Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Siemens Schuckert DIII  (Read 5392 times)

Offline petrov27

Roden 1/32 Siemens Schuckert DIII
« on: February 01, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
This kit has been a shelf-queen for years but I finally have pulled through and finished it up. I had no end of troubles with it - mostly my own doing - and it is great to get it completed. Build logs started on two forums (both now defunct or not allowing discussion on models any more) but never could get it wrapped up till now.

The aircraft as depicted was flown by Heinrich Dembrowsky of Squadron Kest 5; in November 1918 this aircraft along with several others of Kest 5 were flown to Switzerland to avoid turning them over to the Allies. The logo on the sides of the aircraft is the crest of the pilots former Grenadier regiment.

Also used Gaspatch turnbuckles (both 1/32 and 1/48 sizes) Master Spandau barrels, Pheon decals for the national insignia, the logo on the sides of the fuselage artwork was done by Peter Thierstein (back in the Aerodrome forum days) and I had it printed on decal paper in gold by Fireball Modelworks. Peter also sent me some photoetched parts for this kit that he was working on and I have used them.

I created "templated" lozenge decals to fit the kit based on the lozenge patterns done by Doug Baumann again back from the Aerodrome forum. Rigging is black monofilament looped through the turnbuckles at one end, secured with a small section of micro tube and I used Bob's Buckles eyelets at the non turnbuckle end of each rigging line.

-Patrick

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Roden 1/32 Siemens Schuckert DIII
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »
She's truly breathtaking, Petrov!  So glad to see that you've finally finished her!  How long has the modeling section of the 'drome been closed?  She's well worth the wait, my friend.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 10:19:20 AM »
She's truly breathtaking, Petrov!  So glad to see that you've finally finished her!  How long has the modeling section of the 'drome been closed?  She's well worth the wait, my friend.
Cheers,
Bud

I agree 100%. I was watching in the OLD DROME days and am glad you finally got her done!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
Gorgeous colour scheme, Petrov, and beautifully done. The interior work is remarkably clean and the black finish, never easy, stands out from the ordinary. Very nicely done!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline petrov27

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
Thanks a ton for the positive feedback! I think I started it early 2011 maybe?
-Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »
What a beautiful Siemens, Petrov.  The lozenge and colour scheme are great.
Such a treat to see such an amazing model.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:04:06 PM by Ernie Parsons »
The new old guy, take two...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »
Hello Petrov:

I do remember you working this on the Drome.  You really did an outstanding job on this bird and it looks great.  Like Lance said, the interior is clean and well executed and appointed.  Just a treat for the eyes.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
I'm glad you hauled this back out. I love all black paint jobs. Beautiful work!

Lindsay

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
O my Petrov, what a wonderful aircraft you made. As Lindsay I love the black painting. It's a real amazing build, interior, lozenge, rigging and paintwork. Great craftmanship. Many congratulations, another joy for the eye!!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »
I also remember this model from the drome days and often wondered what happened to it, to see it now all finished is such a treat, you have done a superb job on this model and the colour scheme is brilliant.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:11:56 AM »
I agree with all that has be written - a real piece of craftsmanship and a truly inspiring finish. In fact an inspiring model all round.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 04:16:07 AM »
Thanks again gents - always good to hear positive feedback!
-Patrick

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 01:00:47 PM »
Excellent model and from a kit that doesn't seem to get built very often. I particularly like how you handled the details on the topside of the forward fuselage.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »
Very, very nice Petrov. A lovely build. The photos you've taken really do justice to this powerful beast of a plane and show what skilled hands can achieve even with not the best of kits.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »
By the way, how was this kit for ease of building? I had never really considered this kit, but after seeing your build I may reconsider.

Lindsay