Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 429659 times)

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1305 on: June 26, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »
Re: Wright Flyer: That's actually a good point, Mike.....I mean, in a sense, this is the most famous single aircraft of all time. And the Bleriot is close behind.

This is all wrong.  Everyone knows that the most  famous single aircraft of all time is Snoopy's doghouse ;D
Honor Necessity

Offline macsporran

« Reply #1306 on: June 27, 2015, 06:06:30 AM »
Hey Nigel, while in Carcassonne, you must go to Limoux and have a bottle of the Cremant in the glorious old square. Fabulous Piano museum there too! Sandy

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #1307 on: June 28, 2015, 01:38:18 AM »
Hey Nigel, while in Carcassonne, you must go to Limoux and have a bottle of the Cremant in the glorious old square. Fabulous Piano museum there too! Sandy

Hi Sandy

We did indeed, but sadly did not get to the piano museum. Back home now to find that the ever reliable Airbrush Company has sent me a new airbrush hose. I was rather hoping that WNW might have surprised us all with the release of a BE2 of some sort or another.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline zavod44

« Reply #1308 on: June 30, 2015, 04:24:43 AM »
Re: Wright Flyer: That's actually a good point, Mike.....I mean, in a sense, this is the most famous single aircraft of all time. And the Bleriot is close behind.

Albie, you make a good point, man. But, I think there's a lot of us new, or returning to the hobby, who only came back to it because of WnW and the fact that there is the option of "shake and bake" and, boom, you have a really fine build, or do what Bertl, Bop and George are doing. I'm not saying the other kits you mentioned aren't that way but, please realize, like a bunch of the gang, I have no experience with those kits...but would like to get information on them.

I look at what Iwik is going through with his great build of the Roden SSW kit; having to fill in exaggerated panel lines and put pegs in the end of struts, and I shudder remembering days of long ago trying to get simple fuselage halves to meet without a visible line. I spent decades doing that sort of thing; sanding off, filling in and re-scribing panel lines, cobbling together pieces to make an engine a bit more realistic, sanding off grapefruit sized "rivets". My time is short and I'd much rather spend it building a really well engineered kit such as those from Wingnuts. If there's extra time, I'd prefer to spend it on the finish or adding a few details.

So, am I spoiled by WnW? Absolutely, guilty as charged. (Ask my wife....it goes far beyond models.)

But I'll tell ya what....if you and the other gents who have more experience with some of these 1/32 kits that were around before WnW would make a list of those that you feel are close to the same standards of engineering and accuracy, man, I would really appreciate it.
Truly.

In fact, I will start a thread asking just that.

Thanks for weighing in.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

I gotta agree, I really don't want to spend most of my very limited precious trying to turn chicken s*%t into chicken salad.  I'm going to take my efforts and pour them into a fantastic kit and end up with a show stopper.  That's personally how I roll, I certainly don't begrudge anyone for doing what they like to do with their hobby.  You want to take the worst kit every and win Gold at a show, god speed, good luck.   

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #1309 on: June 30, 2015, 08:04:13 AM »
i dont consider it turning chicken shit into chicken salad, if i like an aircraft it makes me want to model it. if whats available takes extra work them that means i get more value for my money cuz it takes longer,requires more research and it tests and therefore expands my modelling skills. my goal is to be more like des. and just build whatever and have it look as good as a store bought model. i am not there yet but i am only 46.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #1310 on: June 30, 2015, 08:09:29 AM »
some people feel the opposite way and thats fine to. not everone is in transition, not everyone wants to expand their skillset,some are very content assembling and putting a nice display on the shelf without the hassle of having to solve problems and perfect imperfections. to me thats the fun. thats what sets apart an individual modeller and showcases his abilities ,taking something basic and making it into a work of art. not everyone wants to be an artist, this is all fine as long as the individual enjoys what hes doing and has fun within his/her hobby. i salute each and every modeller on this site,you are my friends and my peers.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #1311 on: June 30, 2015, 10:17:19 AM »
I completely agree, Scott. Very well said. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #1312 on: June 30, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »
   Bravo Scott! Perfectly stated, and as I said elsewhere or earlier, "it all boils down to the fun factor"! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1313 on: June 30, 2015, 12:56:04 PM »
I agree with Scott also. The fun for me is the research, the learning, the problem solving. But I do like taking a nice kit like a WNWs and seeing how far I can push it. They've already done a lot of really good research and their kits are very accurate. I'm not having to fix poorly engineered and badly produced kits. I'm more interested in standing on the shoulders of giants than polishing a turd! ;D

George

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #1314 on: June 30, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
Well delivered, Scott  ;)

Problem solving is the one thing I love about our hobby. Sure, Wingnut kits are magical, but let me stick a pin in your bubble; they ain't perfect! Ask Bo!  ;D

Of all the (few  ::) ) kits I've built over the past 10 years the 1/32 Pfalz DIII by Roden has given me the most satisfaction. Why? Because I had to work at it, spend time thinking about my next move, researching it, and above all the important problem solving needed on more than one occasion to get the job done!

Problematic Von Buckles   ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #1315 on: June 30, 2015, 06:11:53 PM »
Spot on Scott!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #1316 on: June 30, 2015, 09:52:03 PM »
Whaddya think about that....as flat as it is up there on the Canadian plains, there's an echo between here and there....and there....and there....and there......

See what you started? ;) ;D
To get back to speculating, I just noticed on the Wingnuts site "News" that the Camel has
make an appearance...sort of old news, but it seems they are working on it. ::) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline zavod44

« Reply #1317 on: June 30, 2015, 11:26:53 PM »
I 100% agree with Scott as well, I feel like there is some kind of undertone here of people whom are upset with people who build WNW kits.  I applaud all modelers, I am a professional model maker for my living.  I have converted meany horrible kits to something worth while.  I don't feel superior to anyone else for doing so.  All I'm saying is I think it's unfair to consider those who choose to build WNW kits as modelers who choose the easy way out, or someone doesn't add any super detailing.  It's just my observation here that there is some kind of growing discontent with WNW.  Why not build and let build.  Why am I to feel inferior to someone who builds something else?   

Offline zavod44

« Reply #1318 on: July 01, 2015, 02:03:04 AM »
Back to wild speculation....okay....at first the Wright flyer seemed odd, but I have to say I would buy a Wright Flyer.  The question is only the original Wright Flyer, or the Wright Flyer II or III?  For the Wright Flyer I would there be alternate markings for the 1903 flight, then the yellowed fabric of the early 80's before the restoration to it's current state? 

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1319 on: July 01, 2015, 02:37:06 AM »
I 100% agree with Scott as well, I feel like there is some kind of undertone here of people whom are upset with people who build WNW kits.  I applaud all modelers, I am a professional model maker for my living.  I have converted meany horrible kits to something worth while.  I don't feel superior to anyone else for doing so.  All I'm saying is I think it's unfair to consider those who choose to build WNW kits as modelers who choose the easy way out, or someone doesn't add any super detailing.  It's just my observation here that there is some kind of growing discontent with WNW.  Why not build and let build.  Why am I to feel inferior to someone who builds something else?

I'm not sure I agree that there is a "growing discontent with WNW". I just think the point is, although they make very nice kits, they are not the only company in town, and we still need to support the other guys. Also, WNW only make what they want to make, which is perfectly fair and in a relatively short time have created a large selection of kits, but there are large areas that they show no interest in such as French subjects like Nieuports, etc. Roden and other companies make these so we still have options. But WNW has upped the quality bar and that's a good thing in my opinion. It us forcing others to push their game up too.

George