Author Topic: Airfix 1/72nd :DO17z, He111-P, Ju87B, Blenheim 1F, Eduard Me110 , PLUS!  (Read 8812 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: Airfix 1/72nd scale DO17z: BoB. Also Eduard Me110 Profi in 1/72nd:
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2023, 09:33:10 PM »
Wow, the size comparison between the Do 17 and 110 is surprising to me. I hadn't realised how small the Dornier was. It's starting to look the part already.The new Airfix kits are so well designed and manufactured. A far cry from the kits many of us started the hobby with many years ago. I have a Heinkel 111 in the stash somewhere, it came as part of a BoB boxing of 4 kits I found in a charity shop for peanuts. This thread is inspiring me to dig it out

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2023, 02:18:08 AM »
Wow, the size comparison between the Do 17 and 110 is surprising to me. I hadn't realised how small the Dornier was. It's starting to look the part already.The new Airfix kits are so well designed and manufactured. A far cry from the kits many of us started the hobby with many years ago. I have a Heinkel 111 in the stash somewhere, it came as part of a BoB boxing of 4 kits I found in a charity shop for peanuts. This thread is inspiring me to dig it out

Richie

Thanks Richie. It grew a bit once I added the tail feathers and started on the engine nacelles. That being said it is still quite Petit for a WW2 Bomber  8) Today I hope to finish up the engines and get it ready for painting. I still need to order the canopy masks as I have found I just can't do it on my own in this scale!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2023, 09:25:59 AM »
The engines and Nacelles/ cowlings are now assembled. If you plan to build this kit I found this to be the Most Tricky part of the build as for fit!  Use  Caution and be ready for a Small amount of trimming! I am using the gear door and bomb bay covers intended for the closed up in flight version as masks for the painting process. Once painted I will work on the landing gear and bomb load, then apply the open doors.

RAGIII

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2023, 11:56:22 PM »
Nice progress. Those cowls do look tricky.

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2023, 04:33:31 AM »
Nice progress. Those cowls do look tricky.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I found that I had to alter the construction sequence a bit. I had to separate the cowl halves to get them over the engine assembly and seated properly. I also had to do a small amount of trimming to get the T shaped part to fit on the upper portion. Nothing Major just small adjustments. So Warren and Zac take note  ::)
RAGIII

Offline WD

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2023, 06:11:31 AM »
Thanks Rick!  So noted.

Warren

Offline RichieW

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2023, 07:45:25 AM »
Top work fettling the cowls into a good fit Rick. This is moving along at a cracking pace.

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2023, 08:00:31 AM »
I found that I had to alter the construction sequence a bit. I had to separate the cowl halves to get them over the engine assembly and seated properly. I also had to do a small amount of trimming to get the T shaped part to fit on the upper portion. Nothing Major just small adjustments. So Warren and Zac take note  ::)
Thanks RAGman - this may the year I finally get one so any and all advice will be gratefully received!
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2023, 10:29:41 AM »
Thanks Rick!  So noted.

Warren

It is My pleasure to pave the way!
RAGIII
Top work fettling the cowls into a good fit Rick. This is moving along at a cracking pace.

Richie

Thanks Richie!

RAGIII

I found that I had to alter the construction sequence a bit. I had to separate the cowl halves to get them over the engine assembly and seated properly. I also had to do a small amount of trimming to get the T shaped part to fit on the upper portion. Nothing Major just small adjustments. So Warren and Zac take note  ::)
Thanks RAGman - this may the year I finally get one so any and all advice will be gratefully received!

I would go for it Zac. It really is a Nice kit all around!
RAGIII

Today I spent time applying stencils and some Oil Washes to the Me 110.

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2023, 05:49:03 PM »
Looking great Rick!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2023, 04:46:58 AM »
Great stuff Rick, the washes are working their magic. Lots of tonal variety going on, the decals look like they've behaved themselves well too.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2023, 05:42:17 AM »
Looking great Rick!

Thanks Brad, I appreciate you following along!
RAGIII

Great stuff Rick, the washes are working their magic. Lots of tonal variety going on, the decals look like they've behaved themselves well too.

Richie

Thanks Richie. The oils do make a difference. Next up I plan to do a flat coat. I might do just a Tad More work with oils after that is applied.
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2023, 06:18:11 AM »
Catching up Rick after the holiday break. You have really made excellent progress with both the Dornier and Bf 110. Your 110 is beginning to look like I wanted my models to look when I was a teenager...but I never got anywhere near as good a finish as you. I still struggle with paint even now!

The One True Scale has many advantages and when a modeller is accustomed to working in it can offer many challenges for detailing. However good eyesight is a requirement: I am indeed fortunate to have good eyesight and I expect years of experience also helps.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2023, 07:03:20 AM »
The One True Scale has many advantages and when a modeller is accustomed to working in it can offer many challenges for detailing. However good eyesight is a requirement: I am indeed fortunate to have good eyesight and I expect years of experience also helps.

Then there are those of us who wear a magnifier at the bench the whole time. :)

Looking great Rick.

Warren

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2023, 07:36:05 AM »
Catching up Rick after the holiday break. You have really made excellent progress with both the Dornier and Bf 110. Your 110 is beginning to look like I wanted my models to look when I was a teenager...but I never got anywhere near as good a finish as you. I still struggle with paint even now!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. I think staying within reasonable realms of weathering is one of the Major Challenges, at least for Me.
RAGIII

Then there are those of us who wear a magnifier at the bench the whole time. :)

Looking great Rick.

Warren

Thanks Warren. Today I had a Major Setback with the Do17. I was looking into perhaps attempting My own masking on the canopies. I couldn't find one of the parts in My kit box. A search found the part on the carpet, stepped on and crushed. So now I have to find out how to request another clear sprue, find a vac form replacement, or hope somebody screwed up the kit and has the canopy piece in their spares  >:(

RAGIII