Author Topic: first wingnut wings kit ?  (Read 12618 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: first wingnut wings kit ?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »
The data file has similar markings/schemes so the range may be fairly narrow - All green or green/mauve over blue.......now if Udet flew one........

Steve

Offline michael

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »
cheers guys  :)

all i can find re aftermarket wise decals and all is the hgw seatbelt set. but then i'm no great shakes on the inter-web  :(

cheers
michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »

Just out of curiosity before I get started on the Junkers, does anyone know of any other paint schemes and decal options available other than the ones shown with the kit?

You might go with a number of airframes that sported a lozenge fabric on the rear fuselage. They had (IIRC) mauve and green wings and tail feathers, no standard pattern. Here's mine, based on the only surviving complete example of the J.1:

I had to paint the upper wing and rudder crosses as the decal sheet did not have these in the correct proportions. No big problem, as they are only straight lines: easy to mask. Hope this helps!  :)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
  Gary,
How did I miss this one? She's as beautiful as a junker can be my old friend. I really think the lozenge covered (or hand painted lozenge) rear section looks best IMHO. Where can I find her build thread?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

" What Me Worry"

Offline michael

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »
stunning job on the j.1  :) having no airbrush i dont think i could do the mauve camoflage justice!

love the lozenge at the back end  trackpad (any chance of more pics?)

yea the kit options are a bit sameish which is why i was looking for something a bit more exciting  :)

cheers
michael

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 04:16:12 AM »
  Michael,
Experiment on a bit of scrap plastic stock with different thinner to paint ratios . Once you've found the right ratio you can paint the the chosen camouflage without leaving brush strokes. You'll need multiple coats but with careful application it shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget modelers have been turning out expertly painted projects long before the advent of airbrushs.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline michael

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2012, 02:40:20 AM »
cheers Greg, i guess i have plenty of time to make my mind up as i need to finish my fokker and the group build first  ;)

descisions,descisions  ;D

michael

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »
love the lozenge at the back end  trackpad (any chance of more pics?)
cheers
michael

OK, here are a few.

Interior (but you knew that one!)

Tailfeathers. I took dozens of photos, my graphic designer son stitched them together, then I punched little holes along the demarcation lines. Taped the pattern over the parts, airbrushed along the demarc lines, then removed the pattern and filled in the lines.

Same deal with the upper wing.

Engine compartment.

Me and the real deal: the only J.1 left in the world, two hours from my front door. I told you guys that I was gettin' old! ;D

Cheers!

Gary
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 12:29:03 AM »
I just chased these down from my hard drive:

This shows the effect of using the Microsculpt "fabric texture" overlay on the lozenge. Although it comes in 1/48th scale only (IIRC), the effect is quite good IMHO:

This is the J.1 now resident at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa, Ontario. Pretty worn after almost 100 years, but still impressive!

Hope these help a bit. Glad to answer any questions that I can!  8)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:30:34 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline michael

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 01:26:50 AM »
cheers for the photos Gary they will be a great help  :)

you have made a fantastic job of the junkers, if i can get half as good a result on mine i will be more than happy.

as for questions dont worry when i start on the kit i will be asking loads of them  ;)

cheers
michael

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 02:03:04 AM »
I took dozens of photos, my graphic designer son stitched them together, then I punched little holes along the demarcation lines. Taped the pattern over the parts, airbrushed along the demarc lines, then removed the pattern and filled in the lines.

I'm extremely impressed by your commitment to replicating the camo pattern here Trackpad. You went to alot of effort and the results were worth it. I can tell from this just how commited you are to the hobby. I tip my hat to you.

I told you guys that I was gettin' old! ;D

Pretty worn after almost 100 years, but still impressive!

I agree. Impressive indeed!! I'm only confused about the age thing here. Is it the aircraft that's almost 100 years old?? The J.1 doesn't look that worn! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. You just knew that something like this was coming down the line eventually, right? ;D  ;D

You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 02:13:32 AM »
   Gary,
Wow I believe your Junker's J.1 is most appealing J.1 I've seen my old friend. I really do think the use of lozenge fabric decals make a much more visually interesting subject. I absolutely love how the Microsculpt fabric textured overlay adds to the lozenge decals. Knowing yours is actually 1/48 scale and looks perfect to me I'm not certain the same material in 1/32 scale would look as good to the eyes.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 05:40:41 AM »
Chris,

"I agree. Impressive indeed!! I'm only confused about the age thing here. Is it the aircraft that's almost 100 years old?? The J.1 doesn't look that worn!"   

I knew something like that was on the way, and I fully expected it to come from you as a payback for my "I don't care what they're saying about you on the other threads" shot a while ago!  ;D ;D

The disruptive pattern is almost right. The only part that I could not photograph sufficiently was the left upper wing section. I couldn't get high enough on the ladder to get the shots. The rest is pretty much correct, thanks to the work that my son Chris did. The J1 is in the storage hangar in Ottawa, which restricts some of the access, but the staff accommodated me as best they could. If the a/c ever gets into the main display hall, I'll take more shots of the upper left wing and repaint that part of the model to correct it. It's pretty close right now, but not as exact as I'd like. But you go with what you've got!

And, just so you've got your records straight, I'm a youthful and sprightly 67.  It's the J.1 that's almost 100!! 8)

Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:42:25 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 05:45:13 AM »
cheers for the photos Gary they will be a great help  :)

you have made a fantastic job of the junkers, if i can get half as good a result on mine i will be more than happy.

as for questions dont worry when i start on the kit i will be asking loads of them  ;)

cheers
michael

Michael,

Thanks for your very kind compliment, and glad that you enjoyed the photos.

Ask away, my friend. I'll be happy to help you build one better than mine!  :)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Gary,
     I just turned the "68" corner last month, so you aren't alone! We may be older then most of these  characters but were smarter!
     I"ve been to the Museum several times over the past 10 years and didn't know about the J1; how did you discover it buried in the storage area? Also I really like the effect you produced with the Microsculpt over the Lozenge, absolute realism. I'm tempted to try it on my 1:32 Albatros however I've got the rib tapes on and I'm not sure how that would work; I should have put it over the Lozenge and then added the tapes........I think??............ any ideas/thoughts?
    Having said all that, very nice build!
Cheers,
Lance