Author Topic: Revell 1/28 Fokker DVII  (Read 9468 times)

Offline Epeeman

Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker DVII
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 04:24:34 AM »
Thanks, gents -

Appreciated.

Lance - no, not sure age of kit I just assumed it dates with other three in the range.  It does makes sense being later as this particular kit is nicely molded with sharp detail and no flash to the parts.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 04:53:24 AM »
Dave,
    Just curious as I had all three of the originals (DR1, SPAD, and Camel) and hoped (Long time ago!) to see more released........................never did until about 10-15 years ago when I noticed the DVII in one of the old Model Magazines. That was when I was modelling WWI mostly in 1:72 and started toying with 1:48 Scale. Amazing how this Hobby has progressed........... :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 06:03:15 AM »
All,

This model is flying together (a pretty good kit actually) so I apologise if I becoming a bore - not my intention!

Anyway, have now tidied up fuselage and tailplane.   Installed tailplane and support struts resulting in a good fit in this area.  Fitted the lower wing as well.   I think I could probably have reduced width (fuselage) further, but overall I am pleased with the result.  Assembled the MG's adding a knocked up butt pads for them.  Because these parts are hollow, decided to attempt drilling out the outer jackets to try and improve the detail a bit.  I managed to do this but it has not come out that tidy - oh well, live and learn.  These may look better when painted up.

Regards

Dave

Offline David

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 07:38:59 AM »
Hi Dave,

It's looking great so far!  I have this kit too, and it is a very impressive kit, but I have been made aware that there are some inaccuracies.  Is there a thread, a build log or a similar account which identifies the problems, and offers solutions, or did you work it all out for yourself?  I have never extensively modified a kit, since the very reason we buy kits is that we expect them to be correct and ready to build!  I have scratch built aeroplanes in larger scales but the modification of kits and scratch building displayed on excellent sites such as this one are absolutely astounding!  It's only because of sites like this one that I have become aware of the fact that some kits need quite extensive modification, and that so many modellers build parts and even entire aeroplane models from scratch!

Regards,

David.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 03:33:09 AM »
Hello Dave:

Just checking in to see your build.  You are making good progress.  The cockpit, engine and the guns all look great.   I like your approach of building it, not getting to wrapped around the axle over minutiae.  I am looking forward to seeing you wrap it up and your comments. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 07:45:11 AM »
Looking Terrific! I am eagerly awaiting the next update!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »
David, Mark, RAGIII - thank you - really pleased you boys are along for the ride!

Right, OK - next update.

Fitted front cabane struts and decided to make sure the top wing was nicely aligned.   This was a real headache.   Try as I might, I could not get a good alignment between upper and lower wing.  I then tried to align by dry fitting the interplane struts which helped to an extent.  Long story short, ended up having to slightly shorten the cabane struts.  In addition, I have had to play around with the upper wing again resulting in having to drill a new hole for the struts on starboard side.  This was to get the wing parallel with the lower one.  All this has taken two nights to achieve.  I just hope that it will all fit together when required although I have a gut feeling I may have another battle at this stage ...............  We'll see.

Having a good think on this, I speculate that the problem has arisen by my straightening of the upper wing.  At the beginning, I said the upper wing (straight from box) has a bow upwards at the centre.  Straightening the wing must have lowered wing height at this point meaning the kit cabanes were now too tall.

In between lots of cursing and swearing, decided to knock up the MG flash guard thingies that sit atop the motor.  I achieved this by cutting some sprue (straight ones), filing out flat and then filing in a narrow groove down the centre creating the 'rail'.  Cut into two sections using trial and error measurements on the motor to get right length.  I then used smaller sprue (filed flat) to join the two rails.  Fitted in and painted up as shown.  The only other detailing up is to create the empty cartridge case shutes for the MG's when fitted.

Next, over to the paint shop.

Regards

Dave

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »
A little splash of colour now .................

Painted the fuselage and then applied the decals.  I decided to paint in the white stripe on the nose (kit does provide decal) as I doubted I could get the decal to conform around/over the molded louvres on the cowling.   A wise move as it turned out.  Kit decals are OK but quite brittle.  Applying the black/white checker band around the fuselage was tricky - decal decided to break into four sections whilst applying.  Ended up joining like a jigsaw and then painting in the small gaps.

Bud - did consider the Copper State Udet decals but the set shown on their website but does not seem to include the wing lozenge.   Therefore decided to go with the kit supplied decals. 

Next stage will be to install MG's and fin and rudder before moving onto lower wing painting/decaling.

Regards

Dave

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 09:21:12 AM »
She's looking extremely good Dave, you made a great recovery on the checker decal. Good work drilling out the cooling jacket on the MG, and you did a great job on the MG flash rails on top of the engine, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »
Great work, Dave.  Things really take shape when you get some colour
and decals on the model.  Anxious to see your next progress photos.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Zabu

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:14 AM »
Great pait job eppeman. The green and that white band makes it very nice.

Cheers

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 07:07:21 AM »
Dal, :-[ Sorry Dave!

The paint scheme looks terrific!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:09:30 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 07:03:29 AM »
Next update -

After painting fuselage installed MG's and fin/rudder.  Completed rigging on tail using combination of 4lb fishing line and stretched sprue.

Kit supplied lozenge decals are a bit of a challenge.  After painting wing on upper and lower surfaces, went to work on applying the lozenge decals to upper surface.  Decals are thick and very brittle and do not respond well to decal softening solutions.  Took a whole evening just to get these decals on the lower wings and ended up with chipped/cracked areas on leading/trailing edges.   Therefore spent this evening painting in the damaged areas by hand.  Luckily, this has worked well resulting in a good match with decals.   I then applied rid tape decals with no great problems.   Finally, coated all with several coats of clear to seal all in.

Will now start work on painting and decaling upper wing.

Regards

Dave

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »
Dave,
Excellent update! The Lozenge looks good. A little toning down would really enhance the look. JMHO and either way it is a beautiful bird!
RAGIII

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »
Quite a nice job so far on the old bird.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)