Author Topic: Gauging interest in a Forum special edition model kit  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Gauging interest in a Forum special edition model kit
« on: August 14, 2023, 09:30:26 AM »
Hello folks
We are exploring a unique opportunity to have a special edition model kit produced for Forum members.

Our friends at Copper State Models are interested in exploring a special edition kit featuring markings exclusive to this edition and only available to Forum members.

As yet no specific subject has been chosen but Copper State’s 1/32 Nieuport Series With markings for a specific ace Is in mind.

Before we take this idea any further we need to know what level of interest there would be among forum members to commit to a special edition kit featuring a specific ace’s markings and possibly some extra 3D printed parts.

We would appreciate members feedback on this unique opportunity. At the moment we're not asking people to commit to purchases but we need an idea of likely sales to determine whether the project is feasible.

This is the first time a modelling forum has become involved in an exclusive edition production process and it is a great opportunity for us to show our confidence in those businesses that support the World War One hobby.

Dave Wilson
Forum owner and Administrator
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

Re: Gauging interest in a Forum special edition model kit
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »
I for one am extremely interested! Do we have any Idea which Ace? French or British? Either way I am in!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Davos522

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 10:11:40 AM »
Count me in, I was going to get a CSM Nieuport anyway and this just makes it a no-brainer. Heck, I'd probably buy two.

Dave V.

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 11:56:44 AM »
Even though I’m pretty much a 1/72 builder, this idea intrigues me. What a great way to support both the forum and Copper State. Count me in for one. 

Offline morane

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 03:54:55 PM »
Hi all
It's a very good idea, but as far as I'm concerned I already have 4 Nieuport CSM in my closet. All would therefore depend on the choice of the ace and the attractiveness of the decoration of his mount.
Morane

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 04:59:00 PM »
I'd love to say yes to this but I wouldn't want to give any false indications to Edgar. I have already built two CSM Nies and have another three in the stash. Next will be Bishop's, Fullard's and/or Hazell's RFC machines and that will likely do me for Nie17s. I haven't yet bought a 21 or 23, so they'd probably be higher in the wants list than another 17. (I do have a Caudron and a Bristol Scout in the stash, so am trying to help keep CSM firing on all cylinders!)

I've got a Model Cellar Bishop figure (but maybe if CSM were including say an Albert Ball figure, with his 'cone de penetration' (Matron!)) that could sway me?

However a project that would not require a 100% new tooling would be a 1/32 Nieuport Triplane (which some of our advanced modellers have already converted from the 17 kit). New wings, decals and a couple of mods would do it.
OK it's not going to be a mass seller, but it wouldn't need too much work and would maybe outsell the 21/23 kits?

Anyway I'd buy a 1/32 CSM Nie Triplane kit (or conversion set) if that's feedback of any use to Edgar.
Sandy

Offline loopyloop

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 06:44:12 PM »
Well if it's to be a N17 then any RN/RFC markings would do me and I would buy a couple. I hope Edgar has a copy of the C and C book on Britisn Nieports the there lies loads of ideas. I'm hoping that any release would offer a number of options.
Count me in anyway. karen

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 07:38:55 PM »
  Hi
As with some others have 4 in the stash already
However would def get a special Ed and encourage anyone else.
Only caveat would not be interested in Bishop, but possibly Ball. Or some other colourful Bird from Belgium, France or Italy
Thanks
Daz
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 07:58:06 PM »
Hi folks

to assist in the discussion here are some thoughts on the forum edition kit Proposal

please bear in mind that no  decisions have been made yet so these are just discussion points.

1.   The subject kit needs to be one with maximum sales potential so we're talking a mainstream kit that is already in production not a new tooling

2.   The forum exclusive aspect has not been decided but I imagine it would include exclusive  markings for a particular aircraft for particular aces aircraft and possibly some 3D printing parts .

3.   No specific ace has been decided on but one that I will suggest is Albert Ball, one of the most famous RFC pilots but a final choice will depend on what information is available to ensure accuracy in the markings.

4.   No decision has yet been made on whether the forum edition kit will feature markings for one pilot or various options, it will come down to the costings and the available markings information.

5.   The more members who indicate an interest in buying this kit, the better the chance we will have to encourage Copper State to issue this special edition Which would encourage kit sales and also strengthen our forums reputation in the hobby industry

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 08:23:30 PM »
Hi Dave,
Much as I think CSM take note of what modelers want, I do wonder about the reasoning behind this.
CSM already sell separate decal sheets for Italian aces and have a range of very good figures.
The CSM range of Nieuport models cover the primary versions and I wouldn't think need that many, if any, additional 3D parts.
If this was exclusive to the forum, the maximum sales would be limited as not everyone would want a Nieuport.
Whether that would be cost effective for CSM is debatable.

If CSM want to try an ace specific model, why go to the expense of a separate kit?
Why not produce decals and if necessary, 3D parts and sell them as an 'ace' update to a standard CSM Nieuport kit.
That way it would be less cost to anyone already with a kit.
Otherwise the standard kit plus add-on could be purchased.

Otherwise we could end up in a Wingnut Wings situation where multiple full kits, such as the Abatros D.Va series, were sold with the same basic model, but just with different decals,

Mike
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 08:31:57 PM by Mike Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 01:41:25 AM »
I would very likely purchase a "forum special" N17 kit, but having several, would actually prefer a "forum special" decal sheet.

Maybe it could be something like a sheet of N.3 N17s?
Guynemer's #2
Dorme's #12 (later aluminum doped N1720)
Guiguet's #8
Duellin's #3
etc...
I know markings for some of these have been in old kits and an old set by Americal Gryphon, but a new comprehensive sheet would be nice.

-Patrick

Offline NigelR

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2023, 02:02:34 AM »
I've been in enforced lurk for quite a while due to not being able to reset my password but I contacted Dave who kindly reset it for me as I wanted to comment on this thread.

Count me in for a for a forum special Nieuport 17, ideally  in colourful markings like Dorme's or Boyau's (with the green serpent/dragon down the sides). I have the Spada decals for these but would prefer to use Cartograf versions on a CSM kit. But anything unique/different would interest me.

Offline Flik63J

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2023, 02:40:24 AM »
Being from near Nottingham, Dave, I would be very interested in a Nieuport with markings and a figure representing the famous Albert Ball. Just my thoughts,

David

Offline gary2seater

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2023, 03:30:57 AM »
I agree that a decal + bits set would get more engagement here as the Nieuports have been on the market for some time.  Personally, I'd buy another full kit if it had unique features.  My suggestion would be a Lafayette Escadrille special, with resin Whiskey and Soda lion cub mascots.  That shouldn't be too hard.  You could even do a double kit or set with Lufbery's Nieuport 21 "L.....Y?" and the usual suspects in Lafayette N.17s, or add the spues and decals for N.17/21 options in a single kit.  My Billy Mitchell SPAD 16 can wait ...

Offline Borsos

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2023, 04:21:04 AM »
I‘d be in here, too!
(and would love to see a Nieuport 21 in Lufbery‘s markings.)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.