Author Topic: WNW Airco DH2 6011, 24 Sqn. C Flight 2 Lt. C. Kerr  (Read 4711 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
WNW Airco DH2 6011, 24 Sqn. C Flight 2 Lt. C. Kerr
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
    I've updated the title of this Build which started as Major Lanoe Hawker's #5964. I switched schemes early on to allow for the
PC 10 and grey fuselage I wanted to model. She's finally, after a week of rigging and some final touch-ups and additions, in the display case.
   The verdict, lovely Model, very well engineered , a bit of a challenge on the rigging side of the equation, and definitely a beautiful model to add to your collection. I used Aviattic's new fabric decals for both the PC10 and CDL portions. Great product however I believe I need more experience to handle the top/bottom joins with better results, but I would and will use it again. I also encountered some difficulties with the A/M Taurus Engine I hoped to install in this Build; in the end a hybrid of the Kit Engine and the Taurus product got installed as some of the latter's tiny parts proved beyond my old and ever stiffening fat fingers ability!
    She has a few "warts", I'd like to build a second one someday avoiding all the traps I fell into as the subject is a big favorite of mine. Here's the final version photos.........

Now it's time for a change of pace; I'm going to work on a Gift for my Brother in Law, a 1:350 Scale Canadian Corvette that his Father spent 4 years of WWII serving in during the Battle of the Atlantic. Now there's something completely different, then it's into the Group Build with both feet! More to follow on the "Time to Relax" board.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: WNW Airco DH2 6011, 24 Sqn. C Flight 2 Lt. C. Kerr
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:08:39 PM »
My goodness, is she ever a beauty, Lance!  The Aviattic fabric looks fantastic, your hybrid engine is a little gem, the rigging is magnificent and your cockpit, brilliant.  Superb work all 'round, buddy!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »
Lovely build, Lance.  I've got your thread saved for when I get up the nerve to tackle one.

Wonderful.

Chris

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »
A model to be proud of. Frankly, I don't see any warts, but we are our own worst critics sometimes. You have inspired me to get a DH-2 from Wingnut Wings and follow along.  Well done!
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
Stunning build, Lance.   :o
Each model you produce surpasses the last. Not bad for a bloke with fat fingers!

Well done!

VB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »
Superb Lance, a real stunner. The finish on this model is excellent with just the right amount of weathering, the rigging turned out brilliant and the work you did on the cockpit is beautiful, well done and thank you for your very helpful build log.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »
Hi Lance,

Wonderful and amazing build my friend. It is an excellent kit, but it takes a tremendous modeler to turn it into such a beauty. The finish is of high standard and the rigging is showing your craftmanship even more. Many congratulations!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:21:06 PM »
Excellent!

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 08:41:09 PM »
Hi Lance,

I've been following your build closely and result speaks for itself!!! She is gorgeous!!! Luckily DH2 is waiting for me in my Australian stash so I can slowly start dreaming/planning my future build of this wonderful and interesting aircraft :) I will surely recall this thread when I build my one :)

Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 08:53:16 PM »
Degree of Difficulty: 10.
Degree of Frustration: 10
Degree of Excellence: 10

Absolutely superb Lance! While you may think that there are a few warts, what I see is an aircraft model that boasts subtle weathering effects indicative of a hard service life on the Western Front. You couldn't have done it any better my friend. You hit this one out of the park!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »
Magnificent, thanks so much for writing up this build.
And it won't just encourage us re the WNW kit, I have a Roden DH2 in the stash, and reading this back again will definitely help

Cheers
Mark

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 10:57:53 PM »
As nice a DH2 as I've ever seen, Lance!  Simply beautiful. ;D  Very well done.

Cheers & huzzas,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 02:04:36 AM »
   Thank you so much, Gents. Your comments are greatly enjoyed and appreciated, to say nothing of the confidence boost they provide. I forgot to mention in my Build Log that the Rigging Tutorial on Bob's Website is an outstanding aid in finishing this little beast, not 100% complete, but darned close!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 04:54:41 AM »
Fantastic, Lance

As has been said to me, we are our own worse critics as we know where the flaws are..........

I can't see the flaws either.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline jknaus

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »
Gorgeous Lance. A real inspiration.
James