Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 425599 times)

Offline Doug Mace

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #300 on: July 19, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »
Lifted from facebook.  ;)

Hmmmmm.....a Camel in the painting......hmmmmm......oh, so easy to speculate....this year????? A little Sopwith tease????? As in Rich Alexander actually did mention a while back that one is coming...... Hmmmmm.....
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #301 on: July 19, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »
They're just recycling a graphic ;)
You are most likely right but.... After the unusual way they announced the last release they put up a photo of the kit saying coming soon.....  ::)
RAGIII

PS: The further info says" Probably the single most important German aircraft of WW1" Now if one goes by the fact that the DFW was the Aircraft which was the most produced, and the fact that we know one is coming that seems to cinch the issue. I actually hope WNW is fooling all of us and yet another secret release of a German aircraft will grace our Stashes soon, An all Red DR1 would be cool. The "Single " most well known German aircraft of the War, recognized by even non WW1 buffs.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:01:03 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #302 on: July 19, 2014, 04:14:47 PM »
Betcha it will be an Early or Late variant of the DFW already pictured, just like they did with the Roland CII recently when they released two versions (they have one more still in the pipeline)
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #303 on: July 19, 2014, 11:33:05 PM »
Betcha it will be an Early or Late variant of the DFW already pictured, just like they did with the Roland CII recently when they released two versions (they have one more still in the pipeline)

VERY Likely! My thoughts are certainly WISHFUL THINKING!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »
holy shite got to have one, or two.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
quick comment: to say a dfw d.v looks just like a rumpler is like saying a be2c looks just like an re8. yes simliar in class and function but distinctly its own animal.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2014, 06:04:04 PM »
You know what Albatros1234-?

You are absolutely correct.  ;)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2014, 03:21:50 AM »
You know what Albatros1234-?

You are absolutely correct.  ;)
Don't feel bad, Dave.  I had the same initial reaction.  Then, while studying the respective Datafiles to determine whether I wanted an early Rumpler or a DFW, I noticed that the Rumpler has a distinctly swept-back wing while the DFW's is straight as a board.  Although the rudders and fins are quite similar, the tail planes are quite different.  Different radiator configurations.  Different colors and schemes.  I'm now considering both.  The only thing holding me back is the size, me still deeply entrenched in the 1/48 realm.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2014, 04:31:54 AM »
Time to switch to the 1/32 scale, Bud  ;)

Servus
Bertl

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
Time to switch to the 1/32 scale, Bud  ;)

Servus
Bertl
Oh, Bertl, if only I could.  I do have 10 WNW kits in my stash and one on the bench, but I have @280 1/48 scale WWI kits waiting to be built.  Space really is an issue and as long as those enormous beasts remain in their boxes, they present no real danger.  However, the WNW LVG is calling to me and she's getting louder every day.  Kinda like a Siren.  So lovely, so tempting, but so ready to devour me if I succumb.  All those details to add to such a large beauty.  It's partially your fault that I find myself in this position, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #310 on: July 21, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
Hi Bud,

I don't feel bad at all, in fact I am highly delighted that WNW have chosen to release another brand new kit.

However I stand by my original comment that it looks too similar to the previously released Rumpler for me to invest in one due to my limited space for display. For that reason I sadly chose not to invest in the massive Gotha, much though I would like to.

Albatros1234 made a valid point that they are two different beasts much like say the Sopwith Camel and Sopwith Snipe.

Superficially though they do look alike.

Maybe he thought I could not tell the difference?

Enjoy your modelling, this is the golden age of WW1 modelling for us.

Best wishes,

Dave in Dubai

[/quote]
Don't feel bad, Dave.  I had the same initial reaction.  Then, while studying the respective Datafiles to determine whether I wanted an early Rumpler or a DFW, I noticed that the Rumpler has a distinctly swept-back wing while the DFW's is straight as a board.  Although the rudders and fins are quite similar, the tail planes are quite different.  Different radiator configurations.  Different colors and schemes.  I'm now considering both.  The only thing holding me back is the size, me still deeply entrenched in the 1/48 realm.
Cheers,
Bud
[/quote]

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #311 on: July 21, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »
Dave, I'm in pretty much the same position as you.  Limited space.  No Gotha for me. :'(  When it comes to the Rumpler vs. DFW, I most likely won't buy both of those, either.  I've got two DFW variants and two Rumpler variants in 1/48 scale so, for me, it comes down to which one of the WNW kits has the coolest looking scheme.  WNW just updated their site and now show the DFW box art and model images.  Based on this model built by Brett Sharman of EnZed, I think I'll be ordering the DFW. http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3112&cat=5
Cool, huh?
Cheers,
Bud

mike in calif

« Reply #312 on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:13 AM »
Having built 1/32 since 197.... well for a long time, I went to a vertical display cabinet. Mine is 27x34x85(inches) and has enough space for a few years of building, which is good as I do 1/16 figures and some armor as well. A mate on another site uses the Ikea 16 inch square glass cabinet, and simply added extra shelves with mini u-bolts. All this to say I think the DFW looks pretty good, and I prolly will find a way to include one in my stash.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #313 on: July 22, 2014, 03:55:06 PM »
i agree justin 100%  i have half the kits wnw released but they are too big to store built in my little apartment. the 1/48s fit so nice on a narrow lttle shelf. and i have just as much fun with 1/48 if not more. what i have learned at least from my perspective in 1/32 equals more detail and more oppurtunity to add extra detail which extends build length and such. then i have a bigger model which only guys on this forum would notice the extra details. i am a tinkerer so i kinda like older kits and short run stuff cuz i have to figure out how to make it work and/or scratch build details. which isnt really harder that its smaller because theres less to see. to me this equals more completed builds.this means i can move on to new stuff. to each his own. everyone has there own preferences and expertise. i hope to finish my wnw fokker d.vii soon as well as a 1/32 roden dr.1 to sit on my wide shelf next to my 1/32 special hobby morane which is one of my all time favorites. still say i will buy a dfw too i already have an early rumpler.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #314 on: July 22, 2014, 11:48:52 PM »
I like the 1/32nd due to my age, (65) and abilities to work with small stuff.  I do think that this sudden trend to do 1/32nd WWI aircraft has had some spillage into the realm of 1/48 and maybe even 1/72.  I notice new after market accessories and doo dads in 1/48 and 1/72nd coming out.  I too like 1/48, but; as mentioned I like the 1/32nd due it's size.  I pretty much do out of the box, save for the rigging and some minor engine detailing.  I am sure a DVW or two will find their way into the stash.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....