Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 428933 times)

Offline petrov27

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #360 on: September 27, 2014, 05:04:38 AM »
Ah well - nicely spotted though Widmerpool....

Sure would like to see one of those de-lux kits though just to see what they are going to contain....
-Patrick

Offline petrov27

« Reply #361 on: September 27, 2014, 05:39:47 AM »

Sure would like to see one of those de-lux kits though just to see what they are going to contain....

Buy a WNW kit, a HGW detail set & some Pheon decals, and you're there....

Yep - but I am still interested to see whats in the box :)

A giant sheet of photoetched replacement parts does not really thrill me, nor am I much desiring the figures, and as you say Pheon and others are producing markings; I am really wondering if WNW will even do the delux kits at this point?

When announced they sounded like a good idea, but with so much available aftermarket I am not sure the demand is there if the kit cost goes way up? But who knows, maybe there will be some totally amazing add-ons included in these kits and they will be must-buys? I can't imagine what though - maybe flat rigging wires for the RFC subjects that are not horribly difficult to install?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:38:43 AM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #362 on: September 27, 2014, 06:25:50 AM »
There have been very few Jasta 5 schemes. I am sure they will blitz that when the deluxe versions come out. Especially Flashars' Mailed Fist Albatros which is quite iconic
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #363 on: September 27, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »

Buy a WNW kit, a HGW detail set & some Pheon decals, and you're there....

Yep - but I am still interested to see whats in the box :)

A giant sheet of photoetched replacement parts does not really thrill me, nor am I much desiring the figures, and as you say Pheon and others are producing markings; I am really wondering if WNW will even do the delux kits at this point?

When announced they sounded like a good idea, but with so much available aftermarket I am not sure the demand is there if the kit cost goes way up? But who knows, maybe there will be some totally amazing add-ons included in these kits and they will be must-buys? I can't imagine what though - maybe flat rigging wires for the RFC subjects that are not horribly difficult to install?

Personally I like the idea of the figures being included and those that do not paint them could probably make their money back or close to it selling them to figure painters, well maybe  8) As for that RAF wire I have often wondered that if Nylon can be shaped in a round manner for fishing line why not flat or airfoil shaped? Too costly for what market their would be? I wonder if airfoil shaped would be more aerodynamic for casting  :o Now about speculation, I am going nback to my predictions for last holiday season. It is about time for the AEG to show up. The Camel surely must be progressing, and I still believe they will finish the Sopwith Family.  In particular the Strutter and Dolphin. Lastly High on my Probability list is the Fokker EV/DVII and yes, a DR1. I hope you enjoy my NON PSYCHIC guesses.
RAGIII

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:29:17 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
I suspect a new issue of the Sopwith Triplane too. In the latest Windsock Ray said that "a rather famous British Naval Fighter" is due for a 2015 Datafile release (a revisit/new version of an older datafile). Would be good timing.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline Derrick

« Reply #365 on: September 28, 2014, 09:02:47 AM »
I hope you are right about the Dolphin. I had just received the book by Cross and Cockade. I also hope that they will bring out a kit of the Fokker EV/DVIII, having been outbid on an Avis kit that was on Ebay. I think it would be a good kit to get people into building WWI aircraft with very little rigging and the lozenge might be easier to deal with. Having failed to get the Fokker, I did win bids on a Billy Bishop Nieuport and the Sopwith Camel with Capt Brown decals. I am trying to get a Spad XIII and will probably get the Roden Spad VII as well. Speaking of Spads, can anyone tell me if the Albatros book, "Italian Spads At War"  has detail drawings/pictures of the cockpits and other details even though I plan on making both mine French. It appears they no longer have a book on the Spad VII and I am not seeing any books on amazon containing details about these 2 aircraft other than the Osprey books.

Since we are talking about new kits, has anyone heard anything about the Special Hobby Albatros III? With Roden apparently not making anymore WWI kits, they may be our best bet to get more kits other than WNW. I am awaiting on a MS type N from them so will be curious how they compare in person with the WNW kits.

Personally I like the idea of the figures being included and those that do not paint them could probably make their money back or close to it selling them to figure painters, well maybe  8) As for that RAF wire I have often wondered that if Nylon can be shaped in a round manner for fishing line why not flat or airfoil shaped? Too costly for what market their would be? I wonder if airfoil shaped would be more aerodynamic for casting  :o Now about speculation, I am going nback to my predictions for last holiday season. It is about time for the AEG to show up. The Camel surely must be progressing, and I still believe they will finish the Sopwith Family.  In particular the Strutter and Dolphin. Lastly High on my Probability list is the Fokker EV/DVII and yes, a DR1. I hope you enjoy my NON PSYCHIC guesses.
RAGIII

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »
Hi:

I remember reading some where that you could tell what subjects WNW was going to release by looking at their boxart. Well, if that's true both the SE.5a and F.2b both show the planes doing battle against a Dr.1. It seems if two kits show the same plane it would stand reason that they would release one, right? :)

Depending upon what subject the deluxe kits cover I would get them; especially the W.29. They would have to be less than the exorbinant costs on eBay.

Thanx,
Carl
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:28:04 PM by fredjocko »

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #367 on: September 30, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »
I think it depends on the accuracy of your "reading some where" that box art is indicative of future releases. I don't put much faith in that. The artist probably isn't privy to Wingnuts Wings release schedules. Anyway, there are many interesting aircraft that could make the cut, including the Taube, but I'm still hoping for a F.1/Dr.1 kit. I'd certainly buy two right off: Voss and Richtofen. I don't care how "over-kitted" they may be, Wingnuts Wings versions would be the best available and I would dearly love to see those two historic aircraft kitted by them.

Listening, Richard???????
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2014, 12:25:07 PM »
I think it depends on the accuracy of your "reading some where" that box art is indicative of future releases. I don't put much faith in that. The artist probably isn't privy to Wingnuts Wings release schedules. Anyway, there are many interesting aircraft that could make the cut, including the Taube, but I'm still hoping for a F.1/Dr.1 kit. I'd certainly buy two right off: Voss and Richtofen. I don't care how "over-kitted" they may be, Wingnuts Wings versions would be the best available and I would dearly love to see those two historic aircraft kitted by them.

Listening, Richard???????

I agree about the box art. I don't personally think there is any indicator there.  We know that WNW has planned a Camel. What would bee more natural than a Duelist type kit with a Camel in Browns Markings and A DR1 as 425/17  ::) If I recall correctly we knew that an Eindecker series was coming but the DH2 was the surprise. The Duelist kit was released just prior to the individual kits. I know this sounds kinda crazy but it would be a big seller, especially to the fringe WW1 kit builders that only have entered WW1 modeling because of WNW.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »
Yes I am hoping for a surprise double release when the Camel comes out, with a Fokker Dr.I. I reckon it would be a massive success
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Derrick

« Reply #370 on: September 30, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »
I guess my question is there a regularly scheduled release date for WNW kits or is it just something before Christmas ?

Offline gcn

« Reply #371 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:20 PM »
Derrick

(a) No one outside of WNW knows or is willing to spill the beans
(b) Seems to have been a trend, whether it will continue who knows

Half the fun is not knowing and guessing otherwise it would be where's my bloody D.vii every 5 minutes

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #372 on: October 01, 2014, 06:47:45 AM »
The release dates do appear a bit random from year to year, but there are some patterns.  There is typically a release in October or November, a pre-Christmas release and, the last two years at least, a surprise release in December.  Last year the Fokker E.I and E.IV were released on October 22nd, the previously-announced Salmson was released on December 15th and the surprise release was the D.H.9 on December 5th.  In 2012, the surprise release was the Hannover, with the first three Fokker D.VIIs as the announced Christmas release.  The September/October release was the Fokker E.II-III and E.III and the D.H.2, and I think they slipped the Tripehound in there in November as well. 

This year we had the surprise release of the DFW C.Vs in late July, following the surprise release of the Roland C.IIs in April.  This looks like a new pattern, although they probably have me looking for patterns where there are none. ;)  They also managed to slip in reboxings of the Roland D.VI in b form, and the Albatros D.Va in OAW form.  I am not sure what all of this portends for the final three months of 2014, but they will keep us speculating for sure.  Marvelous, isn't it?! ;D

Regards,

Bob 

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #373 on: October 01, 2014, 02:03:40 PM »
It's going the other way for us Kiwis. The kits are now 10% more expensive than they were a couple of months ago :(

I feel your pain, Justin.  It is the same for us Canucks as well. >:(

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #374 on: October 01, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
And us Aussies as well, my last purchase from Wingnuts, the Fokker E.IV sells for $69 US from the Wingnuts site, with the Australian exchange rate plus paypal taking it's exchange rate cut the cost of the kit was $80 Aust, this makes my purchase yesterday of a brand new Wingnuts LVG C.VI for $100 Aust very attractive.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com