Author Topic: WiP - 1/48 Eduard Fokker Dr.1  (Read 6704 times)

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
WiP - 1/48 Eduard Fokker Dr.1
« on: April 30, 2022, 07:26:30 PM »
Hi all!

I thought I would break this one out into its own thread. I am currently building two Fokker Dr.1's from Eduard in 1/48. The first, I am converting into a 'what if' sea plane - see the thread here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12812.0

The second, I am building as a conventional Dr.1. I have it in mind to build as Kempf's Jasta Boelcke machine; I have always had a 'thing' for this machine ever since I first tried to ham-fistedly build the DML Dr.1 as a teen way back in the 90s (let's just say etch was a brand new thing to me and it didn't end well...!)

The Eduard kit is quite lovely out of the box. Here are some of the progress pics previously posted over in the other thread - at last update, I had completed the interior, engine, and propeller. The cockpit is largely out of the box, with the addition of trigger and throttle cables, the addition of the fuel hand pump, and omission of the Bosch starter that the kit instructions would have you install. The engine and prop are from the kit.

I've recently moved home, and have now re-set up the bench (including with a shiny new cutting matt, unsullied by years of glue and paint spills). So... time to get back into it!

I have now cleaned up all of the major components, as well as removing the incorrect inspection window on the upper wing (i'll re-add one in the proper location a little later).

One of the major issues with the Eduard kit is the undercarriage. Built out of the box, the legs are too long, and the corresponding 'sit' of the model is noticeably "off" - the model sits way too high at the front, and thus the aircraft 'tilts' too far back when on its legs. A while back (~2009), Pheon were including a page with their 1/48 Fokker decals that provided a template for a jig, and instructions on how to best modify the kit for the correct sit. They identify the issue as being effectively two fold; the forward legs are a too long, and the way that Eduard have you build the kit, the rear legs are tricky to seat properly in their slots on the fuselage sides. Pheon recommend the lower wing is cut in half at the spar, the under-fuselage cover piece added to the fuselage, and the gear legs set at the correct angle using the jig, with the wings being able to be 'slotted' back into the gap after the undercarriage is actually installed. Accordingly, I made the requisite jig (with a few additions), cleaned up the undercarriage legs, and added them to the axle wing, letting the glue set the legs at the correct angles.

It now looks like it will definitely sit at the more appropriate angle once done, so I am happy with these adjustments. When it comes time for final construction, i'll follow the Pheon advice and install the lower wing after the undercarriage, middle wing and interplane struts are on.

The observant will also notice I have omitted the kit axle; I'll add one from metal tube later, for strength. I intend on switching the kit wheels out with wheels from the old DML kit, which I think have more definition (good for washes) and just seem to 'look' a bit better to my eye.

So that's where she sits (pardon the pun). Onwards and upwards!

Cheers,

Brad

Bughunter

Re: WiP - 1/48 Eduard Fokker Dr.1
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 09:45:16 PM »
Brad, that looks really nice what you have done so far. You are a very experienced builder!

One comment regarding the intake pipes (as often discussed):
The german rotaries do not use copper pipes, shortage economy and copper do not go together. ;)

http://www.airventure.de/tipps_dayton/USAF_Museum_Oberursel_UR_2_Triebwerk.jpg

Some has copper ones, as the Richthofen engine in museum, but those are captured engines or imported Thulin engines from Sweden. But the engines produced in Oberursel used steel.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 07:15:25 AM »
Your interior work is gorgeous Brad, well done! The landing leg info is very handy - I don't have any immediate plans to build this kit but I've bookmarked it as a reference when I inevitably cave and get one or three!
Zac in NZ

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 08:40:49 AM »
Thanks gents - thanks also Frank for the advice on the engine, I had seen that before but overlooked it (i.e. forgotten) this time - looks like I have some touch ups to do :)

Cheers!

BC

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 10:37:10 AM »
Lovely work in the pit so far Brad

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 11:06:51 PM »
Stellar work so far Brad. Those propellers really look great. Great heads-up on the landing gear problem with this kit (good to know for my future build of the Eduard kit).

I must not pay enough attention to these threads...since Frank’s comment about the non-copper intake pipes was new to me. I stood right next to MvR’s Oberursel at Duxford and took a photo, not even noticing that important detail  ::)

Looking forward to following your builds

Cheers,
Gary

Online RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 11:06:10 PM »
Gorgeous interior work and the props are amazing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 11:52:38 PM »
I am amazed by your work Brad, and that jig... building the jig would take to me the same time you take to build the whole model!!!

Offline WD

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 08:50:11 AM »
Absolutely lovely work Brad.
I had forgotten about the intakes on the engine myself.

WD

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 12:03:44 PM »
Brad

I always regard your work as 1/48 scale works of art! So delicate and amazing. The Dr.1 project is looking terrific too.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 07:15:06 PM »
Thankyou everyone!

I now have some Pheon Fokker Streaked Finish decals, so i'll be trying these for the first time on this project. Anyone have any tips with these?

Cheers,

Brad

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 06:34:33 PM »
Another small bit of progress... she (and her seaplane brother) now has some teeth  ;D 

I replaced the kit Spandaus with those from Gaspatch. These guns are beautiful, and come effectively as a single part (save the muzzles, which are separate). Ammo chutes and padding behind the gun butts are from the kit.

Otherwise, the major components have been cleaned up, soon to be prepped for some paint. The Eduard kit is such that it is best painted before all of the major assemblies come together. Here comes the fun part...!

Cheers!

BC

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 01:03:14 AM »
Great work so far, I like your accurate detailing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Berman

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 02:38:05 AM »
  Note that the framed celluloid panel covering the serial number on the upper wing is too far back and not over the spar. Eduard used the original Windsock drawing as documentation which had this error.

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 07:02:22 AM »
  Note that the framed celluloid panel covering the serial number on the upper wing is too far back and not over the spar. Eduard used the original Windsock drawing as documentation which had this error.

Indeed they did - hence my comments about removing the panel in the first post. I'll rescribe if a bit further forward, over the spar. I did think about getting tricky and detailing inside the panel, but I might stick with the simple option :)

Cheers,

BC