Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 429102 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1290 on: June 19, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
I hope your words will not lead to a disaster, here at our forum, comparable to the one evoked by Sarajewo assassination, Sandy.
But I am totally with you! WNW produce great models but the Entante-Central balance is dramatically uneven in their offer.
Generally, I must say it aloud, the awe for WW1 black-cross hereos and their machines, observed in the web sites devoted to the subject (generally, not only here) is hard to understand for me. But then, I come from that country, which in the ages past suffered so much from our neighbours, all of them, and my view may not be fully impartial...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #1291 on: June 19, 2015, 10:33:19 PM »
i guess being an american who wasnt hardly even involved in the great war and even in ww2 we came late to the party and help push the huns back. but truthfully we were never really done the horrors that germany did to europe. that said to me its just the fact that i like the sleeker lines of the black cross stuff. to me many brit planes look awkward ,gangly and/or just plain ugly and the fact that they are all basically the same color only accentuates this. not only do albatrii,fokkers and pfalzs look more pleasing to the eye(to me) but they are beautifully and creatively decorated as per each aces imagination allowed. i can only distinguish a few allied markings as in general there is not much appeal to my interest. perhaps its the exotic nature?sorry just my take.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #1292 on: June 19, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
To add my two pennies, like Scott, I think we across the pond
have the luxury of looking from the sidelines so to speak, and
appreciate the design of the Central Powers aeroplanes without
the view being clouded by real-life horrors on our doorstep.
  Part deux, Nigel, you are so right!  We need more French
aeroplanes from WnW.  I'm still waiting patiently for a Hanriot Hd1.  :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline James

Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1293 on: June 19, 2015, 11:22:12 PM »
I too, being an American and Jewish, appreciate German aircraft from both World Wars. I also think that British aircraft from World War I are pretty ugly. Nothing like the sleek, beautiful German aircraft from World War I. They are all the same color, maybe a unit marking or two, and that's it. German aircraft on the other hand, were colorful and the pilots could put whatever markings they wanted on their aircraft, aside from the national insignia's and such. That being said, I do like the Fe2.b and the Dh.2 a lot. Cool looking aircraft. I also like a lot of French aircraft as well. I would love to see Wingnut do some French aircraft and Austro-Hungarian aircraft as well. I may be in the minority here, but I'm glad they haven't done a Camel yet, or Dr.I, the World War I equivalent of a Bf-109, Spitfire, or P-51 that have been done to death. I really like the fact that they have done some of the lesser known types. Just my two cents, whatever it's worth.

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1294 on: June 20, 2015, 02:53:38 AM »
I agree that the German planes are definitely sleeker and cooler, like sports cars. But there is something that has really grown on me with the British planes that I didn't really like at first. I like the almost slapped together, ungainly look of the Harry Tates, Brisfits, fE2b, BEs, etc. They have a home made charm like an old soap box derby car, or the rambling, complicated look of an old sailing ship with wood, rope, metal, and canvas.

Just my two cents...

George

Offline Dwaynewilly

« Reply #1295 on: June 20, 2015, 03:33:52 AM »
A WNW SPAD VII or SPAD XIII, Nieuport 11 bebe and a Nieuport 17 and a Breuget XIV would be AWESOME!  Halberstadt Cl.II, Cl.IV and D.I-D.III and how about a Dolphin please?!!!  Hanriot, Aviatik D.I, Hansa-Brandenburg D.I, Phonix D.III or maybe something really cool like a Friedrichshafen G.III and a Handley-Page 0/400!

I think I need to sit down now.

Dwayne

Offline James

Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1296 on: June 20, 2015, 03:35:25 AM »
A WNW SPAD VII or SPAD XIII, Nieuport 11 bebe and a Nieuport 17 would be AWESOME!  Halberstadt Cl.II, Cl.IV and D.I-D.III and how about a Dolphin please?!!!  Hanriot, Aviatik D.I, Hansa-Brandenburg D.I, Phonix D.III or maybe something really cool like a Friedrichshafen G.III and a Handley-Page 0/400!

I think I need to sit down now.

Dwayne

A Friedrichshafen G.III would be a dream come true.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #1297 on: June 20, 2015, 06:21:24 AM »
French types would be nice yes

Steve

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #1298 on: June 20, 2015, 08:42:15 AM »
Nieuport 11 bebe and a Nieuport 17 get my vote.  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #1299 on: June 20, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »
If I start my Hobbycraft 17 I'm sure I could help you with your wish, Bob! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1300 on: June 20, 2015, 12:49:11 PM »
George IV, when discussing ungainly looking British planes do not forget to include the Dh. 9.

Actually, the DH.9 and the DH.9a Ninak are a few that I still haven't warmed up to. To me it looks like the nose of the fuse is too long and boxy.

Like you, Michael, it comes down to subjective aesthetic taste. I don't try to reason it out or justify it, I just go with my gut. But my gut does change and what I find funky and ugly one day will suddenly become appealing. And like Bo, I try not to get too caught up with their intended purpose otherwise I would only model civil aircraft, which I don't find nearly as interesting to look at. In my youth while at art school, I was such a hippie pacifist that I turned down an invite to see the Blue Angles fly because I couldn't get past why they existed! Don't worry, my hippie days are over and I've since seen them many times. :o 8)

George

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #1301 on: June 21, 2015, 12:28:53 AM »
i like the debates here. i must say i am glad to see any ww1 aircraft kit come to market. but i am actually kinda shocked when i here requests for wnw to remake other 1/32 kits that are not bad at all or even nice in some cases. we already have nice nieport 11 and 16, we have an acceptable nieuport 17. we have a nice spad vii in 1/32 and a decent spad xiii. we have a nice fokker dr.1 in 1/32. ok i get that the hobbycraft camels were not super great, but as many a modeller has proven they make up to be very nice models. is it that we are so spoiled by wnw that we want shake and bakes of every very commonly produced ww1 flyer. i cant for the life of me get it. please dont crucify me,this is a forum to voice our opinions, this is my opinion and is a response to posts i have read for the last few years. i dont get it. its like someone else said above this is the same as acadehasetamigawa all putting out p-51,spitfire,me-109 kits left and right. i know theres some guys like me. guys that want something new,different. would i eventually like wnw to make a kit of every single aircraft?sure but i would like to see some kits of craft that have NO other kit in 1/32. to me this is the only thing that makes a lick of sense. sorry for the rant. i just dont get it.

mike in calif

« Reply #1302 on: June 21, 2015, 02:33:59 AM »
I agree with you Albie. We do have some nice kits of Neiuports, and the Roden Dr-I is a pretty nice kit; I've read that the SSW, and Nie. 28 are pretty good as well. Not WNW, but pretty good stand alone kits. WNW is doing the Camel, and I'd figure them for an F.1 and F.2. After that, I'd like to see a Junkers D1, Sopwith Tabloid/Baby, and I think there are some other single engine fighter types out there. If we look at all the planes currently offered, it's quite a line up- some better than others, but that's modeling.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #1303 on: June 21, 2015, 03:13:18 AM »
As I hinted at earlier, what I'm looking to achieve  in my collection - and obviously this rests as no more than an individual's preference - is a representative selection of aircraft from the Great War, balanced across the nations and across the years. In a sense the kit manufacturer is almost an irrelevance. Almost, but not quite since in the scale many have moved towards, 1/32, we have kits of superlative quality from WNW. Insofar as there is any logic in my argument, that would point to hoping that our friends in NZ shifting the focus towards the earlier war years and a broader range of nations for future releases.

I write this while relaxing in the fantastic, sun-drenched villa near Carcassonne we have just arrived at for a week-long holiday with the family.

Best wishes
Nigel

mike in calif

« Reply #1304 on: June 26, 2015, 03:52:13 AM »
I'd like to see WNW do a Wright Flyer.
...and an early Bleriot.