Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 429013 times)

Offline Beto

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2014, 07:30:02 PM »
I'd really love to see a Lohner flying boat. Or any other Austrian types. In my opinion many of them have an outrageous "stop that pigeon" look, with those impossible gun turrets for the observer or strange strut arrangements.

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2014, 07:44:23 PM »
I suppose they will get this spring something early war that has not been represented in 1:32 scale - a taube (crossing fingers) for example. Gneerally early war subjects are rare and under represented. They stated many times that they prefer not to produce kits that already have a good anallog in 1:32 but who knows
Best regards,
Sasho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »
Realistically anything Wingnut Wings produces this year could be regarded as commemorating the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WW1, whether it is intended to be a commemorative release or not.

I suspect Wingnuts will continue as they have done before and stick to their own production programme which, when you look at the dates on the sprues of their previous kits, indicates the models are some years in production, so whatever we get this year has probably been in development & production since 2012 or 2013.

As Wingnuts does not disclose its release schedule we can just speculate on what we may get and when. A Be2 would be nice this year, but based on past releases anything new is more likely to be in the latter half/ quarter of the year.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2014, 08:45:46 PM »
it looks good to me that many guys voted for the halberstadt cl.ii and roland c.ii those 2 would get my vote but i dont understand some of the other entries. like phonix d.iii why not d.i or d.ii which had more production more marking options etc. dh-5 seems a bit obscure  imho. no need for an alb d.ii when we have a nice roden d.i/d.ii ,if they do an albie i think an oeffag would be much more desireable. special hobby and a model make nieuport xi and xvi so we dont need that. and imho the jenny just isnt that interesting and wasnt anything more than a trainer and a post war barnstormer. i totally get the breguet,dolphin,be2,hanriot and even the hansa c.1(although special hobby has been threatening one in all 3 scales for 2 years) my whole point is while any ww1 kits wnw put out will be great, i am hoping for something i dont have already built or in the stash craft wise in 1/32. i still say a berg d.i (any series)the oeffag d.iii, a junker cl.i,what about one of the lohner pfeilfliegers? what about some sorta flying boat grigorovich?macchi?lohner?hansa? i dont know i guess i'm the weirdo but i want new and different not multiple kits of the same plane. i guess thats the modelling industry, how many focke wulfe 190s are there? how many spitfire. sorry for the rant.....discuss

Not a rant at all, your views are fair - even though it could be argued that WNW would do a better job of some of those models.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2014, 10:09:41 PM »
Not a rant at all ALBATROS1234! Just an expression of views, some, but not all of which I would share.

I'm happy to accept whatever comes from the folk at WnW, because I trust them and recognise their passion for the period. That said, for reasons which I can't easily rationalise, an Avro 504k would hold no interest for me. One of my votes went for a BE 2, which was clearly a choice of many. The other went to the Nieuport XI, because while there is a Special Hobby version, I want to see what a state of the art model of this beauty would bring.

I share your frustration at yet another Fw 190 etc, but understand the views of those who love them, and the manufacturers, as new modelling technologies and scales beckon. But it can go too far. It's a story I've used before but I get the feeling that if an historian discovered a beer mat in an archive somewhere which showed a pencil scribble of a Tiger tank with an en-suite shower and toilet, then within weeks we'd be seeing a model released, soon to be followed by etched metal offering a choice of western and eastern front toilet paper!

On other things, when at Telford I saw a small stand which showed some early production bits from a 1/48 resin Taube. It looked very nice, but sounded like it could be very expensive. I took the business card of the guy, who is based somewhere in Europe , but have since lost it. Did anyone else see this, or can someone throw light on it?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline petrov27

« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
I agree with ALBATROS1234 about wishing they would keep focus on kits that have not been done before, but I get the impression that WNW has tons of requests with folks just screaming for them to do a Fokker DrI, Camel, even the DVIII even though reasonable kits of those subjects are already available in 1/32.

-Patrick

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2014, 03:20:38 AM »
I think you will be correct petrov27.  Undoubtedly a WNW Dr1 would be a best seller.  For those of us who don't have the other manufacturer's kits in the stash, WNW are always going to have an advantage IMHO.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2014, 03:54:53 AM »
Geez Nigel, the beer mat clearly shows it was a jacuzzi tub NOT a simple shower.

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »
Just imagine for one minute that Tamiya started producing WW1 aircraft kits in 1:32 scale, what a dilemma we would face trying to decide who makes the better kit, Tamiya or Wingnuts, this is a position I would love to be in.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #204 on: January 31, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »
Just imagine for one minute that Tamiya started producing WW1 aircraft kits in 1:32 scale, what a dilemma we would face trying to decide who makes the better kit, Tamiya or Wingnuts, this is a position I would love to be in.

Des.

Now that sounds sort of heavenly, Des.  One can only hope.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
i cant see tamiya putting in the research that wnw who have a passion for the subject put in. just because their plastic and molding technology are cutting edge doesnt mean the accuracy would be there. but hey if they do i'm sure i would get one to check it out. i am not a huge fan of tamiya in general, but then again most of the models they have for sale today are 20 years old plus. they put out a few new molds per year but they are still raking in cash from their old molds most of which are no where near cutting edge. some of their stuff is the only game in town like the schwimmwagen. to me it would be more likely hasegawa would think of doing ww1 subjects as tamiya are mainly an armor company in my opinion not to say they havent done a bunch of planes. hasegawa seem to be more aircraft oriented.

back to the original topic, of course i would buy a wnw dr.1 it would be super sweet and would fall together like a dream when you shake the box into a perfect dr.1. i am just saying i would rather them not do the dr.1 until later on and concentrate on planes we have no kit for rather than making half my stash of roden and special hobby kits worthless. i have 4 1/32dr.1 kits unbuilt 2 encore and 2 roden. if one puts in the extra time to add a few missing or incorrect details and add some archer resin imbedded rib tapes i would think it would be almost impossible to tell a wnw from a roden dr.1. just saying why not something new,to me this is more important. if the roden kits didnt exist or were the quality of battle axe i would say do it,do it now. i'm glad some of you at least understand where i am coming from.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
also i am kinda worried, this year i think they had to recieve less than usual sales. in recent years the releases were more exctiting and desireable imho of course. this year we got the salmson, unfortunately for wnw right after gaspatchs release. i got the gaspatch one. the problem is the salmsons all look the same,like a spad xiii they have the french standard 5 color camo, only the squadron markings change for the most part,japanese version excluded. then the released the fokker e.i and e.iv, which i am tempted to get an e.iv but who needs an e.i when you already have an e.ii/e.iii. finally we got the dh-9. to me the best release of all this season, and i will be getting one of those,especially since i never liked the boxy dh-9a and didnt buy one. i fear guys that already have the 9a wont necessarilly be lining up to get a dh-9. so to my thoughts wnw broke even if they were lucky this season. they need a big seller next year like the camel (which to me we do need much more than a dr.1) or a dr.1 to make that slam of money next year. again these are only my opinions.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »
Did the DVII come out in 2013 for WNW? I was thinking it did? If so, I would imagine that would have made 2013 a big year for WNW?

Yeah - agreed that if the sales from a DrI or Camel means we get something more rare or at least not as mainstream appealing I am all for WNW cranking one out...
-Patrick

mike in calif

« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »
All fair points to be sure, but I'd like to see the wee Junkers D-1.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2014, 02:25:26 AM »
Did the DVII come out in 2013 for WNW? I was thinking it did? If so, I would imagine that would have made 2013 a big year for WNW?

Yeah - agreed that if the sales from a DrI or Camel means we get something more rare or at least not as mainstream appealing I am all for WNW cranking one out...

The DVII F came out in March in of 2013, the others were released in November 2012.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....