Author Topic: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane  (Read 39964 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:43:53 AM »
I know that for most of you here, this is fairly commonplace, building a WNW kit, but this is my first.  In fact, it's the first time I've built anything other than 1/48 scale.  My lovely bride gave this one to me this past Christmas.  It's the fourth WNW kit she's given me, so I reckoned I'd better build one to maintain marital bliss.  Besides, it's a really nice kit.  In fact, the only thing close to it in 1/48 scale is the Gas Patch Salmson.  Nothing else even comes close.
So, here's the obligatory box photo.  You all know it, you've all seen it, most of you have even laid hands on it.  The legendary WNW Tripe:

I got Rowan's stickers for it and they are brilliant.  I plan on doing either 'Maud' or 'Blymp'.  Probably 'Blymp'.  Or maybe 'Maud'.

Silly, but I just had to do it:

Did I mention this is a nice kit?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhallinger

Re: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:05:12 AM »
Oh, this will be so much fun for the peanut gallery Bud!  ;D

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:18:15 AM »
Good choice for your first Wingnut kit Bud, I'm sure that you are going to get a lot of enjoyment from this kit, looking forward to seeing you progress with this one.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:20:06 AM »
How about Maud on one side, Blymp on the other.  Or Blaud. Or Mymp.

Offline Profa

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:28:54 AM »
You're not the only one trying to catch the shape of the model as soon as opening the box - even holding the upper wing in the air, if that's the only way ::)
Following this one, Bud, whichever it might be at the end... Just for the heck of it, you should think of third scheme ;)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:38:36 AM »
Welcome to the club, Bud! Enjoy it and bring us enjoyment showing your progress!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 07:45:50 AM »
Building a Wingnuts kit so as to maintain marital bliss.  What world do you live in, Bud?
Honor Necessity

Offline radio

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:11:56 AM »
A nice begin Bud. I will you watch.
I hope sometime the same Quality came to scale 1:48.
Martin

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
   You may be playing with fire here Bud......once you go WNW you may never go back..........! I'm looking forward to following along as you apply your considerable skills to this magnificent Kit. Mind the paint on the joins....... ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:41 AM »
This will be interesting for you. I'm also a recent convert to 'Duplo' scale and I must say I still find it a little odd. I don't know why - perhaps I still think in 1/48th?

Anyway, you should do Blymph.

Or Maud.
Well, I guess that clinches it, then.  Blymp it is.  Or maybe Maud.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:48 AM »
Oh, this will be so much fun for the peanut gallery Bud!  ;D

Cheers,

Bob
Kinda like the Romans watching Slaves vs Lions, eh Bob?
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 09:00:40 AM »
Good choice for your first Wingnut kit Bud, I'm sure that you are going to get a lot of enjoyment from this kit, looking forward to seeing you progress with this one.

Des.
I think your right, Des.  This is the smallest and the simplest of the 6 I have in my stash.  My wife said it was about the same size as my 1/48 2 seaters.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:58:04 AM by coyotemagic »

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:38 AM »
Good luck with the build, Bud. I've yet to do my first WnW build as well, but I've now told the university that I'll be retiring at the end of this academic year, so I hope I can get cracking then.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »
How about Maud on one side, Blymp on the other.  Or Blaud. Or Mymp.
It may end up that way, Bo.  I've been known to get careless in my decal application.  Especially late at night.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 09:07:25 AM »
Following this one, Bud, whichever it might be at the end... Just for the heck of it, you should think of third scheme ;)
Oh, don't think I haven't thought about it, Zoran.  In fact, with all of the options on Rowan's sheet, I can't even be certain that one of the two I've chosen will be the final product.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:55:13 AM by coyotemagic »