Author Topic: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane  (Read 40640 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: My first WNW build: Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 03:00:45 AM »
I'll have to tell her that shipping is cheaper if you buy multiples.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 03:06:56 AM »
I'll have to tell her that shipping is cheaper if you buy multiples.

Shhhhh!  By the way, your 'Turn Back' button doesn't work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 03:18:33 AM »
I reckon I'd better post an update before this thread ends up in the archives.  This is what I've got so far:

Yes, that's a 1/48 scale Tripe cockpit on the right, so this has indeed become a dual build.  The Eduard kit will act as training wheels while I'm off to my wobbly 1/32 scale start.  That kit requires a lot of TLC to bring it close to WNW standards, so this build may take a while.  Please, bear with me.

The Eduard floor is terrible and was completely replaced, including floor boards and framing copied from the WNW kit.  Other modifications to the Eduard cockpit were made with proper fit in mind, so all other cockpit parts were simply altered to look more acceptable.  For instance, the rear bulkhead shouldn't be a bulkhead at all, but framinging.

That little cluster of parts at the lower left are the 1/48 parts once they were cleaned up and painted.

That odd looking grey thing, upper right, is the original Eduard floor.  Yuck!

And this is the revised floor.  A little better, I think.

I promise that this is really a WNW Tripe build and more of that will follow soon.  Just had to get all that out of my system.
Thanks for tolerating my self indulgence.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 03:31:04 AM »
Actually I find seeing a 1/48 - 1/32 side-by-side, same subject build extremely interesting...

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 03:38:40 AM »
Actually I find seeing a 1/48 - 1/32 side-by-side, same subject build extremely interesting...
Thanks, Bo.  I'll try to keep it that way. ;)
Cheers,
Bud

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 03:42:48 AM »
Hello Bud,

Your progress is outstanding my friend. Super beautiful chair, so nice wood painting and control cables are top. This is going to be a super build and a nice log to follow. Keep up the great work Bud!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 04:12:11 AM »
As always, thank you for your support, Patrick.  Working on the WNW instrument panel now.  I'll post a pic once I'm satisfied that I've done all I can.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 04:38:41 AM »
Beautiful interior Bud, in both scales! ;D  I really like the shades of your wood and leather.  Very well done!

Cheers,

Bob

Offline radio

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 04:45:56 AM »
That are very nice interior builds and painting Bud.
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 06:17:14 AM »
Thank you very much, Bob and Martin!  Martin, you should avoid building any WNW kits at all cost.  You will become irreversibly hooked and may end up abandoning 1/48 scale and that would be tragic.

Well, here's that instrument panel as promised.  WNW did such a great job with the molding and the decals that all I added was a sight glass for the pulsometer and a bezel for the compass.  Those of you who have built this kit may notice that I inadvertently shaved off the locating pins on the sides of the IP.  Ooops!  Hope it still fits.

Cheers,
Bud

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 06:21:16 AM »
Looking great Bud, nice to see another Tripe.  The missing pins shouldn't be an issue, as the ammo box has locating tabs on the top edges that sit in slots on the side frames.

Just remember to dry fit regularly as the fit is very tight.

Which version are you building?  (sorry if I missed if you've already said)

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 07:16:40 AM »
Thanks, Ian!  And thanks for the tip and the reassurance.  I'm building a one gun ship, probably 'Blymp' or 'Maud', although as I continue my research, I'm becoming more intrigued with the earlier, Pup style tail.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2014, 07:23:58 AM »
Very nice dual build, Bud. It is great to see how the scales compare. Thanks for sharing.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »
Thanks, Prez!  I really enjoy this sort of build.  I'll probably do the same with the Snipe, the Roland D.VI, the LVG and the Fee.  No, not the Fee.  Far too complex.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2014, 07:45:38 AM »
   Looking very nice, Bud. I'll be very interested in your "Final Judgement" on one scale vs. the other when you complete this project. BTW, don't feel alone or silly about the locating pins on the IP, I did it too! :(
Cheers,
Lance