Author Topic: Gauging interest in a Forum special edition model kit  (Read 3700 times)

Offline NigelR

Re: Gauging interest in a Forum special edition model kit
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2023, 04:27:09 AM »
I agree that a decal + bits set would get more engagement here as the Nieuports have been on the market for some time.  Personally, I'd buy another full kit if it had unique features.  My suggestion would be a Lafayette Escadrille special, with resin Whiskey and Soda lion cub mascots.  That shouldn't be too hard.  You could even do a double kit or set with Lufbery's Nieuport 21 "L.....Y?" and the usual suspects in Lafayette N.17s, or add the spues and decals for N.17/21 options in a single kit.
That's a good idea - CSM already do a nice Lufbery figure (which I have). I've been trying to find good lion cubs models to go with him, no luck so far. Black Dog do a French mechanic with a single lion cub, but it's not a very good cub IMO.....

Offline Borsos

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2023, 05:05:16 AM »
I agree that a decal + bits set would get more engagement here as the Nieuports have been on the market for some time.  Personally, I'd buy another full kit if it had unique features.  My suggestion would be a Lafayette Escadrille special, with resin Whiskey and Soda lion cub mascots.  That shouldn't be too hard.  You could even do a double kit or set with Lufbery's Nieuport 21 "L.....Y?" and the usual suspects in Lafayette N.17s, or add the spues and decals for N.17/21 options in a single kit.
That's a good idea - CSM already do a nice Lufbery figure (which I have). I've been trying to find good lion cubs models to go with him, no luck so far. Black Dog do a French mechanic with a single lion cub, but it's not a very good cub IMO.....

Sorry if I should disappoint you, but once I did a little research on Lufberry and when he became “daddy” of Whiskey (Soda came later anyway…) and as far as I remember, Escadrille Lafayette left the Verdun region after August 1916, leaving their Nieuports behind (including “L…y!”) and moving to Cappy in the Somme area. There they received SPADs . Before getting to Cappy, the pilots were on leave in Paris, picking up Whiskey in September 1916. So no Raoul Lufbery with little Whiskey in front of a Nieuport 21 marked with “L…y!”, I’m afraid.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2023, 06:18:26 AM »
Count me in for a couple.  Additional decal sets sold separately would be welcomed.

Offline davec

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2023, 06:33:35 AM »
I'd be interested. Would depend a little on subject choice, but I've wanted to build a CSM model.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2023, 06:48:29 AM »
Honestly, I am no fan of Nieuports. I have one Ni17 from CSM built and this would be enough for me. But being a member of this amazing forum community I will get one special edition kit if it is indeed released. Moreover, if there is a group build project after the release I will even build one.  :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2023, 07:25:23 AM »
Sorry if I should disappoint you, but once I did a little research on Lufberry and when he became “daddy” of Whiskey (Soda came later anyway…) and as far as I remember, Escadrille Lafayette left the Verdun region after August 1916, leaving their Nieuports behind (including “L…y!”) and moving to Cappy in the Somme area. There they received SPADs . Before getting to Cappy, the pilots were on leave in Paris, picking up Whiskey in September 1916. So no Raoul Lufbery with little Whiskey in front of a Nieuport 21 marked with “L…y!”, I’m afraid.
Nice research - you made life easier as only one lion cub is needed if Lufbery is presented with a Nieuport!

A Lafayette edition is definitely not a bad idea for a special edition.

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2023, 08:01:04 AM »
A 1/32 Forum special?

I commit to two.

Marcus

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2023, 08:09:01 AM »
No Nieuport for me, thank you.

Offline gary2seater

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2023, 08:43:51 AM »

Andreas

Here's what I have found:  Whiskey was purchased in Paris by Dud Hill, Bill Thaw, Norman Prince, Bert Hall and Kiffin Rockwell for 500 Francs, in September, 1916 as noted (see p. 106, Lafayette Escadrille, Herbert Molloy Mason Jr).  There is a picture of Escadrille members at Norman Prince's funeral holding Whiskey (p.208 The Lafayette Flying Corps, Dennis Gordon).  Prince died 12 October, 1916 when his Nieuport (N.17?) hit suspended telegraph cables and he cartwheeled into the ground (p. 371, Gordon) after a mission wherein he scored his fourth victory, and Lufbery his fifth.  So, Whiskey (as a cub) is appropriate for a Nieuport Lafayette package.  Soda did come later, TBD whether during the SPAD period.   I forgot about the CSM Lufbery/French pilot figure.  Does Edgar still have the molds for this?  That would be a very fine addition.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2023, 11:00:44 AM »
I would quite like to build a CSM Ni.17, and a special boxing would be wonderful. I have minimal knowledge on pilots and units so would bow to the superior knowledge of others on the forum in that regard but I would be attracted to a "name" like Ball.

Including 3D-printed extras would be most welcome, as would things like paint masks. A real package deal would be cool!
Zac in NZ

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2023, 12:51:05 PM »
I would be interested, however, cost would be a factor for me.
As for subject - I'm not fussed. I'll leave that to the more educated forumites ;)
Perhaps something that invokes Des?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline guitarfool

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2023, 05:52:44 PM »
I would be interested. CSM has Nieuport 21 & 23 only in Russian markings (maybe only Russia used them?). A Nieuport 11 or 16 in French ace markings would be welcome!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2023, 06:45:40 PM »
Previous comment got me thinking. From memory, the Nie21 married the 11/16 fuselage with the N17 wings.
I haven't got the CSM N21 kit, but does this not mean that Edgar has a Nie11 fuselage already in production.
Thus the plastic bits for a complete Nie11/16 kit would just need new wings produced, would it not?
If this is the case, I'd suggest a CSM quality Nieuport Bebe would be a winner, for not too much work. (The existing SH is a bit of a dog as is, apparently, the A-Model too.)
Sandy

Offline Monty

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2023, 07:11:04 PM »
I'm definitely in! Ni 17 with ace markings... yummy! Marc

Offline NigelR

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2023, 08:09:42 PM »
Previous comment got me thinking. From memory, the Nie21 married the 11/16 fuselage with the N17 wings.
Unfortunatley not, the 21 was based on the 17 airframe afaik. It used the smaller engine and a similar cowling to the 11.

CSM has an 11/16 in its longer term plans, so fingers crossed it won't be too long before we see it.