Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Siemens Schuckert DIII  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Brez

Re: Roden 1/32 Siemens Schuckert DIII
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 12:30:06 AM »
Beautifully finished Petrov. I wasn't exactly over the moon that Eduard was bringing out a SSW DIII this year, but having seen your lovely model, I'm quite looking forward to it  :)

Cheers,
Tony.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 12:56:16 AM »
Truly lovely! Thank you for sharing, Petrov.

I am just starting to get interested in this type. Seems to have been flown by KEST 6 (Hangelar-aerodrome near Cologne), later JASTA 86, too - as far as I understand. Does anyone have any more Information on KEST 6 / Jasta 86? Photos even?  much appreciated.
Thanx all!
Richard

Offline petrov27

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 05:01:36 AM »
By the way, how was this kit for ease of building? I had never really considered this kit, but after seeing your build I may reconsider.

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay - it is a bit rough but not the worst I have seen. The fuselage detail is pretty poor - the panel lines are large trenches and the hand-holds are not in exactly the right locations. I filled these in and scribed new panel lines and also corrected the handhold locations.

Fit wise, I found the fit of the horizontal tail and lower wing to the fuselage both very poor, needing lots of work and putty. It has a fair number of parts for the interior though the locations where they fit exactly are a little vague. I made a new seat from plastic card and redid some of the instruments but otherwise used the kit parts.
-Patrick

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 09:56:17 AM »
i remember thisawesome build the doug baumann lozenge looks sweet againts the black fuselage. i also remember another build from the aerodrome days. there was a guy who had designed a photoetched set that he did at home and made the engine cylinders from stacks of pe rings,he altermated the diameter to simulater the cooling fins. what ever happened to that guy?

Offline petrov27

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:53 PM »
i remember thisawesome build the doug baumann lozenge looks sweet againts the black fuselage. i also remember another build from the aerodrome days. there was a guy who had designed a photoetched set that he did at home and made the engine cylinders from stacks of pe rings,he altermated the diameter to simulater the cooling fins. what ever happened to that guy?

Thanks!

Yes - that build was done by Peter Thierstein - he sent me a few of his etched parts and I used them on this build. I know he had done many more etched bits and it was a very ambitious build he was doing. I think he went on to the Great War Air forum and I think he continued it there but I dont think it was completed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:05:43 AM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »
It is a very fine SSW, petrov! That black fuselage with personal insignia looks very attractive. Congratulations on bringing this build to such an end!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 07:11:57 AM »
 Petrov,
I'm glad to see you finished this gem my old friend. Awesome paint scheme!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Colaco

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »
Fantastic build Petrov. Keep going.
All the best  ;)
Francisco Colaço

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
I have been waiting a very long time for this one , very well done !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline petrov27

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 07:54:44 AM »
Thanks Terri! Yes it was really great to wrap this build up after so long!
-Patrick

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 07:21:11 AM »
Superb, Petrov -

I really like the colour/scheme markings on this one a well.

The main problem that I had with this kit was getting to lower wing on - it just did not fit at all!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Peter_T1958

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
Hi Petrov

By coincidence I came across this forum and ... found these wonderful pics of this very attractive aircraft. Although all has been said before I wanted to congratulate you to such a "masterpiece".
And of course I feel a little ashamed to see the Roden D.III presented in its full splendour here. Something I haven't been able to do yet.

and it was a very ambitious build he was doing. I think he went on to the Great War Air forum and I think he continued it there but I dont think it was completed.

"Too ambitious" I think, and I don't know if I ever will start all over again.

All the best,
Peter

Offline vincentm

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 08:35:49 AM »
Just gorgeous. The black and gold finish with the lozenges makes it one of the most beautiful WWI birds in my opinion.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 10:01:27 AM »
Hi Peter - great to hear from you and glad you found the forum! Hope you can get back to your plan on your build of the SSWDIII - your etched parts were extremely impressive!

Thanks all again for the positive feedback on this build!
-Patrick