Author Topic: A very long build!  (Read 1909 times)

Offline JastaB

A very long build!
« on: September 18, 2013, 02:25:17 AM »
It has been two years ago I started this build. Work and life did not allow to much progress to be made on the model itself, but it was never too far from my thoughts.
During that time I while looking through the WNW's collection of photographs I came across a picture of a Jasta 17 Albatros that really captured my interest.
To make a very long story short; I was fascinated with the checkerboard fuselage band and a shield beneath the cockpit.
But what could the colors be? The shield beneath cockpit the looked like a family coat of arms or in German a "Wappen". I surmised  that if I could match a name to the Wappen I could fine out who the pilot was, and what the colors of the Wappen and also the colors of the checkers.
I assembled a list of squadron pilots and started tracking down the Wappen of each surname. I found that the Wappen matched that of the Esebeck family! Rudolf Esebeck was the Jasta comander from October4 1917 to May 27 1918 when he was killed in action.
Recently I was able to get some painting done.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:38:02 AM by JastaB »

mike in calif

Re: A very long build!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:26 AM »
Nice, and a little bit of research adds a bit of history. Going to be good looking when complete.

Offline JastaB

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:24:58 AM »
Thanks Mike,
It should be a good looker. I wish I had a clue how the wings we covered....  lozenge or three color painted camo

Offline Zabu

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 05:36:37 AM »
The scheme it's great and the checkerboard painting it's very eye catchy.

It will be a beauty when finished.

Cheers

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:16:37 AM »
Sharp markings, Jasta. 8)  You are heading for a very attractive model
when done.  I look forward to more updates as you go along.  Very nice
work!

Best Regards,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »
As I said elsewhere, Tim, she's stunning!  I tried, with no luck, to find out for you how the wings were finished.  Do you know the serial number of this aircraft?  If so, the date of manufacture might give you a clue.  If not, Osprey will be releasing a book on Jasta 17 on November 19.  If you continue at this pace, maybe it will be out in time to be of some assistance. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
As I said elsewhere, Tim, she's stunning!  I tried, with no luck, to find out for you how the wings were finished.  Do you know the serial number of this aircraft?  If so, the date of manufacture might give you a clue.  If not, Osprey will be releasing a book on Jasta 17 on November 19.  If you continue at this pace, maybe it will be out in time to be of some assistance. ;)
Cheers,
Bud

I agree 100% with what Bud said about your research into this one. Should be an interesting and delightful build to watch!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »
Very cool, JastaB.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »
Nice work JastaB and informative too. I look forward to future postings.

Best wishes
Nigel