Author Topic: Three Pfalz D-III and IIIa's, MAC Distribution 1/72  (Read 21123 times)

Offline vincentm

Re: Pair of Pfalz D-IIIa's, MAC Distribution + Roden 1/72
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
Thanks.
I don't know if it's a matter of patience to build small parts. It is rather a question of will. Then it takes the time it takes, no-one waits after my models to be completed...except me, I must admit I'm eager to see the way the birds will look with their bright colors.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »
So I'm I looking forward to seeing these brightly coloured birds . The work you have done so far is coming along quit well  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline vincentm

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
Thanks! I just hope Böhning's a/c will look as good as yours!
I've improved the surface of metal panels using an embossing tool. It works really well. The D-III is shown here, with the most complex fairing shapes.

Next, I've built the engine side panels of Marwitz's machine from aluminum sheet, using the plastic fuselage parts as a template. Then the panels have been cut away:

Online RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »
Very clever and IMPRESSIVE use of materials! Looking great!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »
RAGIII
I agree with my amigo!  VERY impressive.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 09:44:30 PM »
RAGIII
I agree with my amigo!  VERY impressive.
Cheers,
Bud

Same here as well  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline vincentm

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
Thanks. I've been surprised how much the adhesive aluminum can be pushed and stretched inside the hollowed areas, I could even push it inside the gun holes on the D-III, as can be seen on the pics. Then bolts have been punched in with a sharp spike, and smoothed using the embossing tool again. I will certainly go on using aluminum tape in the future.

I still have a few more panel to cut out and stick at various places, and I've already rebuilt the stabilizer stiffeners this way.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
Facinating stuff, Vincent. :D  Your models are coming along well.
Excellent imagination as to using different materials. I look forward
to seeing your next updates. :)

cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline vincentm

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »
I browse a lot of aircraft modelling forums and pick up tips here and there. I know a guy who entirely covered a WWII Wildcat with aluminum tape, it just looks so real as the kit is actually covered with metal sheet. I had already used this material for replacing panels on a P40 wings, and making bullet holes.

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
Isn't it rather boring to do five engines at the same time?

As the Roden Pfalz DIII in 1/72 was my very first WW1-related kit, i will be watching this with a lot of interest. The use of adhesive aluminium is a very good idea - if you don't mind i will "steal" this from you, and try using it myself.

Stefan

Offline vincentm

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »
Isn't it rather boring to do five engines at the same time?
Sure it is, but it is less boring than the idea of having to start all over again at each kit with a Mercedes D-III...

The surfaces are a little bit better on the Roden kit, but the bad side IMO, is the separate cowling which forces you to sand the fuselage sides and damage the tiny details.

To apply the aluminum tape on each fuselage half, I aligned the patch bottom straight end with the scribed metal panel lines. Then I pushed it inside the angle the panel makes when it becomes vertical, and smoothed it till it reaches the top edge of the fuselage. After that, I had it match the shape of the fuselage towards the front first, and then towards the rear, cutting away the excess with a sharp blade following the kit recessed panel lines. Finally, I re-smoothed the entire surface with an embossing tool to have it match the fuselage shape as well as possible. The final step was scribing lines and nut holes.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »
I have scratch-rebuilt the control cable fairings. That makes 18 small parts on all 3 fuselages, sometimes chain-work is definitely boring...The good side is that all preliminary work on the fuselages is done and I can (at last) start building the cockpits.

2 of the birdies will sit in a remote repair unit, so I found it was a good occasion to try and scratchbuild fabric-covered moveable surfaces. I built both the rudder and elevator for the D-III, from plastic rod and copper wire. Here are the steps: 1 glueing the rods on a scale template, 2 adding copper wire to complete the structures, 3 checking the parts on the a/c plans, 4 basic painting (wooden elevator and welded-tube rudder):

Next step, "fabric" covering. I've covered the rudder with rolling paper, which then has been painted CDL. Well at the moment, it still lacks the coat of varnish to deserve the "CDL" name. The varnish should have the paper stretch a little more, and protect it for further painting operations. An interesting side is that the part is slightly translucent like the real one. I plan to tear off the paper in some areas like if the rudder had been damaged.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »
I love this Vincent.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
Wow, interesting and very impressive Vincent. How on earth do you people who work in this scale manage such things!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline vincentm

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
Thank you!
How on earth do you people who work in this scale manage such things!
I use very thick magnifiers!!

I was wondering if it would be possible to scratchbuild wings and simulate fabric covering, in order to get translucent wings like on some SPADs or early WWI a/c.  I've built a few balsa models in my youth and thought it should just work the same in a smaller scale. This experience on control surfaces shows it is possible.