Author Topic: Drill Press recommendation?  (Read 5124 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Drill Press recommendation?
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:56:43 AM »
I'm considering buying a small, precision drill press. (I already have two full-size drill presses in my workshop, this would be for "model stuff.") Needs to have a spindle with next-to-no play and a precise action. Power is largely irrelevant, though it does need to turn slowly enough to work with plastic. Needs to be 'affordable,' meaning not much more than $200.

Something like this appeals, though no idea if this is actually any good:
http://www.micromark.com/microlux-benchtop-variable-speed-mini-hobby-drill-press,8283.html

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Drill Press recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:03:13 AM »
Update: found a review of the above, sounds like it might be a decent option for the money:

http://www.iheartrobotics.com/2010/12/tool-review-microlux-drill-press.html

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
I splurged and bought the microlux variable speed drill press, along with the X-Y table attachment. I am super pleased with this little drill press; there is absolutely no discernible free play in the shaft. It has a digital depth guage which is ok; the depth stop requires an allen wrench to set and is a little awkward -- my biggest complaint.  The X-Y table is brilliant, very nicely made and makes it ridiculously easy to drill perfectly spaced holes at micro scale. I recommend this drill press but the X-Y table is a must.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »
It appears to be a very good drill press Tony, I read the review and it gets a thumbs up apart from the dead battery and no light for the digital depth display. I'm sure you will get plenty of use from this machine especially with the extra table you purchased.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »
Des -- Yeah, read tht too -- as a matter of fact it came with a spare battery -- expected the installed battery to last approx 1 minute but so far it has lasted at least the couple of weeks i have had it. The depth display is not super bright but not nearly as bad as the review made it sound. Most of all it is solid and feels quite precision made -- certainly well made for the money.

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
I've been looking for a "Very Jealous" icon, Tony, but can't find one.  That's a very nice bit of machinery and the X-Y table looks like a very good investment. 

Excellent find, mate.

Dal.   

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
Uncle Tony,
   Great info and thanks for the Link. I'm going to seriously consider this little jewel, like Dal I am at the least seriously jealous of your latest aquisition!
Cheers,
Lance

Dekenba

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »
Wow!

That's an absolutely superb piece of kit.

May I ask how much it cost you before I put it on my Christmas list?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »
I guess it was about $400 delivered to my door, but that included the X-Y table, the small vise designed to go with it, a set of clamping jigs, etc. Check out the micromark site for exact prices.  The link is in the first post in this thread.

As I said above, the X-Y table is an absolute must in my opinion.