Author Topic: I do build models, honestly!  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: I do build models, honestly!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
Hello, Nigel,

Excellent modelling skills, based on your photos: Well Done! More topics to discuss when we meet at Telford!  :D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 02:55:22 AM »
Nigel:
I'm later than most, as I just joined.
I am a novice at this, and I only HOPE my initial efforts will turn out as nice as yours!!!  8) ;)
Thank You for sharing your builds..........
Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 04:45:09 AM »
Thank you so much for your kind words Jim. There's more on the way, but work has left me so little spare time of late.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline mgunns

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
Hello Nigel:

I fully appreciate your trepidation.  I was the same way when I got back into WWI modeling.  There was so much quality work out there and I felt like the proverbial hack.  However, I proceeded to build, always a first step, and posted the finished product.  I received praise and constructive comments from all and have learned so much since then.  I still feel like the hack, but what the heck, I post the models anyway.  I am always learning and always improving and that is what is counts.  This is a great forum, much to learn and much to share.
You do great work Nigel and it is a joy to look at your collection and enjoy the visual feast.
Looking forward to your build of the EV.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
Thank you so much Mark for your kindness and encouragement. I've just started work on the EV cockpit and will be posting some photos in the not too distant future, I hope.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Bolman

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
Nigel,

I found this thread by searching Google with 'Does Nigel Jackson BUILD models?'
So, here I am!  What a totally AWESOME group of builds you have there. The Pfalz is definately my favorite.

I must also comment on your reluctance to post your work up until this posting;

I do completely share your 'fears' as it were of what others see of the work being done. Mine aren't even in the same class as what is being posted on here since nearly none of my over 60 builds are anything close to being a historical representation of a WW1 aircraft. Why? Mine are filling a need as game pieces and I do what I can get away with in order to make it look good enough on the game table. I wouldn't dream of taking any of my completed models to date to a model competition/show. They're just not built to that level. But, I am building my skills to the point that someday, I may actually take the challenge and build a competition model and come see how well it fairs.

Keep up the good work pal, and... if you take more pics of the Pfalz, I'd be happy to attempt to duplicate that scheme in 1/72!

John

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »
Hey , now those are some fine clean builds ! I really love how your Pfalz D.IIIa turned out  :) Would love to see some more phot's of this one and the Bristol fighter as well  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 10:06:55 PM »
Hello John and Terri

I'm glad that you found the photos and thank you so much for your kind words, they are much appreciated.

It seems to me that one of the great features of this forum is the willingness of members to view and appreciate builds within their context, rather than always only against a sole absolute, supposed perfection So, that leaves scope for the slow journeyman like me. It would also mean a welcome for your earlier work, John, as a gamer. It's very many years since I entered a competition and that was with wargame figure painting and some military vehicles; they achieved some success, but I decided that it wasn't really something for me.

I don't think I have any more photos to hand, but the next time I take any, I'll make sure that I do some more of the Pfalz and the Brisfit. It may just take a bit of time because, as you may have read elsewhere, circumstance has not been been kind with my wife's accident and things are proceeding very slowly. I have an EV started and a Camel much further on (both Eduard 1/48), though some frustrations with latter may lead to its completion using hammer and nails. Then it will on to something from WnW.

As to the Pfalz scheme, John, it's straight from the Eduard dual combo set. If it helped I'd be happy to copy that part of the instruction sheet for you and send it by email.

Thank you both, again.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline vincentm

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 07:46:50 AM »
I just discovered your galeries. Very very nice birds. The builds are particularly clean and precise. I love the Pfalz, I plan to build one of the same Jasta (pilot: Georg von der Marwitz).
Let me know if you take those kits at model shows in western France, I'd be happy to see them and meet you as well.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
Well Nigel, I must apologize for the VERY LATE reply! For some reason I thought I had already commented  :-X
That is a beautiful collection! I really like the DVII and Tripe, and Nieuport and......
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
As I said way back on page one Nigel, your models are all extremely well done and I look forward to seeing your newest builds.

I started this forum to cater for all scales of WW1 model aircraft and more so for all levels of modeling experience and skill levels. There is no and will never be any distinction between what people perceive as a good or bad build, all models and modelers will be treated equal and hopefully we can all learn from each other and keep it as a fun hobby.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2014, 12:00:30 PM »
I enjoy your modelling, Nigel, and look forward to your next projects. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2014, 10:40:53 PM »
I do completely share your 'fears' as it were of what others see of the work being done. Mine aren't even in the same class as what is being posted on here since nearly none of my over 60 builds are anything close to being a historical representation of a WW1 aircraft. Why? Mine are filling a need as game pieces and I do what I can get away with in order to make it look good enough on the game table. I wouldn't dream of taking any of my completed models to date to a model competition/show. They're just not built to that level. But, I am building my skills to the point that someday, I may actually take the challenge and build a competition model and come see how well it fairs.

The main drawing feature of this forum in my opinion is that there's room for all different skill levels. We have a great membership here who are unfailingly helpful and mindful of the fact that not everyone is, or will be, a master builder. There is a distinct lack of ego on display here, unlike on many other modelling sites. Build for the fun of it, don't feel that you need to be a slave to absolute accuracy, and don't be shy about posting your work for us to see. At least that's how I approach things.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 04:55:39 AM »
They all look nice to me Nigel. I did the same Fokker triplane kit in the same scheme as my first build after getting back into the hobby, it didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours.
It'll be great to see some more of your work when you get a bit more time to build.

Cheers

Tom