Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 425602 times)

Offline gcn

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1185 on: March 31, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
My latest delivery took 5 weeks door to door. The shipping notice was sent almost immediately but the detailed tracking notes said collected from customer (WNW) 2 weeks after this date, so whether they're sending out the notices ahead of the goods actually going who knows.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1186 on: March 31, 2015, 06:03:44 PM »
I don't think any of us really know the ins and outs of the Wingnuts order processing, this is my theory;

When an order is placed at Wingnuts it is processed reasonably quickly and a shipping notice sent out to the customer. The parcel is held in the Wingnuts warehouse ready to be picked up by NZ Post which is only once a week, I have estimated it is a Thursday, so if you place an order on Friday, you get shipping notice but your parcel will sit there until the following Thursday before being picked up. If your parcel happens to fall through the cracks it may not get picked up until another week has passed. Because of the free post offered by Wingnuts our parcels would be treated with the lowest possible priority, so they could sit at NZ Post for a week or two before they actually put it on an aeroplane, what happens to the parcel after that is in the lap of the gods, a parcel addressed to me in Australia once went to Austria, then back to me here in Australia, an honest mistake   ???

Which ever way we look at it I'm sure that all parties involved are doing their best to get the parcels to us in a reasonable time, what we call reasonable and what they call reasonable may be completely different but we do eventually receive our goods, even if it did do three laps of the globe before it reached your door  :) ;) ;)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #1187 on: March 31, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »
Thankfully I have never had problems with WNW deliveries.  In the UK, I usually receive the kits 2-3 weeks after ordering.  These days though, the time to deliver is immaterial as the models will sit in the stash for a few months minimum even if they jump the waiting queue!

Kai

« Reply #1188 on: March 31, 2015, 07:30:40 PM »
I think Des has it more or less nailed - as the shipping cost is effectively included within the purchase price, WNW must have a sizeable contract with NZ Post and have negotiated a low cost due to volume.

However, the corollary of this is that speed is not of the essence!

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #1189 on: March 31, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »
I can't say I have had any unreasonable delays with my shipments.
For me, it's about ten days, to the wilds of western Canada, which
I don't have any trouble with. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :(
The new old guy, take two...

Online macsporran

« Reply #1190 on: March 31, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »
It might be costing them business though.

In a fit of excitement I ordered a Felixstowe before Christmas and I got a shipment note back detailing the F2a, (with a W.12 and a D.VIIF thrown in for good measure - and to save on UK Customs charge.)

However the ref did not appear on the UK Parcel Farce website so I checked NZ Post - where it did not appear either. I asked WNW for clarification and, after Christmas, they tried to track it for me but couldn't. After several more weeks of nada I eventually told them I'd have to get Paypal to cancel the transaction. Dave emailed me back right away to say that the package had just been returned to them from NZ Post and he'd process a refund right away.

I must say that after the thrill of a huge boat prompted me to place the order, common sense had kicked in over Christmas and I realised I'd probably never build the thing, certainly not with it's wings on anyway. I resolved to re-order the W.12 and D.VIIF once the AEG was realised, anticipating a 169USD price tag. Of course when it appeared with a ludicrous price it just pi**ed me off so much that I didn't get one.
I don't really need another D.VII, with two in the stash, so I'll probably wait for the next single-seater and add a W.12 to that order.
Net result: lost order to WNW worth almost 450USD.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #1191 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:19 AM »
No, it's not too early to worry.  Let me tell you a tale.

I ordered a Gotha on February 28.  I got the email from WNW saying it too was shipped on March 6.  3 days later it showed up as Picked Up on the NZ Post tracking.
By the way, try entering your tracking number in the USPS.com site.  Mine showed up there at the same time it went live on the NZ Post site (March 9).

It then took only 2 days to make it to Los Angeles, clearing customs 3 days later and arriving in Cleveland OH on March 18, just 45 minutes away from me in Akron.  But guess what....I still haven't received it!  Yup, for some as-yet-unexplained reason, it did an about-face and was sent back to WNW.  It arrived in their warehouse last week (signed for by Dave) but I've not yet had any response from them as to why it was returned or when it would be re-shipped.  I finally emailed Richard this evening and he immediately responded saying he'd follow up with Dave on the matter.

I highly recommend you try USPS tracking first and if that doesn't provide any information, I'd contact Wingnuts. 

Eric

I had this with a couple of WNW orders about 18months ago. From what I can gather the front of the plastic sleeve that contains the piece of paper that has the address/customs info on it got ripped off and the piece of paper went walkabout. The postal authorities then had no idea of where to deliver the package so returned it to WNW.

On later orders I did notice that there was an additional stuck on address label obviously to provide a back up if the above happened again but I'm not sure I saw that on my last order.

Peter
It happened to me in january with a parcel containing a d vii they had gone sold out in the meanwhile, but Dave fixed it and sent the packet back to me when it was back in NZ

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #1192 on: April 01, 2015, 04:19:09 AM »
Wingnut Wings makes the most accurate, well-engineered, easy to build detailed WWI scale models you can buy. I have been building WWI plastic scale models off and on for about sixty years and I stand by that. To do that costs money to research, design, make and test, produce the artwork and the instruction and reference booklet for each. Additionally, Wingnut Wings offers free (which is arguably highly reduced) shipping for their customers. Purchasing these kits is obviously a personal decision based on perceived value. To argue that they are priced too high is also a personal opinion, not shared by a very large number of modelers and to blame Wingnut Wings for that is to insist that they share your personal values.

It would also appear that with the thousands of kits shipped around the planet, they are doing a fantastic job of it especailly since once the kit leaves their warehouse, they are no long in control of its destiny.

It appears to me that because some think that the later Wingnut Wings kits are priced too high and that some have experienced shipping or postal issues for kits that have to travel thousands of miles across various bureaucratic processes, Wingnut Wings is now a favroite target for complaint.

I have no complaints except that I can't buy all of the kits I would like to have, but that's not Wingnut Wings's fault.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #1193 on: April 01, 2015, 04:46:24 AM »
I have never ha any issues, just one and it was corrected immediately.  Most of the time I have the kit 10 days or left after I place the order.  I'm usually shocked how fast they come.  I can't say enough nice things about their customer service, and their kits.  Long live WNW  :)

Offline ermeio

« Reply #1194 on: April 01, 2015, 06:38:02 AM »
My comment was not a complaint in any way.
I was stating that the people at Wingnut Wings are excellent also in fixing the occasional mess...
please remember that most of us live at the antipodes and that also the postal service is to be praised...
out of some 30 packages I received at least 20 in two weeks and the others in three or four.
Apart from the service, the quality of WNW is above anything that has been produced so far.

I have also to tell something about the excellent AEG: some of us forgot that its release was delayed for quality issues: it maybe that the price cap is due to some sprues that had to be re-engineered; I am not sure that in this case the casters bear all the costs.
WNW delivered an excellent product, anyway.

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #1195 on: April 01, 2015, 07:16:37 AM »
Hi Des

I once had a package of guitar making wood that I needed urgently from the USA sent priority airmail (It makes your eye's water the shipping price they charged me) It arrived  2 months later with lots of stuff from Australian tourist board and customs about whats allowed to be sent to Australia, Yes you guessed it I live in Austria (no kangaroos) Still, life goes on.
Cheers

Andrew
I don't think any of us really know the ins and outs of the Wingnuts order processing, this is my theory;

When an order is placed at Wingnuts it is processed reasonably quickly and a shipping notice sent out to the customer. The parcel is held in the Wingnuts warehouse ready to be picked up by NZ Post which is only once a week, I have estimated it is a Thursday, so if you place an order on Friday, you get shipping notice but your parcel will sit there until the following Thursday before being picked up. If your parcel happens to fall through the cracks it may not get picked up until another week has passed. Because of the free post offered by Wingnuts our parcels would be treated with the lowest possible priority, so they could sit at NZ Post for a week or two before they actually put it on an aeroplane, what happens to the parcel after that is in the lap of the gods, a parcel addressed to me in Australia once went to Austria, then back to me here in Australia, an honest mistake   ???

Which ever way we look at it I'm sure that all parties involved are doing their best to get the parcels to us in a reasonable time, what we call reasonable and what they call reasonable may be completely different but we do eventually receive our goods, even if it did do three laps of the globe before it reached your door  :) ;) ;)

Des.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #1196 on: April 01, 2015, 12:17:35 PM »
I think it is generally accepted that Wingnut's customer service is second to none and the kit quality is great, so I'm unsure why it is perceived as 'blaming' or 'criticising' when people make observations or recount their own experiences and perceptions. No-one is forcing their values on anyone by having an opinion.

Of course it is criticism to say that "Of course when it appeared with a ludicrous price it just pi**ed me off so much that I didn't get one." And, such criticism calls for a rebuttal offering a different opinion. If one doesn't care to buy something because of a disagreement on price it really doesn't contribute much to the conversation to use terms like those.

I also do not want to precipitate an argument over this, so I apologize for hijacking the thread and will comment no further on this topic.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1197 on: April 01, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
Okay, enough has been said, lets get this topic back on track, we are talking about Wingnuts speculation, what kits do you speculate will be released this year from Wingnuts.

To be quite honest I believe that we will see a Sopwith Camel and a BE.2, the BE.2 is on the top of my list. Anything else will be a real bonus and I'm sure will be eagerly snapped up by modelers.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1198 on: April 01, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
Okay, enough has been said, lets get this topic back on track, we are talking about Wingnuts speculation, what kits do you speculate will be released this year from Wingnuts.

To be quite honest I believe that we will see a Sopwith Camel and a BE.2, the BE.2 is on the top of my list. Anything else will be a real bonus and I'm sure will be eagerly snapped up by modelers.

Des.

Yes, I feel the same, the BE.2 is at the top of my list too.

George

mike in calif

« Reply #1199 on: April 01, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »
I'd like to see a few very early war kites....And a Sopwith Tabloid/Baby. Some USNS types would be cool.