiors dividing it in Linen and metal following the panel lines visible on the external side.
Here is the result before painting the metal (must re shoot the picture, sorry!)

OK, that's all for now, thanks for your attention!

Antonio
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:08:03 PM by andonio64 »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Special Hobby 1/48 SPAD VII
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »
You have made a great start Antonio, it was a good idea scratching the internal fuselage frames. The PE set looks awesome, you certainly have your work cut out for you applying all those tiny pieces. I like the scheme you have chosen, this will be a very nice looking bird once completed and I look forward to seeing you progress with it.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »
Looks like an interesting subject Antonio, will be watching this one with interest.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »
Interesting subject, thanks for sharing the historical details. I like your meticulous approach to the color matching, too. This looks to be a great looking model.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:50:57 PM »
   Antonio,
Excellent progress my friend. I'm very much looking forward to following along with your SPAD VII project.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline kendyman

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 11:48:30 PM »
Antonio,

Love how you're building this. That Part PE set looks comprehensive.

Ken

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:13:02 AM »
Thanks folks!

@Gregory
Thank you Gregory, I feel you can be of great help with your knowledge of the SPADs

Offline michael

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:20:32 AM »
thanks for sharing and good luck with your build

cheers
michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:48:21 AM »
thanks for sharing and good luck with your build

cheers
michael

Thanks Michael,
I was just reading your thread about the Fokker VII...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »
You're off to a brilliant start, Antonio.  That cockpit looks fantastic.  Sometimes an accident, like broken sidewalls, can lead to something far better.  I have this kit, so I'll be watching your progress closely.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline KrzysiekK

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
My idea for Italian Aces replica was very similiar :)
I intended to do Baracca's one on Special Hobby Spad VII basis, but could not have reached any on PL market.. :-[
You are lucky dude!
regards

K

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
Nice start and I like your choice of markings.

Steve

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »
Hi folks, thanks everybody...
I have been in touch with Tomasz Gronczewski who studied Giorgio Pessi's SPAD I am trying to reproduce here...
He gave me so many interesting suggestions and I will follow them.

So after studying Tomasz directions, I have proceeded to modify the fuselage:

here is how it looked before the care

In Blériot-built Spads of the 1xxx series the tail skid access panel on the right side of a fuselage was not there, they had a "T" shaped stitched cutout on the left side of rear fuselage, so I have to remove it, as I need to remove the camera access panel on the left side of the fuselage right behind the cockpit-
Also the exhaust holes have to be lowered...

After the care (mr.dissolved putty, primer mr.surfacer 1000, letter punch tape and a small gouge) here is the result

Then I have painted the inner surfaces of the metal panels that will be painted beige on the outside.

Now I will complete the cockpit details.

Ciao

Antonio

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
Excellent work in making the unwanted detail vanish.  I just received Tomasz's excellent book and it has inspired me to build the SPAD V.II.  Very few airframes had the panels that the SH kit has, so I'll be doing the same modifications on my kit.  I'll be following your build very closely.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 09:01:21 AM »
  Antonio,
Excellent progress on her fuselage my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"