Author Topic: 1:32 Amodel Nieuport 16c  (Read 11998 times)

Offline Davos522

1:32 Amodel Nieuport 16c
« on: June 26, 2023, 12:50:53 AM »
Hello All

I've always wanted to do a build log, and as this will be the first 1:32 kit I've started since the late 1960s it seems like the perfect excuse to start one. Besides, I'm hoping it might motivate me to actually finish this project.

I ordered the Amodel N.16 kit via EBay from the Plastic Model Store in Kiev, their price was around $37USD with free shipping here to the States. The same night I also ordered a sheet of Aviattic's clear linen effect decals; both arrived after an elapsed time of 17 days. Impressive, especially given conditions in the Ukraine... Artem from the PMStore actually included a hilarious little cartoon brochure explaining why service might have been slow (it wasn't) and the package might have shrapnel holes in it (it didn't).

I was surprised by the quality of the molding, having read some disparaging comments in different places. I've never owned a WnW kitset (missed the boat there during an extended hiatus from modeling) so I’m going by turn-of-the-century Eduard standards... it's a perfect kit for me, since I hack them to bits anyway and scratchbuild a lot of stuff. The Lewis guns (two duplicates are included) and Le Rhônes (2x, 80- and 120hp versions) look like they'd be perfectly usable with a little work, and all the main assemblies match up well against the drawings in the Nieuport Special Datafile. Not surprising, since they’re probably what Amodel worked from when designing the kit.

I didn't expect to get it for another week or so—the tracking info was predicting July 03—so I've been warming up by researching and carving some test Levasseur props (more on which in a day or two) and reading through the N.16 build logs here on the forum. Hoping to do a creditable job… if it comes out 33.3% as good as most of the work I've been seeing around here I'll be happy!

All best,

Dave V.

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:32 Amodel Nieuport 16c
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 02:01:38 AM »
I haven't seen a lot of builds of this kit. I am looking forward to following yours!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 03:39:09 AM »
Great choice.
I woudn't mind seeing a parts layout of this kit: I've built two of the Special Hobby N.11/16s and I wonder how different the A-Model kit is - if at all?
(The SH kits were a bit of a dog, so hopefully these are better.)
Sandy

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 06:20:11 AM »
I‘ll follow with great interest. I also have some A-Model Nieuports and I also don’t think they look bad compared with the Special Hobby kits.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 07:04:01 AM »
Thanks, gentlemen!

Rick: I started the N.11 from the Eduard double Cigones kit a couple of years ago, but really wanted to do a larger version, and thought about either the Amodel or Special Hobby 1:32 kit back then. And just BTW, are you the Rick G. from the WWI List? I was Dave No. 11 or 12, somewhere between Calhoun and Zulis...

Sandy: I've got your Ball SH build log bookmarked, and have been poring over it for the past couple of weeks. And RE: the parts layout, you caught me just in time, I cut the first two parts off the sprues just this morning, so I was still able to get a shot of everything still on the trees (save for the two halves of the N.11 cowl, which explains why they're glued together somewhere in the bottom R). And likewise BTW, I'm sure you won't remember, but we swapped more than one email when you were on the aforementioned WW1MML back in the late '90s and early 2000s. You still living down the street from Morrison's Academy?

Andreas: Vielen Dank! I'm looking forward to trying my hand at 1:32. Except for helping my Number One Son with a Hobbycraft N.17 about 25 years ago I haven't built in that scale since the late 1960s. Wish me luck!

All best,

Dave V.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 01:14:20 AM »
And likewise BTW, I'm sure you won't remember, but we swapped more than one email when you were on the aforementioned WW1MML back in the late '90s and early 2000s. You still living down the street from Morrison's Academy?

Hey Dave, I didn't recognize the moniker, great to 'hear' from you again. Small world isn't it?

I sold the Victorian pile opposite Morrison's Academy (see below) when the offspring all moved out and got married/had babies. In a much more manageable modern house now. I loved the big old family house when it was full of kids but I certainly don't miss the 1850s leaking roofs, windows, drains, oil-fired heating etc!

Thanks for the parts layout - I think this is probably a better kit than the SH one. Looking forward to seeing your results
Cheers Sandy
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 01:19:43 AM by macsporran »

Offline Davos522

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 11:40:00 AM »
Sandy

What a beautiful old place... but having grown up in an 1850 house here in New England, and having moved to another 1850 house seven miles down the road when I got married ten years ago, I know exactly what you mean. I often find myself longing for a place where everything is plumb and level and hasn't been chewed on by mice for the past hundred and fifty years :-P

Dave

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 11:31:22 PM »
!00%! My house is a mere child built in 1910 with horse hair plaster and lath, funky wiring replacement and floors that allow a marble to roll around for 2 minutes. My reply to people saying "Oooo they don't build them like they used to!" is "Thank Gawd for that!" Looking forward to your build.

Steve 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 11:38:37 PM by pepperman42 »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 01:10:10 AM »

Thanks for the Sprue shot.When your image took Me to the Post Images site, I clicked on "Share" went to Hotlinks for Forums,, copied then pasted here. Remove everything outside of the [img] brackets on both ends. IHTH
RAGIII
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 01:16:45 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Davos522

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 01:23:51 AM »
Thanks very much, Rick, I've been trying to look up the difference between the "Thumbnail" and "Hotlink" BBB code, which is kind of sad since twenty years ago I was a lead web designer at GE Plastics. How fallen are the mighty... nowadays the average elementary-school kid knows more about working with the Internet than I do :-P

Dave V

Offline Davos522

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 01:25:16 AM »
And Steve, that's it exactly. Having put in a lot of years as a tradesman (painting, carpentry, and cabinetmaking) I'd love to live in a house where the furnace doesn't look like it came out of the USS San Pueblo... "Stim live... Stim dead!"

I'm having a lot of fun with this build so far, I got some very helpful information from a couple of outside sources RE: props and am going to do a post on my progress so far either tonight or tomorrow.

Dave V.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 01:42:33 AM »
Thanks very much, Rick, I've been trying to look up the difference between the "Thumbnail" and "Hotlink" BBB code, which is kind of sad since twenty years ago I was a lead web designer at GE Plastics. How fallen are the mighty... nowadays the average elementary-school kid knows more about working with the Internet than I do :-P

Dave V

I know what you mean. At 70 My 7 year old Grandson is more tech savvy than Me. So like I said when you go to the comment or reply section just paste and remove the stuff outside of the brackets. Glad I could Help.
RAGIII

Offline Davos522

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 12:23:47 AM »

One of the main reasons I joined this forum was to learn new things… and it appears I'm off to a great start. First of all, I learned that everything I thought I knew about French propellers was wrong, thanks in part to a reply PrezmoL made to a comment of mine on his Caudron build log RE: the fact that they were painted. That sent me back to look at my two dozen or so period photo references on the Levasseur props for the Nieuport 16, including this one, which is from the actual aircraft I'm modeling:

I'd been assuming it was simply a clear-varnished walnut prop (hence the dark finish), but then, researching further, found that the Levasseur props were actually mahogany, as can be clearly seen in this modern photo of one which was sold on the Plane Pieces Ltd (www.aviationart.com) site some time ago:

(photo used by permission)

Searching further, I posted a request for info on a wooden prop forum, and got a pair of answers in short order, one from David, the admin, who's collected antique propellers for years, and a second from Pierre-Michel, a gentleman who's regarded as perhaps the authority on early French propellers. After sorting out a slight misunderstanding about terminology, they agreed on the following: all French props passed by Aéronautique Militaire inspectors after 1915, and before some point in late 1918 were indeed "painted", but, not with paint per se… rather, with shellac containing an iron oxide pigment.

As an artist I've worked with synthetic iron oxide oil paints for about fifty years, all the red "earth" colors produced since the late 19th century contain it—Burnt Sienna, English Red, Indian Red, Venetian Red, and so on. Mixed with shellac it would make a semi-opaque varnish that will conceal the grain, but which might not cover 100% of the laminations… and I'm going to have fun experimenting with it. It would also explain the dark finish on all the Great War photos that I took to be walnut stain, the red-brown would render as near-black on orthochromatic film.

Of course, it basically makes all the test props I've carved over the past three weeks obsolete. I've done four so far, gradually dialing in the distinctive Levasseur shape with the near-straight leading edge and curved back edge: 1) is a blank of solid Honduran mahogany; 2) is a laminated blank of cocobolo (too red); 3) is solid mahogany (or was, until the cat knocked it off the table and I stepped on it, good color and scale grain; 4&5) are solid black walnut (wrong color, and way out-of-scale grain); and 6) is a blank in laminated Macassar ebony, which would have been a dead-ringer for walnut in 1:32, even the grain was in scale. Hellishly difficult stuff to carve, though.

So now we're back to solid mahogany, although I may get some 1/16" mahogany veneer and fool around with that next weekend.

Per ardua ad astra,

Dave V.
(Rick, I hope I posted the photos correctly this time. What's that saying about old dogs...?)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2023, 02:07:39 AM »
The Photos look fine as do your prop ezperiments. I look forward to the final outcome!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2023, 03:16:42 AM »
all French props passed by Aéronautique Militaire inspectors after 1915, and before some point in late 1918 were indeed "painted", but, not with paint per se… rather, with shellac containing an iron oxide pigment.

THAT is very interesting, thanks for sharing this information.

And a great start at carving wooden props! I for myself tend to take some darker and some lighter pieces of veneer and glueing them together. I never was so deep in selecting shades  :)

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.