Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 430923 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2580 on: August 09, 2019, 04:23:54 PM »
Voss & Rhys-Davids!  ;D

I think the Dr.1 is a brilliant release... .

Brilliant???? IMHO, I don't think so. Like the Camel, the Dr.1 should have been an obvious Wingnit Wings release a long time ago. Same goes for the SPAD -- when will this obvious (or"brilliant") release see the light of day? The WNW Wings early stated objective of not releasing 1/32 models done well by other manufacturers (Roden and Academy/HobbyCraft/Italeri primarily?) surely must be recognized by WNW as a strategic misstep ... going by presumed great sales (?) of the Camel and the Copper State Models' Nieuports. Wingnut Wings currently blows other manufacturers out of the water/sky ... but Copper State is now a worthy contender.

Gene K

I think you are confusing Wingnut Wings with a market-oriented company. Its strategy is to produce the kits that its sponsor wants and they do not "mis-step" in this regard. That is their strategy and they fulfil it perfectly. The rest of us are just along for the ride.
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2581 on: August 09, 2019, 04:54:08 PM »
As the person who wrote the first detailed feature article about Wingnut Wings, back in March 2010, I'm the one responsible for the line which reported them saying they would not be producing a Sopwith Camel. However it's important to take this line in its historical context.

At that time Wingnuts had been on the market barely one year and they were revolutionising the hobby, as they continue to do 10 years later. Sir Peter Jackson and his team were working to achieve their own vision, not just clone what other model companies were making.

So rather than just churn out Camels and Fokker DR1's, they were pushing for subjects not available at all.

In the feature article Richard Alexander's quote was: “There's a pretty good new tool 1/32 Sopwith Camel already available from Hobbycraft. While I'm not going to completely rule one out in the future it is not currently being considered."

Note the full sentence re the Camels - "While I'm not going to completely rule one out in the future..." . The same approach applied at that time to the excellent Hobbycraft Spad XIIIs. There was a good 1/32 kit available, why double up on it?

Over time of course the Hobbycraft kits went out of production and Wingnut customers cried out for a Camel, so they produced them. Of course a Fokker DR.1 was inevitable and I'm sure in time a Spad will follow, the key here being that nothing has been totally ruled out forever.

And just to show how different things are from 2010 and now, nobody has picked up on this line from my 2010 feature:

"However modellers hoping for Wingnut kits of WW2 subjects such as a 1/32 Lancaster will be disappointed. 

“We are concentrating on WW1 subjects. Personally I feel that the vast majority of WW2 subjects have been covered pretty well in 1/32, ” Richard said."

A lot can change in 10 years guys so just because they said something in 2010 does not mean it was etched in tablets of stone for all time.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2582 on: August 09, 2019, 05:45:49 PM »
Very well said, Dave. All of it! Thanks for this.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #2583 on: August 09, 2019, 07:54:37 PM »
when you look at the number sequence in the WNW list of kits, the FOKKER triplane and the Camels are together at the end of the list.

•   32068 1/32 Fokker F.1 (2020)
•   32069 1/32 Fokker Dr 1 (2020)
•   32070 1/32 Sopwith F.1 Camel "BR.1"
•   32071 1/32 Sopwith F.1 Camel "Le Rhone"
•   32072 1/32 Sopwith F.1 Camel "USAS"
•   32073 1/32 Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin
•   32074 1/32 Sopwith F.1 Camel "Clerget"
•   32075          ?
•   32076 1/32 Sopwith 2F.1 "Ship's Camel"
•   32077          ?
•   32078          ?

It seems the decision to achieve fokker triplane and camels has been taken at the same moment.  Maybe we can imagine a big meeting in the history of WNW company where a big move has been decided       "it's time to do main planes now" !

So I can dream ;)

32075 is for SPAD XIII early, 32077 is for SPAD XIII late and 32078 is for SPAD USAS :)

Offline Gene K

« Reply #2584 on: August 09, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
As the person who wrote the first detailed feature article about Wingnut Wings, back in March 2010, I'm the one responsible for the line which reported them saying they would not be producing a Sopwith Camel.

With all respect, Dave, over the years I've read (in many forums) of the supposed NWN rationale for not producing kits already well done (yes, by that times' standards).  Unlike you, I have had no personal contact with WNW ... except at a few IPMS events. What a great group.

At any rate, it's a great time to be a WWI Modeler, and you and this site are a significant part of my joy!

Thanks.

Gene K
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:20:15 PM by Gene K »

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2585 on: August 10, 2019, 02:02:08 AM »
Dave? can you implement a "like" button? there are SO MANY posts where i don't have anything substantial to add but i wanna click "oh hell yah". this is the house that Des built. it is beautiful. economy of expression would be useful.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #2586 on: August 10, 2019, 03:26:37 AM »
Dave? can you implement a "like" button? there are SO MANY posts where i don't have anything substantial to add but i wanna click "oh hell yah". this is the house that Des built. it is beautiful. economy of expression would be useful.

LIKE👍😁

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2587 on: August 10, 2019, 07:25:31 AM »
Just a quick response to the suggestion of a "like" button on the Forum. As Wingnuts like to say, there are no current plans to do this but we're not ruling anything out (seeing as the thread is about what they said 10 years ago vs what they have now done :)

Our forum software does not provide for a Like button and after the experiences of some other forums that went all state of the art and high tech, the whizzo new look designs actually harmed their appeal to users.

Anyway the forum is there to be a platform for shared discussions and a Like button does nothing to promote discussion. We have a good range of emojis available for a Like response.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gene K

« Reply #2588 on: August 10, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »
As Wingnuts like to say, there are no current plans to do this but we're not ruling anything out (seeing as the thread is about what they said 10 years ago vs what they have now done :)

Ouch!

Gene K

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #2589 on: August 10, 2019, 01:47:37 PM »
Well said Dave
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #2590 on: August 10, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »
when you look at the number sequence in the WNW list of kits, the FOKKER triplane and the Camels are together at the end of the list.

•   32068 1/32 Fokker F.1 (2020)
•   32069 1/32 Fokker Dr 1 (2020)
•   32070 1/32 Sopwith F.1 Camel "BR.1"
•   32071 1/32 Sopwith F.1 Camel "Le Rhone"
•   32072 1/32 Sopwith F.1 Camel "USAS"
•   32073 1/32 Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin
•   32074 1/32 Sopwith F.1 Camel "Clerget"
•   32075          ?
•   32076 1/32 Sopwith 2F.1 "Ship's Camel"
•   32077          ?
•   32078          ?

It seems the decision to achieve fokker triplane and camels has been taken at the same moment.  Maybe we can imagine a big meeting in the history of WNW company where a big move has been decided       "it's time to do main planes now" !

So I can dream ;)

32075 is for SPAD XIII early, 32077 is for SPAD XIII late and 32078 is for SPAD USAS :)

Thanks for your list. I think those SPADs are inevitable now...dreams come true...

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #2591 on: August 10, 2019, 11:12:03 PM »
Yes, in the last few years it's been more obvious that types with a US connection have a good chance of being modelled. It's been quite interesting, finding out what the USAS was equipped with. To be honest, until the Camel releases I had no idea they had flown in US colours. Which makes the lack of a WNW SPAD XIII very surprising. If I associate any type with WWI US aviation, it's the SPAD XIII. And in 1/32 it's nearly disappeared. Soon please!

As for other types, I would think they've at least looked into the Breguet XIV and the Curtiss Jenny. We could also see a Curtiss H.16 or H.12; and didn't the US operate Capronis at one point? Except they'll probably go easy on big machines for a while. Oh, and the DH.4 surely must appear before long.

Mark
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 01:57:13 AM by Bluesfan »

guitarlute101

« Reply #2592 on: August 10, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »
I expect we can see the Albatros D.I., D.II and D.III from them now.

Mark

Offline aliluke

« Reply #2593 on: August 11, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »
I'm wondering (and hoping) when WNW might stray into the "Golden Age" of the inter-war years and the racers like Schneider Trophy, Thompson Trophy and Bendix. Nick Moore  - one of their product designers - has a passion for these and very few other manufacturers do them. There is William Bros but they aren't great kits. There some resin ones in 1/32 but they are mightly expensive.

Just a never say never...a Laird Super Solution...a Curtiss RC3...a Supermarine Spitfire...a Macchi - any Macchi

;D
Alistair
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:20:40 AM by aliluke »
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #2594 on: August 14, 2019, 06:46:23 PM »
As mentioned above cross- over US kits including Spad are more likely. Some early Albatros’ likewise:)