Author Topic: WiP - 1/48 Eduard Fokker Dr.1  (Read 6411 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: WiP - 1/48 Eduard Fokker Dr.1
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 06:18:35 PM »
Beautiful results on the interiors and the guns.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 06:44:54 PM »
Hi everyone - some slow but steady progress on the Eduard Fokker.

Initially I was thinking i'd paint this one as Kempf's famous Jasta Boelcke machine (as I have a soft spot for this, thanks to the old DML kit). But... I wanted something with slightly more colour (and no red...!) I have the following print hanging on my wall, from Barry Weekley - it's a lovely painting of some Jasta 19 triplanes in flight:

I've always liked Hans Koerner's machine, Dr.1 503/17, Wk Nr 2130, with the zig-zag fuselage marking:

This machine has been rendered very nicely by Ronny Bar:

It is interesting that this machine when photographed had overpainted crosses; all Jasta 19 machines seemed to have overpainted fuselage crosses (well blended with the original streaked finish) and this one was no exception. Of note, the machine at one point did not have the white wing fields overpainted:

But later, it did:

It also sported a telescopic gunsight, which I'll have to add later on.

This machine is included on the Pheon JG.II decal sheet (and is also included in a weekend edition boxing of this kit, I believe). I decided to go with the version with the unpainted wing fields. I also decided to use the Aviattic Fokker Streaking decals, which would let some pre-shading work show through.

First, I started with some priming followed by some pre-shading:

Next came the white sections of the wings:

Then, I lightly oversprayed the 'overpainted' crosses on the wings, as well as the under surface and upper surface colours (upon which the translucent streaking decals would later sit over):

I then sprayed the straight edged crosses:

Then the tail, cowl, and other bits and bobs:

Next came the Aviattic decals. These went down reasonably nicely. The pre-cut shapes were not quite right and did not quite fit in a number of places. Luckily, I had their other sheet which effectively represents solid sections of 'streaking', so I could tailor some parts here and there. I also tried to make the painting out of the fuselage crosses fairly obvious, using contrasting sections of the decal, but just allowing a hint of the fuselage crosses to poke through, just as in the photographs of Jasta 19 machines:

Next came the pointy arrows and other decals:

Then a few extra additions, a flat coat, a little bit of post shading, and the start of some weathering. And here is where she is at the moment:

The Aviattic decals do show the pre-shading through, but I did have to do a little post shading to get the wing ribs to show through just a little more. I could stand to have them a little more obvious, but I have learned enough times that the art of subtlety is difficult - you're always better served stopping just before you think you have too much :)  These decals are nice to use, but are stretchy, and very difficult to cut once dry (even a sharp knife tends to 'stretch' the decals... arg). Hence I still have some cleaning up to do around wing trailing edges, and so forth. That being said, I do like the representation of streaking; it's not unnaturally even, and does well I think to represent the subtle irregularities of real life hand painting. Decals allow for a cleaner job as well. So, well done Aviattic :)

Likewise, the Pheon decals are very nice, but appear silvered in certain light, even if not in other light, and even with a gloss base. Curious.

So, next is more major construction, and the next round of weathering. But i'll shift my attention back over to my Marine Fokker first, to get it to much the same stage.

As always, feedback, comments, criticisms and tips are welcomed!

Cheers,

BC
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:53:12 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2022, 08:58:22 PM »
Amazing work Brad. I am seriously impressed with this project. I love the subtle weathering too, ideal in this scale.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2022, 10:12:52 PM »
Excellent work, Brad, and a great choice of livery.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 10:23:21 PM »
Very, very impressive, Brad. Totally brilliant work.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2022, 10:45:06 PM »
Very, very impressive, Brad. Totally brilliant work.
Cheers,
Gary

I agree completely! Thanks for so clearly showing your process on the painting/ Pre Shading and Streak Decal use. No one has added using Decals for the Fokker Streaking to the thread in Hints and Tips, " Fokker Streaking: Show us your Method", Hint  ::)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 12:19:21 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2022, 11:28:44 PM »
Incredible work!! Quick question - after you laid down the white background for the wing crosses did you remask and preshade the tapes again?

Steve

Offline Monty

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2022, 01:34:37 AM »
Looking very, very good Brad! I love your colours and the weathering! A lovely colour scheme I must attempt some day!... Regards, Marc

Offline WD

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2022, 01:45:19 AM »
Brad,
       Really, really beautiful work, thanks so much for taking us along so we can watch and learn your process. I was happy to get this set of decals from Aviattic (in 1/72nd though), and, as always, Richard was very for forthcoming with information as to where they did and didn't fit the Eduard 1/72nd kit. Thanks for the heads up about them being stretchy, looks like I'm going to need a sharp scalpel.  :)

A question: were you able to match the light blue return along the bottom of the fuselage with your paint color?  if so, what paint(s) did you use?

Thanks!

WD

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2022, 09:51:18 AM »
Thank you everyone for your kind feedback!

Incredible work!! Quick question - after you laid down the white background for the wing crosses did you remask and preshade the tapes again?

Steve

Hi Steve - I laid the white down so that the pre-shading showed through. I then masked and sprayed the maltese crosses with a slightly darkened version of the white, before masking and spraying the black straight edges crosses. A raw umber wash along the rib helped provide some variation. Unfortunately much of this doesn't show well in the photographs. My camera is now around 17 years old, I really must invest in something less rubbish...!

Brad,
       Really, really beautiful work, thanks so much for taking us along so we can watch and learn your process. I was happy to get this set of decals from Aviattic (in 1/72nd though), and, as always, Richard was very for forthcoming with information as to where they did and didn't fit the Eduard 1/72nd kit. Thanks for the heads up about them being stretchy, looks like I'm going to need a sharp scalpel.  :)

A question: were you able to match the light blue return along the bottom of the fuselage with your paint color?  if so, what paint(s) did you use?

Thanks!

WD

Thanks WD! I cheated a little by masking and spraying the bottom edge of the fuselage in blue, see below (you can just see the blue edge - I didn't paint the edge where the overpainted crosses were going, as the edge would have originally been covered by the white cross field):

The decals were then trimmed (using trial and error, as the pre-cut templates didn't quite fit), to leave the blue exposed along the bottom edge of the fuselage. That being said, I still tried to do some colour matching for the blue. I think the Aviattic decals are slightly too blue, but I actually liked the colour, so I mixed my own version using a roughly 60%-40% mix of Gunze H417 and H45.

Thanks again!

BC

Offline WD

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2022, 09:56:01 AM »
Thanks Brad. I'm of the same opinion as you: quite blue, but I like it!  In any event, I was going to have to search for a new underside blue, saw your efforts, and thought I'd copy you. :) I may try to trim the blue edge away from mine.

Again, beautiful work.

WD

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2022, 03:08:46 AM »
I keep coming back and looking - love this more and more every time! That cowling looks great!!!

Steve

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2022, 04:44:33 AM »
Beautifully done, Brad  ;)

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2022, 06:07:21 PM »
Thanks WD, Steve, and Bob :)

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2022, 07:53:42 PM »
That looks great!
I tip I may or may not have posted before (hey, aged above 40 now!) is that I used Mr Mark Softer with Aviattic decals. This makes them more brittle and removes the stretchness. They were much more easy to cut and even bend and break after using that on the trailing edges.