Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 425730 times)

mike in calif

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #540 on: November 18, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »
I was wondering about that kit. I have one of each of the others, and may order a F along with an OAW, which should give me lots of extra bits.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #541 on: November 19, 2014, 01:01:33 AM »
I'm in the group thinking that Albies would have been long gone. So many markings options, with so much color, and the same with DVIIs. I guess I'll have to plan a couple more to add to the shelf; DVIIs that is.  The DVII looks to have all the bits for each version, less decals. If you have the instructions for the Fok version you ought to be good. Like the Albie.
 I see I'm not alone wondering about the Felixstowe in the background of the HB boxart. The Gotha, and AEG point to working out the engineering for larger machines, and a Felixstowe would be along the lines of the HK B-25 methinks.

Actually the Wingspan of a Gotha is longer than that of a B-25...A B-25 has a wingspan of 68' (21m)  and the Gotha 78' (24m)  the fuselage on the B-25 is a little longer about 13' ( a little over 4m).  The Felixstowe is almost the size of a B-17, the Felixstowe wingspan is only about 10' shorter (a little over 3m) only about 3 3/4" inches shorter in scale, very very close to the same size....it would be pretty huge
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:19:59 AM by zavod44 »

mike in calif

« Reply #542 on: November 19, 2014, 03:19:12 AM »
Yes, it would be .....rather large, but what a project!

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #543 on: November 19, 2014, 05:04:12 AM »
You guys got me a bit curious about the Felixstowe so I went to Wikipedia and found this version of them; A Felixstowe Porte Baby...meant pretty much for a situation that was waaaaay ahead of it's time (talk about the crazy fast evolvement of WWI aircraft): a piggy-back of a scout...a Bristol Scout..on the top wing to launch from the air...had no idea...fascinating. Sorry to diverge from the WnW thread...couldn't resist.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felixstowe_Porte_Baby
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline petrov27

« Reply #544 on: November 19, 2014, 06:38:19 AM »
Yes, it would be .....rather large, but what a project!

Felixstowe in 1/32 would be a 35" wingspan, 6" more than the Gotha - it would be incredible. Such great schemes for it also with all of the stripes and such on the fuselage. Not sure WNW plan another huge kit but my fingers are crossed that if they do, they consider this aircraft....
-Patrick

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #545 on: November 19, 2014, 07:38:56 AM »
Interesting that in all the pre-H.B. release no one ever mentioned a Felixstowe ...

Felixstowe has come up many times in the past on the bazillion WNW wish-list threads here ;)

(There used to be a Wing Nut Wings News thread here that was basically a wish-list thread, and there have been many others… including this one from time to time :) )

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #546 on: November 19, 2014, 08:15:21 AM »
Bo, the Wingnuts News topic is still active, it has just moved down the list a bit because of inactivity, here is the link;  http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=492.0

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #547 on: November 19, 2014, 08:43:29 AM »
The Felixstowe is for me the perfect combination of interests all contained within one aesthetic: one part sailing ship and one part aircraft.
Honor Necessity

mike in calif

« Reply #548 on: November 19, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »
...and built like a tank, and with racing stripes- go figure.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #549 on: November 19, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »
And in case they take any note of numbers, here's another Felixstowe fan post.
If we were so fortunate as to be offered this, I absolutely would shell out for it (my guess, somewhere short of but hopefully not reaching, $200), and it wouldn't stay in my stash for long. Have I room for it? Somehow, I would find it!
I'd also stump up for a display case - I couldn't bear the thought of all the dust. All sorts of great dioramas come to mind. I reckon we'd need major supplies of silicone sealant ;)
So... there is that theory, isn't there, that types which appear in box art backgrounds have a good chance of appearing in plastic some time later...

Cheers
Mark

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #550 on: November 19, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »
I think that "theory" is really just wishful thinking. The releases as they have come haven't borne it out in any way, have they? If true you would expect we would have a SPAD 7 (appears twice), Dr.I (ditto) Be2c... Etc. No box art precedent for DFW, Roland, DH9, W.12 etc etc

Offline zavod44

« Reply #551 on: November 20, 2014, 12:08:09 AM »
Everyone used to say that about the old box art for the DML (Dragon) tank kits in the 90's and it never really worked out that way.  People use to say they previewed their next releases in the background.  Sometimes it worked out, with the tanks eventually everything got released...again and again and again :^)   

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #552 on: November 20, 2014, 01:10:12 AM »
Too true, Bo and Zavod :)
Fraid just seeing the word 'Felixstowe' somehow presses my wishful thinking button
Being more realistic, in particular about what huge and risky investments these big multi-engine types are, I'm not sure if we can expect any more such kits after the AEG arrives, except maybe a Gotha G.V.
And on that bleak note... But still happy that we're getting any of these wonderful kits at all

Mark

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #553 on: November 20, 2014, 02:14:18 AM »

Being more realistic, in particular about what huge and risky investments these big multi-engine types are, I'm not sure if we can expect any more such kits after the AEG arrives, except maybe a Gotha G.V.
And on that bleak note... But still happy that we're getting any of these wonderful kits at all

Mark

I dunno Mark, they've always said what gets kitted is based on what Sir PJ fancies; economics seems to take a back seat. I wouldn't rule out a Felixstowe or an HP 0/400 for that matter; these are icons -- but massive engineering challenges in scale plastic I would think... Now what would be really cool:-- a Riesenflugzeug!

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #554 on: November 20, 2014, 03:15:15 AM »
Time to hold our nerve, I think. The WNW last posting date for the rest of the world is 3 December so we still have some time. Besides, when did they last release something in lovely PC10 or 12? Was it really the 'Ninak' ? Enough of this lozenge frippery (well until the New Year anyway)!

Best wishes
Nigel