Author Topic: Show your workbench  (Read 19221 times)

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
Show your workbench
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:37:08 PM »
I am happy to find this forum. A forum where great craftsmanship can be found. I have seen a lot of wonderfull models and work in progress here and always ask myself, where do you all built this great stuff. Where do you indulge your Hobby?
What does the place you "relax" and "work" look like?

So, if you want, show your workbench/hobbyroom to us.

And as a dont only want to ask, I start this thread with my hobbyroom/workbench.`

My hobbyroom as a cellar room. It was an common ugly cellar room with stonework and concrete floor and top until I tiled the floor, and covered the top and the walls with wood panels.

Now it is quite comfortable. I installed daylight lamps, a spray booth and have a enough drawers to store all the materials which are needed. And of course a Computer with Internet for research.

when you turn around, you find my stash, a couch where I can just relax or read and a little TV

A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Show your workbench
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »
My modeling area also doubles as a computer room where my wife and I have our own computers, I also display my completed models in the same room.

This photo shows my work bench, during the day I can open the blinds to let in natural light.

This photo shows my display area where all my models are held.

This next photo shows my computer, I spend a lot of time sitting here.

At the end of my work bench is where my wife sits with her computer.

An overall view of the room as I enter the door way. This was actually bedroom No.3 but as it is only my wife and myself living here we don't need a third bedroom, we still have bedroom 2 for visitors.

I do all of my spraying out in the attached double garage, we only have one vehicle so there was plenty of room for me to set up a small spraying booth and heat box, also keeps all the nasty fumes out of the house.

Des.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:40:36 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jacek

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:29:27 AM »
I adapted the basement of my house. Low cramped and dark but I'm happy to have a place to modeling :D

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:45:55 AM »
Well, I'm certainly envious!

I'm in a similar boat as Red Baron - I work from our dining room table when family has finished the evening meal, etc.

I also keep all my model making tools, paints and brushes, etc. all in a large plastic storage box as below

The dirty looking (folded) sheet on the box the is the old plastic table cover I throw over the table to protect it.  This is one reason why I brush paint as it is not really practical in my living room and my wife would not be impressed if I tried ............

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:08:31 AM »
   Wolf and Des, you Guys can't possibly be building in those rooms.........they are so very neat, tidy, and organised I feel nothing but shame on the condition of mine and envy of your organizational skills! :-[ Suffice it to state emphatically that my "Mrs." will not be shown your photos, I couldn't stand the questions and pressures ("your Buddies on the Forum don't have work areas that look like someone dropped a bomb in there?!?!") ::) Seriously, very nice.
   I have a small converted bedroom (we now call it the den :))) which I share with the family desk top computer station. I refinished a second hand roll top desk for my bench, a little crowded but it's my space and I do the spraying and wood work portions (props, bases etc) in the attached garage. I also have my own display cabinets and books in the same room.
  I had built a dedicated room in our basement, much larger, five wrap around windows with incredible natural light, several work tables and complete solitude, a beautiful setting to engage in this great hobby of ours. (We now call it the Quilting Room................... :'()
   I had thought we'd run a similar thread a few years back but perhaps I'm thinking of another site.
Heres the Bench, exactly as it was this morning as I started on the wiring harness of the Mercedes 200 Au for the D.VII.

................   and here's a few shots of the den, from the entry (ignore the clutter, I've been shredding old records)

.....more of the display area

......and the data central corner.....

I won't include a shot of the purpose built model room, as it's more or less off limits to me at this time, and I don't know much about quilts, except that they take up a lot of space to make!
     I like this idea of Wolf's, we'll be moving next year and I've marked this thread as I've picked up several good ideas for the future model set up already. Join in as I need all the help I can get!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:38:41 AM »
You are correct Lance, a similar thread was started way back in July 2012, here it is;  http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=344.0

But we have so many new members since then it will be good to see their work spaces.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:22:26 AM »
OK Wolf, Try not to choke on this one  8)

MY Desk during the Snipe and Albatros build:

RAGIII

and a several  of the whole room:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:56:07 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online sobrien

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »
Well my work space is a little messier than some, and not as spacious as others, but it does give me a place to go to build and play.
Sean

Offline ondra

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 04:18:38 PM »
Well, my workbench is rather modest as for dimensions thanks to the scale I build.

There is no stash of kits as I only do scratchbuilds, another space saving factor. :) On the other hand there is a huge pile of plans, drawings, plastic sheets and profiles and various wires and brass tubes....

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 04:32:19 PM »
Des, I did a fast search but didn`t find the old thread. Maybe you can merge both together so that we have all the answers in one thread.

By the way, great answers and pictures here. It is amazing to see all these work-rooms and benches. And it is good to see, that even in the smallest enviroments fantastic models are built. Thanks for sharing all this.

And just one last comment: When I start building models, my workbench changes into a little mess also very soon. ;)
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »
I keep my modelling stuff in a big box and compete with my toddler son and his lego for space on the coffee table.

We've all seen the calibre of your work and this just goes to show that superb models can be built just about anywhere, with very few amenities.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 11:05:44 PM »
I'm in a similar boat as Red Baron - I work from our dining room table when family has finished the evening meal, etc.
The dirty looking (folded) sheet on the box the is the old plastic table cover I throw over the table to protect it.  This is one reason why I brush paint as it is not really practical in my living room and my wife would not be impressed if I tried ............

Been there, done that too Dave! It's a great way to stay involved with the family.

It was only about three years ago that I moved down into my basement workshop. Mind you I did use it for airbrushing, but the table worked well for me for a lot of years. I too employed a plastic tablecloth after spilling a bottle of Tamiya Flat Black on my wife's heirloom tablecloth.  :o :-[ :'(
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 03:49:04 AM »
awesome workplaces guys...and some awesome dining rooms :-D
I have been in the same boat for about a year (having this hobby for less than 3 years in total), and last May I decided to make a hobby room in the attic. This is one of the best hobby decisions I have ever made!

Here are the pictures:
The first picture is my workbench, it is quite a mess at the moment :) Over my head is my whole stash, I try to keep the number o fthe boxes as low as possible. Still it is increasing steadily, but two (Albatros and Roland) of teh WnW boxes are of alreayd completed models. For some reason I can't put them in the basement :-/

The second one is my "throw it when you don't need it immediately" place. This is infront of a window and usualy I take the pictures there. Ofcourse I tidy it up a bit first :) This is wehre you can see the two projects I work at the moment - WnW Fokker EIV and Aoshima 1:24 Lamborghini Aventador

The last one is the "relax" area with a small part of my books, my freshwater tank and the place where I put the completed models :)

Best regards,
Sasho

Think globally, act locally!

Offline drdave

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 05:07:40 AM »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 10:03:15 PM »
Here is my little corner of the world ... A little messy at the moment  :-X

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .