Author Topic: What's your work space look like?  (Read 16144 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: What's your work space look like?
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »
I thought I would slow down the buying when i moved to 1/32. Then that scale REALLY came back into vogue......I do try to limit myself though and find Im concentrating on reference material more than kits....usually...

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2012, 06:06:44 AM »
I thought I would slow down the buying when i moved to 1/32. Then that scale REALLY came back into vogue......I do try to limit myself though and find Im concentrating on reference material more than kits....usually...

I'm with you there brother; gathering AM is almost always practical, as so many companies cease operations, and/or their products become no longer available. As to books, I've always considered that to be a somewhat tertiary hobby of mine, and one that I'll continue to indulge, no matter if I ever build another model in my life or not.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2012, 01:50:01 AM »
Tim's of course for the donuts.  ;)  Come to think of it, I bought the coffees. (again!)
Cheers,
Lance :)
It's the only place for cop kibble. Of course you paid. We're a notoriously cheap bunch.  ;D
Cheers, Chris

"Cop kibble." Gotta love it!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »
Well, call me the messy one...I tend to clean the bench completely when I finish a project, and minor space clearing during a build.  I've really never been able to avoid a mess whatever I work on!  At any rate, here's my shop:

Of course, these aren't exactly real current.  The bench right now is a complete disaster, and the stash corner is considerably messier...well in fact, EVERYTHING is messier!

Mike

Wait a minute, is that a shop you live in... or have you made that many models?
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2012, 06:27:50 PM »
RB, I had to do a double take on your workspace......hard to believe with the mastery of your builds!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2012, 08:18:16 PM »
Workspace looks like?
A Rubbish tip!

:'(  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »
Workspace looks like?
A Rubbish tip!

:'(  :)

Ah, but look at the grand work that comes springing from such a place.  ;)

Hope you'r getting nearer to unleashing that wonderful talent of yours mate.

Paddy  :)
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »
Here's mine - half of the coffee table. I just lay a big piece of corrugated cardboard over it and kneel / sit in front of it.

Yours is the best workspace I've seen yet! It proves that you can work wonders with a basic setup. I remember doing much the same at the cottage. Nothing but a ceiling light, a box cutter, sandpaper, and dime store Testor enamels. A great way to spend a rainy day at the lake.

Not to be a killjoy but your setup gives me the impression that you haven't hit that 50yr old mark yet. If my experience is the norm, you'll be stiff as a board after kneeling at that table for an hour!  :o  You'll probably also find that as your eyesight begins to fade with age, a bright light will become a necessity . . . along with a chair.  ;D Geez, this is just getting depressing.  :P

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2012, 09:57:19 PM »
Here's my temporary workspace - living room table at the moment ::)
Wish I had a man cave or a shed..... :'(

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2012, 10:28:12 PM »
lots of natural light though ;)
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »
Here's mine - half of the coffee table. I just lay a big piece of corrugated cardboard over it and kneel / sit in front of it.

Yours is the best workspace I've seen yet! It proves that you can work wonders with a basic setup. I remember doing much the same at the cottage. Nothing but a ceiling light, a box cutter, sandpaper, and dime store Testor enamels. A great way to spend a rainy day at the lake.

Not to be a killjoy but your setup gives me the impression that you haven't hit that 50yr old mark yet. If my experience is the norm, you'll be stiff as a board after kneeling at that table for an hour!  :o  You'll probably also find that as your eyesight begins to fade with age, a bright light will become a necessity . . . along with a chair.  ;D Geez, this is just getting depressing.  :P

Cheers,

Chris

Just badges of honor us more mature types ware.  ;D ;D ;D  Now where’s my walker.  ;)

Paddy  :)
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »
lots of natural light though ;)

Very true - and great ventilation as well when I open the doors to the deck :)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2012, 12:56:38 AM »
   Reference Chris and Paddy's comments on "ROMS" (really old Modeller Syndrome) I suspect I've got most of you beat so don't worry, be Happy! I can't imagine kneeling for any more then a minute or two, would probably need help to get back up, there's no number nor strength of lights bright enough and I basically need the Optivisor to open the Kit box!
   That being said there's no hobby I can imagine that would please me more. I recall the days when my entire Hobby was packed in a shoe box and I worked at the kitchen table when it was available, the kids were down for the night, and I had a few precious moments to myself. It was just as satisfying then as it is now, perhaps more so. I am truly amazed at the stunning quality of work that comes from simple and "spartan" work areas, a true compliment to the talent of the builders.
   (and the Old Guy is going on and on again!)
Cheers,
Lance :) ::)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2012, 02:57:55 AM »
Hallo, here is my workspace.
Up to Jan 2011  I had to share the kitchen table with the rest of my family, now I feel I am a really lucky guy, in the new house we had a free room because my wife's younger kid decided to go to Sydney for the University. That was not easy for us to accept (although it's a great opportunityhe had and he's doing very well) but a free room means Hobby space for both of us, and that's another positive side of the fact.

Here we go:

That's my showcase:

Made on my design by an handicraft who works with plexiglass,
By the moment it hosts also things I did not build (the egg is something I built)

Ciao

Antonio

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2012, 03:31:15 AM »
Trust me Antonio, as hard as it is when they fly the coup to attend university, it's even harder when they move back in after their education is completed. My youngest is well employed locally as a chemical engineer, but seems to have no sense of urgency to move to an apartment. I wonder if it has anything to do with his mom doing his laundry, cooking meals and packing his lunch everyday?  ???  :o  Don't get too comfortable in that hobby room.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.