Author Topic: Micro Carbide Drill Bits  (Read 7410 times)

Dekenba

Micro Carbide Drill Bits
« on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:51 AM »
I got fed up with snapping drill bits, so I bought a set of resharpened micro carbide bits on EBay.

What an enormous difference. They are very, very strong, sharp and have a little weight to them, being mounted on a 1/8 inch shank.

They bite very quickly on brass tubing and go through plastic like fun - exactly what I was looking for.

I got a set of 50 - varying from 0.30mm up to 0.65mm, with 5 of each - for around £20, in a snazzy box as well. I'd estimate that they will last pretty much as long as I will!

Highly recommended.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Micro Carbide Drill Bits
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:33:36 AM »
  Thanks for the tip my friend. I'll have to look for those.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:05:32 AM »
I've been getting mine on-line through www.DrillBitsUnlimited.com. Very reasonable prices, great service, and tremendous assortment. The smaller ones tend to snap if you are not careful but using them as a hand drill with the 1/8 inch shank minimises breakage. These are slightly used from the comms/aviation Industries. Highly recommended.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:34:12 AM »
     Lance,
Thanks for the link my old friend. Placing an order shortly.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
.30 - whats that in the numbering system? - like #80 etc - I never keep that stuff straight.

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:37:04 AM »
Here you go Steve, this might help.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
ahh thankyou and thanks for the drillbit link. Mine are on their last legs

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
Steve,
   The vendor sells them in combo paks or by size in 'bunches". (of 10 as I recall) I personally started with a 50 bit combo pak however quickly discovered that I use mostly # 78's down to #70's, mostly the high end. I'm pretty hard on them thus buying a certain size/No. in "10 paks" not unlike #11 blades that I go thru in bunches makes sense. For 1:48 AND 1:32 Scales I think you'll find that the same sizes will be your "normal".
Cheers,
Lance

Dekenba

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
Ordered mine from drill-bits on EBay, an American trader.

Arrived very quickly. In fact, he sent the wrong set initially, so I had a set of 50 bits, all different sizes, ranging from 0.03mm up to 1.50mm. E-mailed him the error, told me to keep those and he sent to ones I ordered as well - so I ended up with 100 bits of all sorts of sizes.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 12:39:29 AM »
harbor freight in the u.s.a. sells assorted sets of these 1/8" shank micro drills for $6 for 20 the smallest size ive fouind is #85, i love them, i have one pin vice with the 1/8" mandrel ready to go for these bits.

Offline ALBATROS1234

Dekenba

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 02:56:40 AM »
I'm now down to 49 drill bits!

I dropped all 50 bits onto a concrete floor. They all survived the drop, but one was unable to survive my clumsy foot.

Hence why I ordered so many to begin with.

Idiot.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 05:11:51 AM »
Ordered from Drillbits. Free shipping to Canada. $34 for 44 bits- 3 variety pks 2 each of 80 83 87 92 96/pk and 6-#78's, 4-#74's and 4-#70's  . How can I go wrong? The super small ones will get only some use but I will certainly re-order the bigger 70-78's again. Thanx guys!!!!!

Steve

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 07:14:23 AM »
I've been getting mine on-line through www.DrillBitsUnlimited.com. Very reasonable prices, great service, and tremendous assortment. The smaller ones tend to snap if you are not careful but using them as a hand drill with the 1/8 inch shank minimises breakage. These are slightly used from the comms/aviation Industries. Highly recommended.
Cheers,
Lance

I ordered my set today: last day for special pricing, I found out when I visited their website. Thx for the lead, Lance!  ;)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
Thanks for the link Lance, I took advantage of their custom drill sets and ordered a bunch of 0.3mm, 0.35mm and 0.4mm drill bits, they even gave me a $7.00 discount during checkout, postage is a little high but for first class international air frieght I suppose $19 aint bad from America to Australia.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com