Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 425778 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #795 on: December 15, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
As the person who wrote some of the Wingnut Wings feature articles often referred to in threads about what WNW said or did not say, I have reviewed my interview notes with Richard Alexander and the remarks sent by Sir Peter Jackson and nowhere did either gentleman say anything about Wingnut Wings kits having a short-ish run and then special editions. Nor have I seen that remark in any other published article.

Wingnuts have never disclosed their production runs for commercial-in-confidence reasons, nor do they disclose sales figures for the same reason. They have said that when kits sell out they won't be reissued in that form ( that said this remark pre-dates the return of the Hansa Brandenburg W.29 in the new Duellists set).

The special editions remark was in the context of when kits sell out, they will reappear at some future time as a special edition kit with extra photo etch, more decals, figures etc.

Although this has not yet happened there is a photo with my 2010 feature on Hyperscale showing one of the Wingnuts staff with his computer screen showing the photo etch extras for the Albatros D.V special edition. Another photo shows another staffer with a computer screen showing the LVG special edition instruction renders. These images have been published so the special edition kits are real- just not released yet. There were also images of some of the resin figures, also not yet available.

As the earlier articles have not been updated, some people are taking information from them and assuming they refer to the state of play in 2014. Not so. For example early in the piece Wingnuts said  they were not doing a Sopwith Camel but a year or so back they confirmed a Camel is in development.

The earlier articles were accurate for their time but Richard Alexander also said "never say never" in regard to possible future kit selections.

That said there's been a lot of speculation on various forums about whether WNW is doing a BE2c or a Fokker DVIII or a whatever. The facts are Wingnuts has never said they are doing these kits. We want them to, but they have never been confirmed by WNW and online speculation needs to be read in that context- just a guess.

As for the remarks that Wingnuts are producing kits for fun, that's a stretch of the imagination. Sir Peter Jackson in the 2010 feature said "We are not driven by market forces and profit". That said I'm sure the company which has Sir Peter's financial backing, is not doing it to make a loss either.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #796 on: December 15, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
They have said that when kits sell out they won't be reissued in that form ( that said this remark pre-dates the return of the Hansa Brandenburg W.29 in the new Duellists set).

However, . . . the W.29 did return, but in different form, in a Duelist set, AND with different decals, SO it is in different form.

Nothing, to my mind, different in what they said, and what happened.

Dave, your above post is why I didn't say I'd heard or read this or that since I haven't, but only have heard heresay.

Warren

Online RAGIII

« Reply #797 on: December 15, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
Well put Dave! I think any panic or thoughts of them closing shop quickly is a far fetched Idea. I don't think Sir Peter would suddenly put all of the dedicated staff at WNW on Unemployment  8) I also think Chris is perhaps doing a little Tongue in cheek about the disappearing act. JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #798 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:38 AM »

As for the remarks that Wingnuts are producing kits for fun, that's a stretch of the imagination. Sir Peter Jackson in the 2010 feature said "We are not driven by market forces and profit". That said I'm sure the company which has Sir Peter's financial backing, is not doing it to make a loss either.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Dave, thanks for the perspective -- i suppose saying they are doing it for "fun" is a bit flip semantically, but I contend not entirely inaccurate. Why else are you doing something not driven by market forces or profit? This isn't a charity -- they aren't saving the world -- they are making plastic model airplanes that their boss and benefactor fancies.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #799 on: December 15, 2014, 10:54:41 AM »
I also think Chris is perhaps doing a little Tongue in cheek about the disappearing act. JMHO,
RAGIII

;) ;D
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #800 on: December 15, 2014, 03:14:29 PM »
You know, it's not like most, if not all, of us have a gob of unbuilt kits in the pipeline.

Bob, Sir PJ DOES get to fly 1:1 scale a/c, he's got his TVAL toys to play with too.

Warren

I know he has a part to play in TVAL, but Peter doesn't go up in the aircraft! His insurance company would have a hissy fit if he did!

vB
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:30:47 AM by bobs_buckles »

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #801 on: January 07, 2015, 07:20:12 AM »
Well Felix has certainly quietened things here!

I was just thinking/fantasising  about "Duellists"  WNW might put together in due course. If we pile speculation upon speculation we might see Dr.I and Sopwith Camel separate releases and some have seen them put together as "Duellists".  However, should they ever emerge as releases, I wonder if it more likely that a Dr.I might be paired with an existing SE5a (à la Hisso box art) and a Camel with a D.VII.

Oh well, back to the cowling panels on the D.VII.

Best wishes
Nigel

mike in calif

« Reply #802 on: January 07, 2015, 10:22:41 PM »
I'm content to wait for the AEG. The extended development time on the DVII sure resulted in a fantastic kit. I'm curious as to the 1920s versions of the Brisfit and Ninack, they should have interesting paint schemes.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #803 on: January 08, 2015, 12:41:28 AM »
My mind has already started thinking about the AEG,  what a sickness I have!

Offline zavod44

« Reply #804 on: January 08, 2015, 01:51:16 AM »
I don't even want to be cured!

Offline James

Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #805 on: January 08, 2015, 01:52:21 AM »
Do you guys think the A.E.G. will be the same price as the Gotha?
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline eclarson

« Reply #806 on: January 08, 2015, 02:14:24 AM »
I'll bet that as 12 January approaches, speculation of the actual release date for the AEG will heat this thread up again.

Michael

I'm also wondering if any other kits will be sold out once they fill all the holiday orders.

Eric

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #807 on: January 08, 2015, 03:20:22 AM »
I'll bet that as 12 January approaches, speculation of the actual release date for the AEG will heat this thread up again.

Michael

I'm also wondering if any other kits will be sold out once they fill all the holiday orders.

Eric

Felixstowe?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

mike in calif

« Reply #808 on: January 08, 2015, 07:15:12 AM »
That it would be. I guess the stage is set for a Handley-page though, given the respective size compared to a Gotha, AEG, and now the Felix. I would still like to see a couple of Brit seaplanes comparable to the W series planes.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #809 on: January 08, 2015, 07:33:24 AM »
Nah, the 2015 is the right centenary for a Caproni Ca 3 and perhaps a Ca 4  Triplane.
Fiorello La Guardia piloted them and the french had a production Line put up by Esnault Pelterie.
Plenty of postwar and colonial variations and no other one of the WW1 bombers sported the same variety of colorful distinctive signs and camouflage, not even the gothas...
That would be the ideal companion for the Ansaldo Balilla...