Author Topic: First trials  (Read 13457 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: First trials
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
You did a great job with the turnbuckles and the rudder bar rigging, believe me, making turnbuckles gets easier and easier the more you make.

I always use Mr Mark Softer under my decals (painted onto the surface where the decal is going to be applied) then pat it dry with a paper tissue, I then hit it with a blast from a hair dryer, this makes the decals really hug the surface, not too much heat though or it could bubble your decal.

To simulate the ''glass'' over the instrument face I use a drop of Futures or a drop of Humbrol Clear Gloss, make sure the instrument is flat on a level surface when applying the clear drop if not the clear could run off to one side, not a good look. 

Your cockpit is looking excellent so far Patrick, looking forward to seeing your next step.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 07:12:28 PM »
I agree with Bo 100% on that.  Speed is your greatest enemy in modeling.  I like to seal my instrument decals with a drop of this:
 http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/TES00003515/product.php?s=4&t=2&u=0
Looks like a glass lens when dry and gives the instruments depth.
Cheers,
Bud

You did a great job with the turnbuckles and the rudder bar rigging, believe me, making turnbuckles gets easier and easier the more you make.

I always use Mr Mark Softer under my decals (painted onto the surface where the decal is going to be applied) then pat it dry with a paper tissue, I then hit it with a blast from a hair dryer, this makes the decals really hug the surface, not too much heat though or it could bubble your decal.

To simulate the ''glass'' over the instrument face I use a drop of Futures or a drop of Humbrol Clear Gloss, make sure the instrument is flat on a level surface when applying the clear drop if not the clear could run off to one side, not a good look. 

Your cockpit is looking excellent so far Patrick, looking forward to seeing your next step.

Des.

Thank you Bud and Des,

As applying the instrument decals is not working till now, I will acquire the materials you indicated. Your material is not send to Europe and the Mr. Mark Softer is out of stock for the moment. So i will put the decals aside for the moment and continue with other things (enough to do!)

Very kind regards

Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 09:01:28 AM »
Hello Patrick:

You are making good progress on this kit.  The seat height looks right, albeit it should sit right under the fuselage.  Also if you look at my build log, there is the fire wall that sits on the incline portion of the interior.  If I remember correctly, I fixed it when I put the fuselage half together to ensure a good fit.  Your patience and effort will reward you with a wonderful model.  While you are waiting for your supplies, you can always put in they rigging eyelets, paint the wings, decal etc.  Like Bo said, let it sit overnight.  Sometimes that is the best route to take, don't rush and if you get frustrated, let it sit overnight, ponder your next step, and viola, all will be well.

Good luck Patrick, it is coming along nicely.  Remember, it is all a learning experience, and the model you are working on now is your best one to date.  ;)

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »

The seat height looks right, albeit it should sit right under the fuselage.  Also if you look at my build log, there is the fire wall that sits on the incline portion of the interior.  If I remember correctly, I fixed it when I put the fuselage half together to ensure a good fit.
Mark

Hello Mark,

Thank you so much. You are all so gentle!
As you can see in the attached pictures, I did a dry test on closing the fuselage and i incorporated the fire wall too. The closing isn't perfect at all at the chair nor at the fire wall. And the fire wall isn't straight at all.

Many kind regards

Patrick

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
Dear All,

A smal update. I closed the fuselage now. As you can see, one instrument decal went airborne long before the plane. Still looking for it. The closing is far from perfect. I had many difficulties closing because the pilot's chair was much to high and I had to file it. Although it is not so good looking I learned a lot and I want to thank everybody who helped me out till now.

Kind regards

Patrick

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 03:34:49 AM »
Looking very good so far, Patrick.  Once she's all closed up, seams all filled and sanded, all previous trials and tribulations will soon be forgotten.  Looking forward to your next update, my friend.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2013, 03:50:32 AM »
Thank you Bud this gives courage again. learned a lot till now and hope this will reflect in the future models.

Many kind regards

Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 05:43:56 AM »
Hello Patrick: 

Once you put the pilot coming on you won't be able to see to much.  If you filed it down the coming will fit fine.  I think you got the fire wall on the inside of the inclined floor, it should be on the outside.  Try just fitting it into the fuselage side without attaching it to the flooring.  You may need to trim it a bit, but try that.  It should be straight up and down, not the angle that you had originally had it at.  Otherwise, it is coming along nicely.

Good Luck

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline xmald

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 06:42:23 AM »
It looks really good to me mate! Keep it up!
Best regards
Filip

Offline mc65

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 06:54:09 AM »
what a nice kite!!

keep on building, it's growing well!

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »
Thank you Mark, Filip and FC65. Very kind of you!

I think you got the fire wall on the inside of the inclined floor, it should be on the outside.  Try just fitting it into the fuselage side without attaching it to the flooring.  You may need to trim it a bit, but try that.  It should be straight up and down, not the angle that you had originally had it at. 
Good Luck

Mark

Mark, indeed it didn't look good, not straight at all. I closed the rest of the fuselage and waited with the firewall. It fits well into the fuselage and I will do as you propose. Thank you!

Very kind regards

Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2013, 04:52:26 AM »
Your work is gaining momentum on this one! Looking really nice now that it is all closed up!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
Thank you RAGIII. The worst is yet to come! I like doing it very much, but still so much to learn

Kind regards

Patrick

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2013, 11:14:55 PM »
I think that is the most important thing - youre enjoying it!! She's looking great and your meeting each new challenge well!!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 07:56:45 AM »
  Patrick,
This thread and your project just keep getting better and better my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"