Author Topic: Revell 1/28 Fokker DVII  (Read 9316 times)

Offline Epeeman

Revell 1/28 Fokker DVII
« on: August 23, 2013, 02:01:58 AM »
Hello, all -

Not really posted any work on this forum for a while (due to combination of work study and trying to move home) so have decided to get right back in with a build thread of my 28th scale Revell Fokker DVII - please don't laugh!!!  Compared to the great work of others, this is going to be pretty basic work on a fairly basic kit. 

I want this to be a 'fun' build so I intend to build pretty much OOB with the exception of a couple of small alterations.   Considering the age of this kit, basic detail seems pretty reasonable to me.  The only thing I can see that looks odd is the upper wing and fuselage.  Test fitting of these parts has revealed a distinct bow to the top wing and the fuselage looks like it has gained a bit of middle age spread.  I have therefore straightened top wing by cutting small slices in the top section and using hot water from a kettle, straightened by hand.   I just need to tidy up now it has all set.   

I haves roughly cut away small sections of the rear fuselage (top and bottom) with the aim of reducing the girth in this area.  It looks pretty horrible at the moment, but I am confident I will be able to get together and tidy up later in the build.  I have also started to paint inside the fuselage cockpit and engine compartment and hope to finish off this evening when I resume work on it.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline mgunns

Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker DVII
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:46:57 AM »
Hello Dave:

I have a couple of these.  Started one several years ago, but; stopped.  Anyway.  I have always wanted to tackle this again.  It will be fun to see yours come together.  My philosophy is the same, pretty much OOB, maybe tackle the top wing, but other than that, OOB.  Looks like you are making progress.  Are you going to use the kit decals?

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »
If you need some spares I've a mismatch of bits laying around.  ;D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Jacek

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:44:58 AM »
I did SPAD XIII of the same company. I am very curious what will be the Fokker .

Offline michael

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »
good luck with your build Dave  :) looking forward to it

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »
Thanks, gents -

I will probably use the kit decals - did consider painting up my own versions based on either Leonhardt or Lothar V Richtofen but would need underwing lozenge decals for some reason not included in this kit.

Keith - argh! - it's a shame I did not know you had spares - mine was missing the prop boss so filled holed in prop and knocked up boss/bracket from a 72nd scale spitfire wheel filed flat (including holes drilled) and centre nut from a prop all from my spares box.

Richard - thank you - do you have anything now for this kit?

Anyway, have painted interior and have filled the joints in leading edge which now needs to dry.  Some pictures below of where I am up to.

Regards

Dave

PS - please excuse the mess on my 'workbench' (kitchen table!)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:19:09 AM »
Nice work so far Dave, your prop boss mod is very clever. Looking forward to see what you do with this kit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
theres been published in the past directions on how to make the fuselage accurate. i know i have it here somewhere. it shows you exactly what to remove in slivers and wedges more or less. might be online somewhere.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:47:06 PM »
Dave, Nice work so far, your prop boss came out great! Have Fun with this one!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 02:13:37 AM »
  Dave,
Excellent progress to date my old friend. I'm really excited to be following this thread and will be looking forward to more updates.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Zabu

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 07:53:07 AM »
Nice going Epeeman.

I have the Dr.I i this scale from the same company, but... well it's too big for me! :P

I'm enjoying the detail your putting in it.

Cheers

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 08:18:21 AM »
RAGIII/Gregory/Zabu - thank you!

The upper wing has now been tidied up.  In addition, have now completed the cockpit as shown.   The seat belts are a molded detail which I was more than happy to use - I really hate having to make them up from scratch! 

So far, so good - the standard of fit has been superb.  Kit is virtually falling together.   Considering the age of the kit, this is quite a feat.  Molding is crisp with no flash to the parts.   Let's hope the rest of the kit goes together as well.

More updates to follow in due course.

Regards

Dave

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 08:27:11 AM »
She is coming together very nicely Dave, the cockpit looks excellent and the work you did on the wing has certainly paid off, looking forward to more updates, BTW, what age is the kit?

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
Thanks, Des - appreciate your support on this build.

As regards age of kit, there is a date inside fuselage of 1995 but I understand this relates to Revell's last re-release of it.   I think I am right in saying original kit dates back to the late 50's/early 60's.

Regards

Dave

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
I love it. Fun build of an old school kit. I built the other Revell 1/28 WWI subjects when I was a kid -- at least the other ones I know about -- Fokker Dr.1, SPAD XIII and Camel, but somehow never this one...