Author Topic: 1:32 Amodel Nieuport 16c  (Read 12009 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: 1:32 Amodel Nieuport 16c
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2023, 09:58:05 AM »
Maybe you could try the resin transfer stitching from 'Archer' (AR88004).
IF you can find it as I believe Archer has gone out of business.
Zac in NZ

Offline Davos522

« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2023, 11:57:46 AM »
Andreas, Mike, Warren, and Zac; thanks for the encouragement and ideas, and sorry it took me so long to reply.

Andreas, of course I had to go back and look up your F.E. conversion thread and read the entire thing... what an amazing project. The stitching is a technique that I'll definitely apply to my upcoming D.H.2 build, but I'm afraid I'd have to remove the top decking on the N.16 now to thin down the fuselage walls enough to make it work, and I just don't have the heart to do so!

Mike, thanks for the link to the Archer site (which is still up and running, Zac, but there again so is WnW's... I sent them an inquiry anyway), which gave me the idea to experiment with an applique of my own, using self-adhesive aluminum tape like they use on heating & a/c ducting, embossing the details in from behind with a blunt sewing needle. It actually worked better than I thought it would, but I'll have to refine the technique before it produces anything that's worth sharing.

I spent a large part of last night looking through my library of Nieuport photos, and realized that the actual lacing strips were much different than I thought they were:

... I'd always thought that the dark strip on top was a leather or fabric "lip" that you could turn down to protect the lacing, but the photos I blew up last night clearly showed that it was just a strip of material glued or doped on the ply top decking with eyelets that allowed it to be laced to the studs on the lower, metal strip.

I just love a challenge :)

All best,

Dutch

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2023, 09:31:25 PM »
Well, you have plenty of challenges here!  I'm also interested in seeing what you do with the stitching.
Best of luck!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2023, 07:03:18 AM »
Mike, thanks for the link to the Archer site (which is still up and running, Zac, but there again so is WnW's... I sent them an inquiry anyway),
I hope I'm wrong, good luck!
Zac in NZ

Offline Davos522

« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2023, 12:05:20 AM »
Thanks, Ken and Zac! Still putzing around with different methods of replicating the Nieuport upper deck lacing system, and think this one shows promise:

Mike's idea of an applique led me to try making the upper strip from thin "Nichiban" masking tape painted with Vallejo Red Leather & punched at 1/32" intervals to represent the grommets, and the lower from HVAC aluminum foil tape punched from the back to represent the lacing studs. If I can get it perfected (it's overscale now, compared to the photos in my last post) I'll do a more detailed explanation.

All best,

Dutch
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 12:21:40 AM by Davos522 »

Offline Radarman

« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2023, 04:13:25 AM »
That's a very effective method.
I wish you luck,
                       Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2023, 07:36:04 AM »
IMHO it looks quite nice as is.   

Offline Borsos

« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2023, 05:54:53 PM »
IMHO it looks quite nice as is.

My thoughts, too!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2023, 06:11:07 PM »

Offline NigelR

« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2023, 06:41:02 PM »
Very nice work, I can only agree it looks pretty good right now. Although it may be a bit overscale, it's creating the right impression. Remember that a lot of what we do is overscale but the end result is meant to make the eye "see" a representation of the real thing in miniature.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2023, 08:28:03 AM »
Kevin, Tim, Andreas, Sandy, Nigel, thank you all. And Nigel, it's interesting that in my artwork—I'm a landscape painter—that's very much a concept that I deal with on a daily basis... rather than paint every leaf on a tree, you learn to suggest detail with a few rapid brushstrokes and leave the rest to the viewer's imagination. I guess I need to learn to apply it to my modeling too.

I probably won't be making much progress on the Nieup this week, I finally got sick of working out of a collection of cardboard boxes in the dining room and am setting up a dedicated workbench in a corner of my painting studio/bar/home theatre/son's XBox command center. Film at eleven, as they say on the TV news :-)

Dutch

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2023, 11:52:11 AM »
Another option for adhesive foil is the copper foil used for guitar shielding. It's very thin (2.6 mil) but is copper so would need to be painted. Sold on Amazon and inexpensive.

Steve

Offline Davos522

« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2023, 09:45:22 PM »
Hi Steve, I wonder whether that's the same as the stuff ship modelers use to replicate the copper plating on hulls? I was using it on my scratchbuilt solid-hull HM Schooner Fair Rosamond some years back.

Dutch
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 01:42:03 AM by Davos522 »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2023, 01:53:56 AM »
Sure looks similar.

Steve

Offline Davos522

« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2023, 01:41:34 AM »
Wishing a good and thoughtful Armistice Day to all.

Although my new workspace isn't completely up and running yet, I was having withdrawls from not hacking up the N.16 and broke the bench in last night by doing some cleanup on the wing and ailerons and a rough assembly of the landing gear:

I'm mildly amazed—given the challenges I've been facing with this kit—that I've been able to maintain interest in this project for five and a half months, something which is due in large part to the comments, suggestions, and general feedback I've been getting from everyone here.

So Bedankt, Dziękuję, merci bien, Vielen Dank, and a huge thank you to everyone who's looked in!

Dutch
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 01:50:13 AM by Davos522 »