Author Topic: Royal Aircraft Factory FE 2b conversion 1/72 scale  (Read 9195 times)

Offline lone modeller

Royal Aircraft Factory FE 2b conversion 1/72 scale
« on: August 20, 2013, 06:02:39 AM »
Evening All,

I am in a bit of a quandry as I have not posted any builds on this site before and am therefore not sure whether this is the right place for this one which is a conversion, not a  scratch build. I intend to use several parts from an existing kit but will be making some of my own and the finished model will bear no resemblance to the original kit (I hope). I am therefore hoping that this is the correct place for this thread. I have posted pictures of previous pusher conversions on this site and although I am posting a thread on this build on another website, I thought that you ladies and gentlemen might also be interested in this rather rarified region of modelling. This model will be in God's Own Scale as nobody seems to want to make one as an injection kit in this size, although I am very aware that an excellent kit is available from WNW - but I lack both the finances and the space for one of that size. Anyway I think that building your own is more fun and a greater challenge. The one tool that is indispensable to me but which I never mention is my eye loupe - without it I simply could not continue modelling. Anyway here goes.

I am sure that I do not need to say too much about the FE 2b - it was a design from the Royal Aircraft Factory, Farnborough which first flew in early 1915 and was a response to a War Office requirement for a gun carrier and general purpose machine. It was powered by a 120 hp Beardmore engine (a copy of a German Merceedes) and adopted a pusher layout because there were no interruptor gears available at the time. Delays in getting machines into production meant that RFC squadrons did not receive any machines until late 1915 and not until 1916 did the type come into service in any numbers. Initially pilots flew it defensively but soon learned that it was superior to the Fokker and Pfalz monoplanes which were causing the "Fokker Scourge" and when they took the fight to the opposition they rapidly gained and held air superiority. However with the introduction of the Albatross and Halberstadt tractor biplanes in the autumn of 1916 these pusher machines became outclassed although they had to continue in front line service until the spring of 1917 because there were no suitable replacements. They continued to be employed until November 1918 as night bombers. I intend to model an early FE with the oleo undercarriage and nosewheel as this epitomises this particular aircraft for me.

I will use the Airfix DH 4 as a source for some parts: wings, Lewis guns, wheels, propellor and struts, to which I will add plastic card, florists wire and copper wire.

I started with the fuselage nacelle which I moulded from 30thou plastic card, cut out and sanded. I have painted the sides of the interior and now have to get on with the cockpit detail for both the pilot and observer.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:51:59 PM by lone modeller »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Royal Aircraft Factory FE 2b conversion 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
LM,
   I'm pretty certain I'll get a lot of agreement and support in saying, "You bet were interested!" Great idea, and a very nice start with the fuselage nacelle. This is modelling at it's finest, and I look forward to following your project. Lots to be learned in doing so as well.
Cheers,
Lance 8)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »
I am very much looking forward to seeing what you do with this scratch/conversion build, it looks to be a very interesting project. What you have done so far with the nacelle is amazing, and what makes it even more amazing is the fact that it is in 1:72 scale, I am looking forward to seeing more update on this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »
LM, I am always stunned by what can be done in the itsy-bitsy scale!
The fuselage you have done is amazing...beautiful work.  I look forward
to seeing more of the build. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
LM, we're in for a treat here! My clumsy old fingers would never know how to cope.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »
Courageous design, I'll be watching.  :)

Adam.

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:47:47 PM »
Interesting project LM, the nacelle looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

Ian

Offline Zabu

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:43 AM »
Nice one LM.

It takes lot lots of gut and skill to do that in 1/72 scale... and you already shown both around here.

Very nice start from you with that fuselage... i'll be watching your post for sure!

Cheers

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »
Well, well, well. It is going to be a modelling feast. Fee in my favourite scale!!!
My first question, maybe I am not clever enough, but how have you moulded these lovely looking nacelle halves?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »
This is indeed going to be one to watch unfold.

One tiny nit -- in your intro you mentioned the Beardmore 120hp being a copy of the German Mercedes -- actually I believe it was a license built copy of the Austrian Austro-Daimler 6 (as designed by one Ferdinand Porsche). Austro-Daimler and Daimler of Germany/Mercedes-Benz were completely separate concerns. The later Mercedes 6 cylinder inlines (D.II, D.III, Bz.IV) and others were "inspired" by the Austro-Daimler motor, but were not direct copies...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 01:41:34 AM »
Nice, crisp molding of the nacelle, LM.  I'm looking forward to watching this project progress.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 03:47:02 AM »
Hat tip from me too, will be watching with interest; a 72 scale FE2b is high up my personal list of missing kits but I'd be leery of trying to scratch one ;)
Nice nacelle!
Mark

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 04:13:34 AM »
Outstanding start! The tub is perfect!! I am looking forward to your progress on this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 05:25:07 AM »
Well, well, well. It is going to be a modelling feast. Fee in my favourite scale!!!
My first question, maybe I am not clever enough, but how have you moulded these lovely looking nacelle halves?

You do not need to be clever to mould new parts in plastic, and you do not need to go to the expense of a vacuform machine either. The method that I used is variously called push/plunge/crash moulding and there is a good description of the method here:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Making_push_or_plunge_moulds_about37829.html

All of the nacelles on my pushers were made in this way because of the curvature of the parts. This method can also be used to make other parts with curved shapes. Be prepared for some wastage as the method sometimes yields pieces which are not quite what you want: I had to mould two port sides for this FE before I could get what I wanted.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 05:56:11 AM »

One tiny nit -- in your intro you mentioned the Beardmore 120hp being a copy of the German Mercedes -- actually I believe it was a license built copy of the Austrian Austro-Daimler 6 (as designed by one Ferdinand Porsche). Austro-Daimler and Daimler of Germany/Mercedes-Benz were completely separate concerns. The later Mercedes 6 cylinder inlines (D.II, D.III, Bz.IV) and others were "inspired" by the Austro-Daimler motor, but were not direct copies...

Thank you Bo for correcting my error: I should have checked my facts before writing (I do have notes but did not look at them beforehand), you are right. I also should have written that one of the main reasons for the delay in getting the aircraft into production and to the squadrons was because of problems building the engines.

Next time I will check my notes carefully before writing.