Author Topic: WiP - 1/48 Eduard Fokker Dr.1  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Gene K

Re: WiP - 1/48 Eduard Fokker Dr.1
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2022, 10:47:32 PM »
A while back (~2009), Pheon were including a page with their 1/48 Fokker decals that provided a template for a jig, and instructions on how to best modify the kit for the correct sit.

Brad,

Do you know if this template is still available?

Beautiful build!

Thanks,

Gene K

Offline WD

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2022, 04:23:43 AM »
That looks great!
I tip I may or may not have posted before (hey, aged above 40 now!) is that I used Mr Mark Softer with Aviattic decals. This makes them more brittle and removes the stretchness. They were much more easy to cut and even bend and break after using that on the trailing edges.

jeroen,
          What kind of clear coat did you used underneath before applying Mr. Mark Softer?  (I'm learning more and more about decal setting solutions, and possible incompatible results that can ruin your day.)

Thanks!

WD

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2022, 06:25:17 PM »
That looks great!
I tip I may or may not have posted before (hey, aged above 40 now!) is that I used Mr Mark Softer with Aviattic decals. This makes them more brittle and removes the stretchness. They were much more easy to cut and even bend and break after using that on the trailing edges.

Thanks Jeroen! That's not a bad tip. I've been using Microsol and the decals definitely respond well to this, but they remain stretchy. I don't have any Mr Mark but I might get hold of some and try it on the trailing edges. Thanks for the tip! :)

Brad,

Do you know if this template is still available?

Beautiful build!

Thanks,

Gene K

Thanks Gene! I don't know if you can get hold of the template separately (I don't think so), but if you drop me a PM with your e-mail address I can send you a scan.

Thanks again!

BC

Offline WD

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2022, 02:37:35 AM »
OK, totally missed the "sit" discussion at the beginning of this thread. Do you/y'all think that this is a trait just with the 1/48th Eduard kit or does this extend to their 1/72nd boxing?

WD

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2022, 09:05:26 AM »
Hi everyone - small update just to keep this one moving along... she's now sitting on her legs. I glued the legs on using the jig again:

I think the 'sit' is quite good and more representative of the proper stance than if the legs were left as provided in the box:

Lastly, apologies WD, I didn't answer your question. I don't think the 1/72 kit suffers from the same 'sit' problem as the 1/48 kit. I say this based on build photographs as I have not built the smaller brother myself.

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2022, 04:38:54 AM »
The "Sit" looks perfect Brad! I do have to say that if Memory serves, most of the issue was solved by seating the legs "Properly" in the Axle wing. Opening up the location to allow the legs to fit where they should.  At any rate it does look Fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2022, 06:33:16 PM »
Thanks Rick! Some more progress on a rainy afternoon. So, two thirds of the wings are now on.

I had a couple of problems, probably due to the fact that i'd separated the lower wings. These lower wings have an annoying 'sag' now that I haven't been able to straighten out, even with some trimming of the strut mounts. This probably would not have been a problem had I kept the wing as a single piece... maybe. Perhaps when I mount the top wing this might straighten out a little. I also had some problems with the area around the cockpit coaming, which didn't really want to sit down of its own accord. Oh well, they're on now, for better or worse...   :-\

I also made up a telescopic sight, which was fitted to this machine:

(These photos are great at showing areas that I need to go back and fix... arg! :-\ )

Cheers,

BC

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2022, 07:39:18 AM »
Lovely work Brad! I'd say the sit looks dead-on but admittedly my experience is mostly with 1/1 replicas!
Zac in NZ

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2022, 01:29:27 PM »
Thanks Zac! 

So i've gone back and had a bit of a look at the wings, prompted by the photo taken from ground level, which makes it look like the port lower wing is drooping more than the starboard lower wing... oddly she seems generally reasonably even when it comes to the distance between the middle and bottom wings. Yes it looks like both lower wings have a slight droop but they both seem to droop pretty evenly.

(Apologies for the poor photo - it was done speedily with my phone, with the model placed nose down on my cutting mat).

I wonder then if it's just an optical illusion from the photograph taken at the same level as the model...?  What do you all think?

Cheers,

BC

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2022, 04:45:22 PM »
Not a lot wrong with that Brad.  :)

(Love the colour scheme as well; so much so that I picked up some decals and another DR1 kit so I could make one) 8)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2022, 07:02:42 AM »
The phone photo seems to show a little droop but I'd be content with that. I didn't see it at all in the other photos!

(Love the colour scheme as well; so much so that I picked up some decals and another DR1 kit so I could make one) 8)
I love seeing things like this!
Zac in NZ

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2022, 09:06:50 PM »
I have a Russian model that the wings seem crooked on but then it's an optical Ilyushin. Cutting mat grid says everything is even!!

Steve
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 08:52:11 AM by KiwiZac »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2022, 10:48:50 PM »
Looks good on the Grid Brad!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2022, 05:51:24 AM »
What did you use for the wash around the cowling?

Offline FAf

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2022, 07:06:10 AM »
I have a Russian model that the wings seem crooked on but then it's an optical Ilyushin. Cutting mat grid says everything is even!!

Steve

😆😆😆