Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 425756 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #975 on: February 18, 2015, 11:36:19 PM »
I expect the AEG to be expensive and I just put it down to all WnW kits being limited run items. The lower the production numbers, the more expensive they are. We pay a premium because there just isn't the same interest in WWI aviation modelling as there is in other genres of the hobby.

It's interesting to compare it to the 1:35 AFV Club Matador gun tractor I'm currently building, as the part count is in the same ballpark. The Matador consists of 496 parts in plastic, 28 clear parts, 38 PE parts, 5 vinyl tires, 1 decal sheet, and 1 sheet of clear film windows. This comes with a $53.00 price tag, depending on where you buy it.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #976 on: February 19, 2015, 01:43:16 AM »
Selling direct has a much higher profit margin than selling to a wholesaler.  I'm sure they have figured out a strategy, why on earth would they sell things at a loss, I think we need to give them a little more credit.  I really don't think there will be any charity benefits held for the WNW crew anytime soon.  I reckon they know what they are doing and are doing quite well. 

As for saying the AEG is almost the same size as the Gotha GIV, the wingspan of the Gotha is 78' (24m) the AEG is 60' (18m) thats a difference of 18' (5.5m), so the Gotha is quite a bit bigger.  That's over 7" (17.7cm) on the model itself.  I'm just saying that when we say they are almost the same size, there is quite a bit of difference......

Offline zavod44

« Reply #977 on: February 19, 2015, 01:46:02 AM »
Well the Rolands that were released later last year, were still the usual $99 like the rest of the other two seaters.  Why do we think this will be so much more than the Gotha?  Why wouldn't they just raise the price on the Gotha, and all the rest of their kits if they are losing so much money?  Conventional wisdom would put the kit between a Roland and a Gotha...the size puts in in that area.  Personally I think it would be $129-$139.  The kit isn't that huge.....Why do we think it would be almost the price of the Felix?

I have no idea how this will be priced, but just as observation: ... parts count is greater than Felix and nearly the same as Gotha... Has 5 sheets of decals vs. Felix and 1.25 for the Gotha ...

Real question to me is how many boxings... Kinda hoping they stick to just one this time...

Why so your not forced into buying three?   :D :D :D

That's what I'm fearing too!

I also wanted to mention the DFW was another two seater released later last year and it held to the $99 price tag......if they were going to re-adjust prices why not do it on that kit? 

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #978 on: February 19, 2015, 02:09:46 AM »
    Although having seen the real thing in our National Aviation Museum I only last night checked out the dimensions and "scaled it out" to see how well the Model would fit in my Display cases.........Not!! :'( It's way bigger then I thought, could be a game changer for this little Hobbyist. As for a price guestimate, I'd say same as the Gotha.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #979 on: February 19, 2015, 04:17:47 AM »
I hope the guys from WNW are not listen to you, Justin.  :-\
$199.- would be fierce................  :'(

Offline petrov27

« Reply #980 on: February 19, 2015, 11:10:29 AM »
I am guessing $199 also.

Now reference pics and 360 view are up for AEG.

Wow those pics of that AEG crashed into the hangar are something else - would make an interesting diorama (if anyone brave enough to chop up the WNW kit!) :)
-Patrick

Offline Matt Parvis

« Reply #981 on: February 19, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
Petrov, do you mean like this. 

On the other hand, most of us aren't Per Olav Lund.  :)

Matt
We won't bring the muskets, we won't cause the pain,
But we're good for some headaches, and tough to clean stains.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #982 on: February 19, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »
Petrov, do you mean like this. 

On the other hand, most of us aren't Per Olav Lund.  :)

Matt

Matt, that's one of my all time favorite dioramas. Every aspect of it is amazing. Of course the plane, figures, and water are all done perfectly, but even the way the base is designed is well thought out and adds interest.

George

Offline petrov27

« Reply #983 on: February 19, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »
yep - that is an incredible diorama with the W29 and brilliant presentation with the base etc.
-Patrick

Offline Tiger2

« Reply #984 on: February 19, 2015, 09:23:14 PM »
The 360 turn around is up now and it looks awesome!!

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #985 on: February 19, 2015, 09:37:24 PM »
I think it looks rather detailed, meaning awfully expensive. My poor wallet.

Stefan

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #986 on: February 20, 2015, 06:26:24 AM »
Does anyone else find it sort of funny that all the archive photos of the AEG are of a crash? Is this all that exists? There must be other period pics, right?

George

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #987 on: February 20, 2015, 06:48:03 AM »
Does anyone else find it sort of funny that all the archive photos of the AEG are of a crash? Is this all that exists? There must be other period pics, right?

Not that surprising… may be all that Sir PJ has in his personal stash :) Crashes were well documented by Army policy. But there are other photos of the AEG for sure :)

Offline Russell

« Reply #988 on: February 20, 2015, 06:55:17 AM »

George

There are but I suspect the they've resisted showing any which will give the game away as regards which 5 markings they've chosen.

Regards
Russell

Offline petrov27

« Reply #989 on: February 20, 2015, 07:28:45 AM »

George

Hard to say, but some of the releases to seem to have a trend - like I think the FE2 release most pics are of shot down and captured examples and most of the included schemes are the same
-Patrick