Author Topic: Show your workbench  (Read 19224 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Re: Show your workbench
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
I don't have a permanent space, either using the plastic sheet covered dining table or even a fold out camping table for individual work.

I started out about 4 years ago with a craft knife, a few q tips, a paint brush and one of my better half's nail files in a spare but quite small airfix kit box.  Soon I bought a holdall style tool box with pots of paint and brushes on the tray, spray tins, thinners, solvents etc underneath.  Now I still have that toolbox but also a cupboard and shelf in the dresser with paints and plasticard, rods and a few half built kits - various jars/pots with brushes, colour pencils, sanding sticks, pliers etc stacked vertically, a wider pot with EZ line and mono reels, tamiya tapes, drill bit sets etc - airbrush booth folded away in its box, airbrush in components in jars still since the last clean on a kitchen shelf - a couple of boxes with odds and ends etc, and stash kits on top of the wardrobe and a few other places.  Models completed and gathering dust on the dresser shelves.

I probably have enough crap to populate a full width workstation with a couple of cupboards and a set of drawers, if I can find the space and get organised!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 06:41:20 AM »
My bench looks a lot like Rick's. ;D  I'll have to grab a shot next time I have the camera out.  When my MIL visits and occupies my modeling room, I also make good use of the dining room table, so I am very impressed with the great models that some of you chaps turn out from the family living space. ;)

Lance, I couldn't help but notice all of the F-18 (CF-18?) photos in your workspace.  Were you or a family member a Hornet driver?  I've got several of those in the 1/48 stash as well, with decals for a couple of the special aniversary CF-18s.  Beautiful aircraft and very sharp schemes! ;D  But I digress; back to previous century . . .  ::)

Regards,

Bob 

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 08:02:13 AM »
My bench looks a lot like Rick's. ;D  I'll have to grab a shot next time I have the camera out.  When my MIL visits and occupies my modeling room, I also make good use of the dining room table, so I am very impressed with the great models that some of you chaps turn out from the family living space. ;)

Lance, I couldn't help but notice all of the F-18 (CF-18?) photos in your workspace.  Were you or a family member a Hornet driver?  I've got several of those in the 1/48 stash as well, with decals for a couple of the special aniversary CF-18s.  Beautiful aircraft and very sharp schemes! ;D  But I digress; back to previous century . . .  ::)

Regards,

Bob

Bob,
     I flew Hornets for my last nine years in the RCAF, mostly as an Instructor. My work space also has my "I luv Me" wall and my momentos of a time when life could not have been better and we all were going to be young and invincible forever.(and you probably don't need to ask how that ended up :o) As you say, back to the previous century, now those Guys could really fly!!!
   Those Anniversary Birds are magnificent schemes; the fellow who designs them, a Graphic Artist by trade actually sued one of the Decal Producers for Copyright violation and I think he now gets royalties on all sales. It's still done with a new scheme every year for the Airshow Season.
Cheers,
Lance

mike in calif

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
Nice compact bench area Terri!
 I've seen some good ideas here.

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 04:44:48 AM »
Hello to all,
My turn to present my "Fortress of Solitude"... ;D
First, I have to specify I bought an old farm so...a lot of work.
For example, I got that:

I have to go through that:

A month later, I did that:

So, my understanding wife got a brilliant idea because the lack of plastic scraping had a very bad influence on my work motivation...

An old 200$ caravan, I put in the garden (my 7 years old bench in front of... ;))
I'm sure I have the most atypical bench of this forum...  ;D ;D ;D
But, it's very useful, confortable and...cosy.
Come in.
The bench:

In country, noise is not a problem:

The "sources":

The "stock":

The paint station:

Of course, I built it with remaining material of the house building.
In a few years, I'll have a real hobby room. For moment, that's not so bad.  ;)
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »
Alain,
    Now this is completely different, and totally on the mark. You've got your own dedicated and private little space, lots of room for expansion, and no potential for conflict with the regular household activities. You get my vote for both the most unique and improvisational solution to the work station challenge...........I like the look of your "little world" a lot!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »
Now, this is the most unique and practicable modeling room/space I have ever seen, what a fantastic idea, this is what I call a truely dedicated modeling space, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »
I want a caravan work room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!

Steve

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
The best thing is that when you go on holoday, you can attach the model room to the back of your car and take it wth you. I love it!

Offline Procopius

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 03:43:19 AM »
   Those Anniversary Birds are magnificent schemes; the fellow who designs them, a Graphic Artist by trade actually sued one of the Decal Producers for Copyright violation and I think he now gets royalties on all sales.

I'd always wondered what happened, there seems to be a fair amount of bitterness felt about the special schemes by some Canadian decal manufacturers.
"Kill the sods, the Hunnerinoes, at all costs. Anywhere and everywhere!"
-- Major Keith "Grid" Caldwell, 74 (Tiger) Squadron

Offline petrov27

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 07:24:24 AM »
That caravan shop totally rocks!

No real workbench currently here - just a giant conference table I picked up cheap off a business that went belly-up when the tech companies failed over here after y2k....

Tends to get super messy and I have to relocate when we have guests as this is also the dining or get-together table....

-Patrick

Offline IanB

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 01:04:43 PM »
Although I did post pics in the last thread, I've since bought my own place, so here's an update. I bought a 3 bedroom place, rent out one, and use the third for my modelling room. There's a computer desk in one corner, but it's not very handy when sitting at my desk, so the chair with a plank on it is the base for my laptop. That way I have only to look to my right to see my reference pics when I need them.

and the "stash wardrobe"....

It's strange, but I always seem to end up with about a 1 foot square area to do my modelling, with the rest of the space taken up with bits and pieces!

Ian

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »

This is probably not the tidiest looking workbench on the forum, but I know where everything is!

I might add that it doesn't look like this when the Mrs is in residence.

In fact she would have a fit if she saw this. :o

If I need a break from model building I just wander over to the window and stare at this:

8)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:47:03 AM by Dave in Dubai »

Offline IanB

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 12:11:07 AM »
Which airline do you fly for, Dave?

Ian

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 01:40:57 AM »
Sorry Ian , I am not allowed to reveal that officially, but I am sure your powers of observation will enable you to figure it out! ;)