Author Topic: Three Pfalz D-III and IIIa's, MAC Distribution 1/72  (Read 21127 times)

Offline vincentm

Three Pfalz D-III and IIIa's, MAC Distribution 1/72
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:11:38 AM »
I'll soon be back with my next WWI project. I first planned to build only one D-III but the painting schemes are so attractive that I came to the conclusion it's impossible to make only one. So that will be two...as a starter.  I like silver-grey Pfalzes, as well as colored ones, and I like lozenges. So it turned out to be these ones, which will add a bunch of color to my dedicated WWI shelf (the profiles below show a D-III as the top plane, but photo evidence prove it's actually a D-IIIa)

I won't be starting before at least two weeks, time to complete my current WIP WWII kits.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM by vincentm »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Pair of Pfalz D-IIIa's, MAC Distribution 1/72
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »
A pair of very colourful Pfalz aircraft Vincent, I'll be looking forward to seeing these two kits come together.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:31:12 PM »
Oh my , two Pfalz D.IIIa !

Will be following this closely with those colourful schemes  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline vincentm

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 02:48:12 AM »
Thanks for your interest. Terri, the second one is the same as yours, so I may have to ask you a few questions about the paint scheme if you don't mind.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »
Ask away and I will do my best to aid you !  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »
I am looking forward to your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline frame

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 01:22:42 AM »
Very interesting endeavor. I will follow with great interest.

Best regards
Hristo

Offline vincentm

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
Thanks. I will start with a series of no less than 6 Mercedes D-III engines, in order to gain time (it goes faster to make the same task several times while you're at it, than starting all over again at every build). They will equip the german fighters I've planned to build, ie Albatros D-II, Pfalz D-III, Fokker D-VII early etc. In fact, only the top of the engines will be detailed, that is valve springs, rocker boxes, camshaft and a few pipes...I will use Roden engines or copies, as they're the best representation available.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:54 AM »
I've actually started the work. I've collected as many plans, cutaways, time pix and sketches I could find, and I've decided to build several versions of the bird, which will make the "chain work" a bit less boring...
So the pair is becoming (almost) a trio. Almost because the 3rd bird will only consist into a fuselage on its wheels, with an engine, guns, hanging wires and mechanics working on it. The reason is, one of the MAC boxes contains parts for both a D-III and D-IIIa, that is 2 fuselages, 2 lower wings, and 2 stabilizers. Why get rid of half those parts when it could be useful?

In order to use all parts and make a D-III as well as a D-IIIa, I needed to find an interesting D-III, and I think Rudolf Stark's machine with it's lilac fuselage band and nose, should make it:

What I've started to do is making molds for parts that should be duplicated in order to complete the dismantled a/c (which will be von der Marwitz's machine): rudder, wheels, seat, landing gear spreader.

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 05:40:05 AM »
Good choice.
Looking forward for the next steps.
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline vincentm

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
I've changed my plans a bit. Rather than starting from 2 MAC boxes, the second one will be from Roden. The reason is the Roden kit has more precise details, some of which will be duplicated for the MAC kits. So here are the 2 'boxarts':

Here are time pix of the 3 machines. From top: Stark's D-III, Böhning's late D-IIIa and von der Marwitz's early D-IIIa. The latters will differ by some details like the shape of the strut ends and the prop. Also note that Böhning's machine has a telescopic sight which is better depicted on the close-up below.

A sight on the accessories I'll use. On top a box of Orion figures, and below from left to right: Eduard PE Spandaus and seatbelts, LF Models prop logos, an FCM sheet that includes a lot of gauges, and 5-color Pegasus and W&W lozenges.

As for the Alby, the upperwing lozenges will be home-made. They're slightly lighter than the previous ones I've made and get closer to Aviattic's:

About the rib tapes, a close-up of Böhning's machine shows variations in the tape's color, indicating lozenge-made ones.

In order to spare lozenge decal, I've prepared a small sheet for printing on clear decal, which includes lower and upper tapes, as well as stencils, crosses for Stark's machine and Pfalz logos:

I've made a quick 3D scene using simple Albatros models, that is intended to check the dispatching of models on the planned diorama (sorry this time, captions are in French):

At last, I've started moulding spare parts. Here's a bunch of them, straight out of the moulds. The engine in the lower left was made from Milliput epoxy putty which makes more rigid and bubble-less parts. In the center, a portion of copper spring that will be chopped into valve-springs:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:24:56 AM by vincentm »

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Re: Pair of Pfalz D-IIIa's, MAC Distribution + Roden 1/72
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »
You are going to add valve springs? In 72nd scale?  :o This is going to be an impressive build!

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 09:33:29 PM »
Looks like an exciting project, Vincent.  I will enjoy following your
build.  When done, with the 3D projection, it should be a really
attractive diorama.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IanB

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 11:34:43 PM »
Interesting project, I'll be following this!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 11:44:44 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing this diorama unfold!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler