Author Topic: first wingnut wings kit ?  (Read 12608 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: first wingnut wings kit ?
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2012, 01:09:38 AM »
Track pad, NOW I see how you did the cammo on your J 1. interesting. The one thing I did notice, is that the green-to-muave ratios seem to be about 50/50, or about even. Mine is slightly more to the green. Was the hellcat still .79c?

Hi, Mike,

I'm pretty sure that there was no standard ratio of green to mauve on the J.1s, nor as there any standard disruptive pattern. Some were simply painted on in direct lines from leading to trailing edge. In the case of 586/18, I think that the painter had one or more extra beers at lunch and decided that he was going to "have a little fun" with this cotton-pickin' wing!

Here's an "in-game" photo of the upper wing pattern: right side is one of the photos taken of the wing section in storage (the brown wooden structure is the support frame), which gave an excellent image, while centre and left sections are drawings based on enhanced and manipulated photos of the wing of the assembled airframe:

The Hellcat was an astronomical $1.19 when I bought it: shot the heck out of my $1.25 allowance!  >:(

Good call on the Masters barrels. They are great, as you note!   ;D

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."