Author Topic: Show your workbench  (Read 19219 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Show your workbench
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 05:03:18 AM »
Goodness me, I'm very envious! There have already been a few dining table "workbenches", so here's mine.

IMG_4747 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Of course it has to be protected by thick padding first!

One of the major challenges for me is that while over the years I've collected a huge number of modelling tools I can't leave them out for long, so they're stored away in various places. However, when I had a major post-retirement sort out, I came to realise that, in fact, I only used a very limited number of them on a regular basis; some only came out once in a blue moon. What this meant was that I could put together a small tool box. What mattered was that they were close at hand and that I knew where all of the others were should they be needed. Here's the basic tool kit - in a modified shoe box.

IMG_4739 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

The same was true for paints and other fluid materials. I probably have enough to embark on a repaint of the entire Forth Bridge. But how many are used most of the time? So here we have a project box. I can vary it from model to model and put it away nice and quick. If I need other colours, or my oil paints they can be brought out as needs be. There's several mixes of oil paint there too for a special project.

IMG_4742 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

And I can get to things like masking tape nice and easy too, as well as other spooled and round things:

IMG_4744 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Now my glue dispensers won't fall over all the time clogging the tubes; or the cocktail sticks leap out everywhere with the containers glued to bigger bases.

IMG_4740 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

I understand all the signals, but please don't think of this as my being anally retentive, or having some obsessive, compulsive disorder or preaching anything. It's a function of where I have to work and a desire to avoid wrecking the surface of an expensive table. It's not for everyone, but it's helped me gain a bit more control over the model building process.

So, ensemble:

IMG_4756 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

And yes, I finally did manage to get that Fokker E.V under way and even allowing for a major catastrophe last week it's almost there. Very soon now I'll post some photos.

IMG_4758 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

It feels better with all that off my chest.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »
A very neat and tidy set-up Nigel, and you can smell the flowers while working  :) :)

Dave - I found the clue but I won't say what it is.....

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 01:47:07 PM »
Not a problem, Dave, easily figured out now I look a little closer! If you need any 8,000hr+ pilots let me know!  ;)

Ian

Online RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 12:04:16 PM »
Ok, now I am convinced that I am the WORST SLOPPY CONGESTED DESK MODELER on the site! But I have plans to get back to a more Normal State of Disarray!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
Here's the Rat's nest in neater days...it has since reverted to it's normal upheaval. ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 12:31:46 AM »
Ok, now I am convinced that I am the WORST SLOPPY CONGESTED DESK MODELER on the site! But I have plans to get back to a more Normal State of Disarray!
RAGIII

I think you and Nigel should set up shop together Rick. It would be a hoot to see you two guys working together.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. All in good fun guys!
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 03:56:55 AM »
RAGIII
I don't think so, Rick! :)

Library's in the bedroom.

Other display cases.  Model room:

Living room (under attack by dinosaur):

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2014, 04:17:16 AM »
RAGIII

I think you and Nigel should set up shop together Rick. It would be a hoot to see you two guys working together.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

I'm up for it Chris! How about you Rick?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2014, 04:23:50 AM »
Hello to all,
I've the same cases display (from Ikea... ;)). So I have doubled the glasses shelves very easyly. I'll post pictures to explain.  :)
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 09:04:28 AM »
RAGIII

Cheers,

Chris

I'm up for it Chris! How about you Rick?

Best wishes
Nigel

Absolutely,
We could call it the ODD Couple, I forget which one was the slob, Oscar or felix?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 05:44:57 AM »
I am by nature a scruffy person but I'm pleased to see there are other untidy work areas already posted.  ;D

Works in progress are an SSW D.IV, an Albatros D.V and a Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »
I am by nature a scruffy person but I'm pleased to see there are other untidy work areas already posted.  ;D

Works in progress are an SSW D.IV, an Albatros D.V and a Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter.

Nice job on the fruit Squiffy. It looks almost real!  ;)

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 02:35:02 AM »
I had a good tidy up of my modelling stuff the other day.  I put all the paints and thinners, spray tins and airbrush bits in one box, which fits nicely in my dresser cupboard.  All my stash is now in a couple of piles in the bedroom.

I put all the spare decals, unused pe etc into one freezer bag, sanding/filling materials in another, loose infrequently used tools in another and finally scratch materials in a fourth.  These sit in the bottom of a regular tool box along with my jar of paint brushes and in-use spray tins.  The top shelf of the tool box houses the tools, paints, sanding sticks, glues etc that are selected for use on my current build.

Much tidier as the house isn't littered with modelling gear on almost every surface.  How long this will remain in that state, is another matter!

Offline taurusmodels

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2014, 08:22:47 AM »
As a Christmas gift my LOVELY wife has cleaned by toys room  ;D I haven't had such order from two or three years! Now I can show it:

It's the only disadvantage - I will do nothing for at least few days - I love this tidiness - entropy is rising really fast during my work  :)

Offline taurusmodels

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 04:07:55 AM »
Nice! Please send your Wife to my place - I have lots of rooms she could tidy up!

I'm not sure she would be glad - cleaning a room of hard working modeller can take a few days  ;D