Author Topic: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP  (Read 19630 times)

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Re: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2012, 07:08:34 AM »
Nice job on the lower half Paddy, keep it going.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Jim52

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »
Paddy,
          That shop wasn't Valley Plaza was it?

Jim

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2012, 11:51:15 AM »
Nice job on the lower half Paddy, keep it going.

Cheers

Pete.

Thanks for that Pete. I'll try not to make a public mess in my nest if I can help it.  ;D

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »
Paddy,
          That shop wasn't Valley Plaza was it?

Jim

That sure sounds familiar and maybe it Jim. If I remember correctly, when I first learned of them, they were in a corner store, not to large and sort of long and narrow. Man, they had some neat stuff. It was quite a trip up there on weekends from the South Bay area. I lived near the San Pedro harbor at the time. I guess technically that's considered the Los Angeles Harbor.

Paddy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:44:45 PM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Online RAGIII

« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »
Looking really good Paddy! Are you using Acrylics? Nice look to the shoes/boots.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2012, 03:05:51 AM »
  Paddy,
Excellent work to date my old friend. Your chosen colors look perfect to me. I'm looking forward to seeing the figure in total and the next update too.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »
Looking really good Paddy! Are you using Acrylics? Nice look to the shoes/boots.
RAGIII

Hi Rick, glad you dropped by and thanks for that. Yes the paints are acrylics, the beginning sub-base color was Tamiya airbrushed on and from there I've been brushing with acrylic Vallejo Model Color.

Paddy

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2012, 08:23:21 AM »
  Paddy,
Excellent work to date my old friend. Your chosen colors look perfect to me. I'm looking forward to seeing the figure in total and the next update too.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Thanks Gregory. I has beginning to think I'd have to put a brown paper bag over those trousers.  ;)

Paddy  :)

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »
First step in assembling the figure was accomplished by pinning the two body parts together with a 1.57mm by 20mm brass pin. Approximately 10mm of the pin was glued into each half of the figure with CA+. Next step will be attaching the right arm in position and then back to painting.

The colour of the pilot’s jacket you see here is the primary base colour which has been brush applied over an airbrushed Tamiya sub-base.

I want to point out an issue that I’m having that I believe is directly associated with the primer I used which was Alclad II Gray Primer & Microfiller. Don’t ask me why I did that because I’m still scratching my head over that one……. doh! If not careful in the handling of the figure now there has been some paint chipping. For me personally and especially with a white metal figure I will not be going there again.  :P I shall be returning to good old Tamiya’s Gray Surface Primer for plastic or metal in the rattle can that is available within a short drive and has always been a solid performer for me.

The white metal figure parts had been scrubbed with a toothbrush using dish washing liquid, rinsed in warm water and allowed to air dry before applying the Alclad primer. This has been the only annoying part of this project. So, now some extra touch-up has become part of the work.  ::)

Off my soap box now….. at least for now.

Paddy  :)   

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
Looks great. Are you going to dry run the tail in while you glue in the arm? I use auto primer but we work with what works best!!!

Steve

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »
Looks great. Are you going to dry run the tail in while you glue in the arm? I use auto primer but we work with what works best!!!

Steve

Thanks Steve and you're right on. The rudder will be temporarily pinned to the base to get the correct setting for the right arm and hand. By the way, the figure has not been glued to the base at this point and is removable.

Paddy

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
Wow, this is looking nice. I have several Model Cellar figs I'd like to assemble and paint one of these days, perhaps I'll pick up some good pointers.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2012, 11:30:01 PM »
Thanks for that Kevin. Yes, those Model Celler figures are nice. Have a few of those in the stash myself.  :)

Paddy

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »
Looks superb, Paddy.  :o
You're doing a great job.

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »
Just so I understand Paddy; you airbrushed a shade of Tamiya brown and then used a brush to lay in the base colour? I ask, because I'm seeing a very effective (and subtle I might add) contrast between the two shades of brown. It looks exactly like a well worn, discoloured leather jacket to me, just as it stands. This paint job looks very, very realistic!

Do you have any closeups of the jacket? This is something I'd like to try to replicate.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.