Author Topic: first wingnut wings kit ?  (Read 10437 times)

Offline michael

first wingnut wings kit ?
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:29:43 AM »
hello all,

i am planning to treat myself to a WNW kit and would like to hear what kit WNW veterans would recommend as a good first build for a novice?

cheers

michael

“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: first wingnut wings kit ?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:02:24 AM »
First off, as a novice, I'd go straight out of the box with the notable addition of adding rigging. That being said, I'd go with their Sopwith Pup, either edition, as it almost falls together. The Albatros kits can be a bit finicky when it comes to fitting the fuselage bulkheads, as the tolerances are so tight, so I'd do a Pup first to get the hang of things.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:58:13 AM »
Hi Michael;

I would agree with Chris, the Pup is a nice simple build, but looks really good when finished, the Albies look great and are a great build but you do have to be very careful with the bulkheads and even a coat of paint can prevent them fitting snugly and then your fusilage halves don't fit together properly.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline gcn

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:57:49 AM »
IMO you can't beat the Roland although the Pup is an easy build too.

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 06:52:11 AM »
In my opinion, and if you want to avoid the (not so) dreaded rigging, then I would advise the Junkers J.I. It has a slight problem (in the wings) to correct, but nevertheless an excellent choice.
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »
My first was a Pup.  I have a Roland and an Albie in my stash so can't compare them yet.  The Pup was relatively straightforward, and a great introduction to kits of this quality.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:24:56 AM by Ian from Doncaster »

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
What is the problem with the wings?

There is a gap in the upper wing (each), near the ailerons, that shouldn´t be there...
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 09:34:17 AM »
A nice lovely kit is the Pfalz DIIIa beautiful detail and slips together rather nicely, The Roland is nice too but requires some fiddlier rigging.  Advice.. with WNW read the instructions thoroughly, take a night, then read them again.  ;D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »
   Guy's,
Mike West of Lone Star Models has a correction piece to take care of the gap between the upper wing and the ailerons Jose mentioned. If you're wanting the medium rigging the Junker's J.I . For more complicated rigging but still not too much to handle I'd go with Keith's suggestion for the Pfalz D.IIIa.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:33 AM »
   I'm a strong advocate of the Pup as a "first experience." Lots of potential, rigging yes but in a fairly open/accesable layout and outstanding fit of all the components. Can't go wrong IMHO.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »

hello all,

i am planning to treat myself to a WNW kit and would like to hear what kit WNW veterans would recommend as a good first build for a novice?

cheers

michael

Good question Michael. I've been toying with getting one to put aside (I know I said I have no room for a stash in another thread but I've got a little space which would fit either a single WNW or Roden kit...). Tossing up between the Albie D.Va or the Pup. Probably go with the Pup.
Wont be attempting it anytime soon anyway :-\

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
Andrew I thought the same when I got my first WNW kits, the RFC Pup and the LVG C.VI.  I wanted to practice on the Revell 1:48 DR1 and a couple of others in the stash before risking my limited abilites on the WNW models.  But I opened the Pup, and built the engine first, then I was hooked.

I have built other kits since, but my "practice" for WNW kits including the Dr1 are still in the stash.  There is nothing to fear with the WNW kits, I am sure you will feel the same once you take the plunge....

Offline michael

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »
cheers guys for the helpful advice it's all great stuff.

as a strange coincidence to this thread i had a look on ebay last night and came across a brand new wnw kit (junkers j1) which is quite unusual, i think it's the first wnw kit i have seen on ebay.

anyway i put a speculative bid in of £53 and to my suprise won it (they sell at hannants for £79) plus the seller only lives 30 mile down the road. very strange !

so i guess this will be my first wnw kit  :)

cheers

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »
Good luck with your build Michael, you will find when once you have built a WnW kit you will be hooked on their quality and detail.

Don't be put off with rigging, you will find your first one is quite hard, the second is far easier, after that you will find the rigging is relatively easy.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
I only have one so far, the Phalz DIII. They do look intimidating, but just treat each assembly as a kit in itself. {Which they are.}The fit is tight like others have said. Just be patient so you don't miss something and you'll end up with the best kit you've ever built! :)