Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 425719 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1380 on: July 30, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »
Just to give you some idea of how the drop in our Aussie dollar has effected the purchase price of Wingnut kits, these prices do not include the Paypal take which will add a few more dollars to the purchase price.

Se.5a           $69US   - $94AUD
Fokker D.VII $79US   - $108AUD
Junkers J1    $99US   - $135AUD
AEG             $229US - $313AUD
Felixstowe    $269US - $367AUD
Felix/W29     $349US - $477AUD

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #1381 on: July 30, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
Just to give you some idea of how the drop in our Aussie dollar has effected the purchase price of Wingnut kits, these prices do not include the Paypal take which will add a few more dollars to the purchase price.

Se.5a           $69US   - $94AUD
Fokker D.VII $79US   - $108AUD
Junkers J1    $99US   - $135AUD
AEG             $229US - $313AUD
Felixstowe    $269US - $367AUD
Felix/W29     $349US - $477AUD

Des.

The nicer the nice the Higher the price... Compare the new Tamiya 1/32 Mossie at US $285 or the 1/32 Mustang at $218, F4U at $213 and Spit at $172 all PLUS postage.  WNW kits are a bargain

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #1382 on: July 30, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
Just to be clear- concerns re exchange rates and their impact on Wingnuts kit prices are not a criticism of Wingnuts. Many international companies prefer to work in US Dollars but I do sympathise with the Kiwis, dealing with a NZ model company based in Wellington but having to pay in US dollars at an exchange rate that is crippling on the poor Kiwi dollar. Its unfortunate there's no special rate for local modellers.

As for comparable kit prices, the new Tamiya Mosquito is not $US 285 in Australia. Metro Hobbies has it for $A249.99 with free post. The Tamiya F4U is not $US 213. I got mine for $A139.

That said Wingnut kits are exceptional quality and value but a crippling exchange rate means purchases will be of a single kit,. not the various variants they release subjects in now.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1383 on: July 30, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
I agree fully with Dave, the exchange rate price is not at all a criticism of the high quality Wingnut kits, just a bummer that our dollar has taken a nose dive and is restricing my overseas purchases.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #1384 on: July 30, 2015, 05:40:32 PM »
i wonder why the english pound is so strong? england is just a small country and i am puzzled as to what causes this. we do buy alot of jaguars and alcoholic products here but not alot of other english products that i am aware of. the euro has dropped closer to the dollar but still it was always the u.s. dollar on top. i wonder the reasons.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #1385 on: July 30, 2015, 10:30:24 PM »
Just in case there's any mileage left in the current informal wish list poll:

1. SSW D.IV
2. Nieuport 17
3. SPAD XII (though maybe this is one better suited for the likes of Aviattic?)
4. Lohner
5. Morane L

And I'm getting a Camel. To be built in a nice colourful RNAS scheme.

Mark

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #1386 on: July 31, 2015, 05:36:47 AM »
Not 'English' pound please - British. Not 'England' either - Britain or UK.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #1387 on: July 31, 2015, 07:37:33 AM »
Just to be clear- concerns re exchange rates and their impact on Wingnuts kit prices are not a criticism of Wingnuts. Many international companies prefer to work in US Dollars but I do sympathise with the Kiwis, dealing with a NZ model company based in Wellington but having to pay in US dollars at an exchange rate that is crippling on the poor Kiwi dollar. Its unfortunate there's no special rate for local modellers.

As for comparable kit prices, the new Tamiya Mosquito is not $US 285 in Australia. Metro Hobbies has it for $A249.99 with free post. The Tamiya F4U is not $US 213. I got mine for $A139.

That said Wingnut kits are exceptional quality and value but a crippling exchange rate means purchases will be of a single kit,. not the various variants they release subjects in now.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Well, happy to see you are getting a break on those kits!

Just 2 to add to the wish List:

Dolphin
Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline 15badcats

« Reply #1388 on: July 31, 2015, 08:39:14 AM »
Well we know a Camel is coming and there are always 5 different marking schemes anyone care to guess the markings for the five? For me the more colorful the better PC10 is kinda boring I think

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #1389 on: July 31, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »
this is one of many reasons i prefer central powers aircraft 15badcats.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #1391 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:37 PM »
or one will be black with iron crosses.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #1392 on: July 31, 2015, 10:20:34 PM »
Well we know a Camel is coming and there are always 5 different marking schemes anyone care to guess the markings for the five? For me the more colorful the better PC10 is kinda boring I think

I'm guessing four will be basically PC green / brown. One of those will have a white letter on it, another will have a white number on it, a third will have white stripes. The fourth might have a dash of red on the tail (love heart?). The final option will be grey with a white shape on the side.

Funny Indeed! You forgot the Geometric shapes  ::) I have already stated a couple I think "Could Show up". Woollets Camel preferably as it appeared with white blotches on the wings,or conversely with the red/white/blue fin and roundels on the top of the lower wing. Of course Barkers Camel, McKewans red checkered nose and fin, and Breadners red sunburst on the tail and King of Diamonds on the upper surface of the Lower wing. If they do a separate Naval version then there are The Naval 10 striped noses,9 Naval various colored circles and geometric shapes etc.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:12:47 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #1393 on: August 01, 2015, 04:30:21 AM »
They could really go overboard and do the Ruston 1000th Camel, but that seems more up Rowan's baliwick.  I also seem to recall an all-white Camel from somewhere, maybe known as the White Feather?  The US Navy also had a post-war Camel in an interesting naval scheme.  My sources are all at home, so I'll have to check them tonight.  I'm sure this will be fun!

Regards,

Bob

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #1394 on: August 01, 2015, 05:08:26 AM »
Naval Camels give the decal makers more to contemplate.