Author Topic: Three Pfalz D-III and IIIa's, MAC Distribution 1/72  (Read 21121 times)

Offline vincentm

Re: Pair of Pfalz D-IIIa's, MAC Distribution + Roden 1/72
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 02:44:37 AM »
Thanks.
You are going to add valve springs? In 72nd scale?
Yes, I've already done that on my previous WWI bird.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 01:30:06 AM »
I've started building five Mercedes D-III engines. 3 will be more simple models for the Pfalzes, since only the top of them will be visible. The remaining two are intended for my coming Albies (D-II and D-Va). I finally got rid of the Milliput-cast engine since parts are too thick and too difficult to sand to have the halves match. Plastic copies of Roden engines are more suitable.

Despite this, the best copies of props I got are the ones cast from Milliput, which have smooth surfaces and no bubbles. I've also bought a set of photo-etched tools that will be added to the diorama.

Very few of the photo-etched parts provided by MAC are useful, most of them being piping or parts that should have a rounded section. On the other hand, the seatbelts which would've been useful, are lacking...I will only use the rudder pedals that should look OK, in case they're still visible when the fuselages are closed. The 'D-IIIa Aces" box contains rhodoid patterns for the D-III-type windscreen. Below, the small 'Mata-Hari' bill I've printed for sticking on the hanger wall.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 01:38:05 AM »
I am looking forward to your multiple build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline vincentm

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »
Thanks. I noticed making several samples of a kit at a time spares time, but if I start building 3 kits instead of one each time I start a new project, I'm gonna have to look for showcases...

Let's start with detailing the engines. Those for the Pfalzes are simplified since only their tops will remain visible. Only the two for the Albies have been fitted with piping and spark plug wires. Valve springs are built by wrapping copper wire around a pin. For the third Pfalz, the exhaust stack is a copy cast from Milliput. Gas/air ducts have been cut away from the engines to make painting easier.

Next, valve springs were added after the camshaft has been glued on top of the cylinders:

Metallic panels are just scribed on the fuselage, which is not very realistic. I've started replacing them with adhesive aluminum sheet, which will add the required thickness and replace plastic with real metal at the same time:

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:25 PM »
Astonishing work, Vincent.  Especially in 1/72 scale.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 07:27:21 PM »
Astonishing work, Vincent.  Especially in 1/72 scale.
Cheers,
Bud

Agreed! Fantastic start!
RAGIII

Offline vincentm

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »
Thanks. It was actually a good surprise that adhesive aluminum can match such a complex shape! I hope it will work well with all metal panels.

Offline radio

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
Exellent details for this little birds.
Martin

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:15 PM »
Fascinating, Vincent. I'm amazed what people like yourself are able to achieve in this scale. What skills!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline vincentm

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 02:29:19 AM »
Thanks. I think it's just a matter of being used to it, since I've almost always built 1/72nd kits. But I have to agree that everything is definitely smaller on WWI birds, which means harder to build, harder to handle and so on...Moreover, my favorite brands are short-run kits for WWI subjects, and they require more planning and scratch-building than classic injected kits. But I like this side of it, it eventually allows more freedom and creativity during the building.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 11:57:39 AM »
Before painting the engines, I've started building the Spandaus. Rather than trying to fold properly the parts for the breeches from the Eduard sheet, I've decided to keep the original plastic breeches and add the PE parts to rebuild the guns.

When the machine guns were completed, they got a coat of flat black which will give them their basic color and a good grip for a rub with a soft drawing pen. On top of the pic, the two simplified model I made from crap (unused plastic parts...and the Eduard breeches which I finally managed to fold up). Those will be used inside the fuselage of the D-III where they should be nearly invisible.

The five engines after painting and oil weathering.

I've then rebuilt the fuselage metal panels with adhesive aluminum. It works very well, the metal strectches and matches the complex shape of the front fuselage. It can even be drilled or scribed (with care...). After I took the shots, I reworked the metal sheets with some tool I found on my wife's workbench (as usually...), so the surface is smoother. The rounded hatches have been cut with a punch. The idea of this metal covering is to give a little thickness to them on the kits, since everything was only scribed down on the original plastic parts.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »
Outstanding to say the least!
RAGIII

Offline radio

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
Very great details and nice builds.
Martin

Offline IanB

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
Very nice indeed! What is the aluminium sheet that you use, and where is it available?

Ian

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 02:11:10 AM »
Crikey!

you must have the patience of a saint to undertake all this intricate detail work in small scale .........

Great work!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?