Author Topic: Royal Aircraft Factory FE 2b conversion 1/72 scale  (Read 9190 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Royal Aircraft Factory FE 2b conversion 1/72 scale
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 07:30:28 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks again for the complimentary remarks - I really appreciate what has been written. It is a relatively new experience for me to show others what I am doing and I have to admit that your supportive comments have helped me to overcome some real fears that my work would not be of a standard that would be respected by such good modellers as comment and present on this site.

Great modelling! It is a build log which may finally tempt me to try my hand in scratch-building a 72nd scale Fee.

Prez I do hope that you give in to your temptation as I am sure that you would produce a stunner of a model.

Ernie - I promise that I will describe my method of painting roundels in more detail in another thread - it is easier than you might think, but you will need an eye loupe or magnifier.

Here is the latest progress report on the Fee - I have put on the top wing, struts and rudder, and undercarriage as the photos show. However as so often happens in life things do not always go according to plan…..

I had made what I thought was a good start: I fixed the four outer wing struts to the lower wing and the lower part of the rudder to the V in the lower boom. All was aligned but not set when I gently lowered the upper wing and boom on to the struts and rudder assembly. This went well as the booms were at the correct angles, so I left the whole to dry out thoroughly overnight.

So far, so good. The unconventional jig system is typical of my method - I work on my desk and use whatever is available to me and generally it works well. The following day I started to measure carefully the wing struts prior to cementing these into place when…. the upper booms separated from the top wing.

The language that followed will not be repeated here because the moderator would not like it, but it went along the lines **££@@¢¢%££ etc. Fortunately as the photo shows, the top wing and rudder stayed in place so I was able to carry out a rapid emergency repair and re-attached the booms to the top wing and rudder. I think that the problem was caused by not having cleaned thoroughly the ends of the boom wires so that the epoxy glue did not hold well enough. In any event the ends of the wires were vigorously rubbed with glass paper before I stuck them back and now the joint is much stronger. Everything was properly aligned from all directions after the booms were re-attached so I was able to proceed with the remaining wing struts, cabane struts and boom struts. The struts were from a DH 4 (found in the spares box) or cut from card and shaped to aerofoil section, those on the booms being held with superglue. Once the struts were in place the whole model became quite strong as can be handled almost like any other. I have found this to be the case with the other pushers that I have made - once the struts are in place they are much stronger than they may look. I also advise only attaching the outer wing struts when putting the top wing into place - the rudder provides a third point of attachment and having so few struts to worry about while getting the alignments true makes life a great deal simpler. If the structure is allowed to dry thoroughly (overnight) the remaining wing and fuselage struts can be glued into place relatively easily as the model will be strong enough to allow some gentle handling without threatening to fall apart (unless the epoxy joint fails!!) Even then the wings stayed in place and the rudder provided the necessary support to recover an awkward situation. The boom strut locations were marked directly from the plan before attachment, cut to the exact length and glued in place: much simpler in my view that constructing boom sub-assemblies beforehand and then trying to make them fit to the wings and rudder. I spent a great deal of time thinking about this method before I attempted my first pusher conversion/scratch-build, and this is my fourth attempt. This method has worked well for me and I intend to go on using it with future projects.

The undercarriage was next. I wanted to build an early model of the Fee with the oleo undercarriage and nose wheel which was so characteristic of many of the Royal Aircraft Factory designs of this period. I had already cut small notches for the struts in the nacelle so I cut the undercarriage legs from card and shaped them to aerofoil section. Assembly then followed this sequence:
I cut small tabs on the ends of the legs to fit the notches;
I glued the main undercarriage legs to the nacelle and fixed the axle which was made from wire for strength;
I glued the forward legs to the nacelle;

I then added the streamlined fairing to the front legs - this had been carved from card;

This sub-assembly was allowed to dry for a short time to give it some rigidity but still allow a little flexibility if needed. I glued the auxiliary legs to form a V between the main legs, and then the arms to the axle;
I put in the three rods between the fairing and rear legs: the middle one in first followed by the two on the sides;

The whole unit was allowed to dry out thoroughly.

The nose wheel will be made from a disc of 20 thou card and the yoke from a piece of 10 thou card with a slot cut into it, and the main wheels will be taken from a DH 4 or other suitable source in the spares box.

The next stage will be to add a generator under the cockpits, a step for the pilot and observer, tail skid, control horns and paint the undercarriage before starting the rigging.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:42:16 PM by lone modeller »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2013, 07:58:49 AM »
You have accomlished some brilliant work here LM, your recovery from the stray tail boom was well done and the work you are doing on the undercarriage is excellent. Biplanes are pretty flimsy before the rigging is fixed but then everything becomes a solid unit. Looking forward to seeing your next update.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Zabu

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »
Very nice update from you LM.

Thank you again for the explanation in how to get those tail booms correctly done. Great job in getting them again in place and in the undercarriage it's very nicely achieved.

The Fee it's taking it's shape... and it looks fine from where i'm standing!

Cheers

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »
You really should be commended, LM!  Despite bouts of adversity, you have
prevailed with an amazing model.  It's coming together beautifully!  I am looking
forward to the next updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:04 AM »
Evening All,

I painted the undercarriage and added the details such as generator, cockpit step, control horns and tail skid.

I started to rig the tail section of the booms first because the horizontal tail unit has to rest on the upper booms and partially conceals the rigging wires.

When this rigging was complete I glued the horizontal tail surface into place with an adjustor bar at the rear. The remainder of the model was then rigged with copper wire. I know that this is too thick for scale thickness but I have not developed a technique yet to use human hair or something thinner.

Finally the wheels, gun pillars and guns, and propellor were glued into place and the model was complete.

Thank you to all who have made such positive comments during this build. As one of rather modest ability I greatly appreciate the encouraging remarks that so many of you have made. This is a model that I have wanted to build since my teenage years, (I will not say exactly how many years that is), so it has been rather a long time in the making.

I have posted more pictures in the completed models section.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:53:41 PM by lone modeller »

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2013, 07:19:51 AM »
It was worth the wait! Congratulations, LM, she's one to be proud of.

Lindsay

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2013, 05:19:12 AM »
So impressed!
The FE2b always deserved proper kitting, and WNW has done that now in 1/32; but I agree with you about hankering after it in my teenage years in 1/72.
I guess no major manufacturer is going to put one out now.
'Fraid I simply don't have the skills etc. you've put into this little masterpiece! :)

Mark

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
Geez LM, I thought the 1/32 version was too small!  I don't know how you
managed to pull it off, but you did...brilliantly!  Well done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
LM,
   I just went back through this Thread, what an excellent example of improvisation and talent! I find it hard to believe the results you've achieved in this tiny scale, patience beyond mine for certain! You've produced a "one of a kind" in the scale you prefer, which is what Scratch Building is all about (I think). Very nicely done!
Cheers, 8)
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 02:59:59 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments and support during the build. WNW this is not: but as I have said I have wanted one of these since my teenage years and now I have one at last. It will be one of my collection of RFC pushers which I am gradually building - all of the British designed machines that saw active service or were used as trainers. Only two to go now and all except the DH 2 have to be converted from other kits. It is an interesting little project that is testing my patience and skill - especially the latter.